Why become a member? ×

Rigs on the cheap

niceguyhomer

Anyone who knows me will tell you I've owned a lot of gear in my short time as a bassist. At the peak of my gear madness, I used to take nearly £5,000 worth of gear on stage - nearly half of which was attributable to my 'rig'. Tonight I rehearsed with my band with an old (but new to me) Trace Elliott 200 watt 1x15 combo with a 1x15 Trace extension cab underneath - it cost me £350 in total and dya know what, it sounded immense. It rattled my cheeks and brought the biggest smile to my face ever.

Just had to share that with ya.

OK, I'll be a taker and put my head above the parapet!

Is there something in the way basses and bass playing has developed since the 80's? Extended range, active controls, slap techniques etc that require a bit more than what bass amps were providing? Hence a huge development in higher end amplification seeking a more hi-fi end result? This coupled with the development of new technology to make the kit smaller and lighter.

However, I would (with my tin hat on) suggest that only something like 10-20% off bass playing actually benefits from allthis additional technology and most of it is perfectly well catered for by a rig such as the one you describe.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1322135309' post='1446900']
I have a peavey combo and a 2 x 12" guitar amp which I use together. I think it cost me £250 or so in total. The sounds I can get (using pedals too) are just amazing, and it's easily loud enough for pubs without PA.
[/quote]

But you're a drummer!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1322129453' post='1446762']
However, I would (with my tin hat on) suggest that only something like 10-20% of bass playing actually benefits from all this additional technology and most of it is perfectly well catered for by a rig such as the one you describe.
[/quote]

Agree with this totally, no tin hat necessary! (Gets in wardrobe).

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1322091398' post='1446545']
Anyone who knows me will tell you I've owned a lot of gear in my short time as a bassist. At the peak of my gear madness, I used to take nearly £5,000 worth of gear on stage - nearly half of which was attributable to my 'rig'. Tonight I rehearsed with my band with an old (but new to me) T[b]race Elliott 200 watt 1x15 combo with a 1x15 Trace extension cab [/b]underneath - it cost me £350 in total and dya know what, it sounded immense. It rattled my cheeks and brought the biggest smile to my face ever.

Just had to share that with ya.
[/quote]

Remember that that rig costed close to £2K new! That's not exactly what you could call a cheap rig! But i understand your point and agree with you, sometimes we spend a lot of money in gear and the improvement in sound is not always that noticeable!

I love my modern rig every time I move it, which is every rehearsal and every gig. Loved the old SVT and 8x10, but wouldn't go back to it now. My modern rig cost less than my old one did back then, too, tho none of it was ever bought new.

If I had to go back to a bigger rig, I'd get a 2nd hand Roland D-Bass combo and maybe the extension cab. Maximum bang per buck, with some modern refinement, too.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1322139414' post='1447024']
Remember that that rig costed close to £2K new! That's not exactly what you could call a cheap rig! But i understand your point and agree with you, sometimes we spend a lot of money in gear and the improvement in sound is not always that noticeable!
[/quote]
The current TE1215 Combo, (OK a bit more powerful), has a retail price of £1582. Just shows how quick electronic items can de-value.

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1322178917' post='1447758']
I was thinking the same thing Alan - though glad to hear you haven't
[/quote]

I did jack in and found a replacement. I sold my rig, blew the money on camera gear then my replacement changed his mind. The band was 5 weeks away from their first gig so I agreed to do it for their sake. Belive me, as soon as I can make a dignified exit, I will.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1322129453' post='1446762']

However, I would (with my tin hat on) suggest that only something like 10-20% off bass playing actually benefits from allthis additional technology and most of it is perfectly well catered for by a rig such as the one you describe.
[/quote]

+1

I've sold all my expensive amps and cabs now and I'm more than happy with my Ashdown gear. The whole rig I use cost me less than one of the cabs I used to own!

I think it's possible to do low cost and decent quality all at the same time.

My Trace Elliot head (which is unmarked and immaculate order )and Peavey 410 together owe me a grand total of £160.
The sound is utterly immense.

Plenty of grunt, that's for sure, and a sound that I would do very little to change.
I like it so much that I sometimes open the cupboard, take a look at it and then close the cupboard again.

What would that sort of money have bought me new ?
Very very little.

I went through the tried everything route and have settled for 2 rigs now that are flexible
Roland d-bass combo with extension
marshall mb450 head and 2 2x10 cabs
All picked up s/h hand apart from original roland combo which replaced ampeg head and cab.
I have the flexability to use one combo or head and one cab or beef it up if needed.
Roland is a superb piece of kit.Marshall is old school rock sound which I prefer to the ampeg rig.
I do like the sound of big EBS rigs but can,t justify on price grounds .
Roland don,t seem to make the big watt combos any more which is a shame as they are fabulous pieces of kit.most users keep quiet about them and smile.

I think the main thing modern gear has that the old stuff doesn't is lightweight portability. This is what manufacturers have been doing for the last 20 years, making stuff that works the same, but smaller and lighter.

I use a 70s Peavey Combo for practice, didn't cost much, about £50 s/h, but good enough sound and its loud enough for most gigs - not that I use it at gigs because it weighs a ton! My 80s SWR rig sounds amazing (I've yet to hear a 4x10 better) and I do gig with it all the time but its also heavy and cumbersome. Now I'm looking for something that will do the same job but smaller and lighter, that's all :)