Why become a member? ×

We've had the mad/technical stuff. But what is your favourite SLOOOOW song/piece?

Bilbo

We all have out heads turned by the frantic playing of the Wootens, the Sheehans, the Manrings etc but, in an effort to achieve Basschat Balance, I wondered what are people's favourite slow songs. I am not using 'slow songs' in the perjorative 'last dance at the wedding/fundtion' sense. I mean what pieces of music move or excite you without the histrionics or even without a backbeat or a bass.

Some of mine.....

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Faure's Pavanne.

O Solitube by Branford Marsalis

Veja Esta Cancao by David Sanchez

Fool No More by Peter Green

First Snow - Dave Holland

Guide Vocal - Genesis

Arrimate Mi Amor by Claudia Acuna

Alfonsia Y El Mar also by Claudia Acuna

and, new to the list, The Waking by Kurt Elling

Just started working on Slow Crash Landing Man by Spocks Beard. Not a technically demanding song at all, and live Dave Meros plays a lot of the bass on a keyboard, but getting light & shade and everyone to play it slow enoughand together is a real trial. There's a lot of racing away and even with the drummer trying to use a click it had been dragged away from what I have calculated at around 45 BPM.

All that said, if it comes together (and the keyboard player is muttering about not being an octopus to cover all the keys) it will make a great set closer.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1320852939' post='1432277']
We all have out heads turned by the frantic playing of the Wootens, the Sheehans, the Manrings etc
[/quote]

Probably in the minority but quite the opposite, these players bore me to tears. Ok, maybe not the players themselves but their style of music. To me its like sitting in front of an open freezer naked, leaves me very cold and numb (yes, i have).

Call me shallow but im quite taken with Take That's Rule the world at the moment.

There, ive said it. I expect to be either banned or ridiculed by the end of the day :-)

[sub]If this isn't deemed too pacy how about a bit of metheney and his buddies[/sub]

[sub][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8NvhdFde_g[/media][/sub]

[sub][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHW71uW9nU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHW71uW9nU&feature=related[/url][/sub]

Edited by KevB

Do I Love You - Ella Fitzgerald
She's Out of My Life - Michael Jackson
Wish You Were Here - Fourplay
If This World Were Mine - Luther Vandross/Cheryl Lynn
I Wants To Stay Here - Oscar Peterson
No One - George Duke
Just to Keep You Satisfied - Marvin Gaye
Soweto Blues - Hugh Masekela
Get Here If You Can - Oletta Adams
Setembrero (Brazilian Wedding Song) - Take 6

*Hard to choose one..

Slow, eh? Got to be Jesusalem by Sleep - Al Cisneros delivering the low stuff, just wait until it kicks in... and I do mean wait.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WDyBB6REwQ[/media]

And for all you nit-pickers, I'll take the Jerusalem mix over Dopesmoker any day, it's a much thicker sound, used to shake the sh*t out of my car when I'd drive aound with it blasting. Dopesmoker was a bit of a let down when it was finally released, just didn't have that bear growl sound to it.

Edited by Doctor J

Good to hear you're enjoying "The Waking" Bilbo, it's one of my faves too. Infact the whole album (Nightmoves) is superb.

I'll add to the list:

Unravel - Bjork
Dream Operator - Talking Heads
Great Is Thy Faithfulness - Fernando Ortega
Grandma's Hands - Bill Withers