Why become a member? ×

I shouldn't be surprised (because I'm a bassist), but...

Muzz

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1320300244' post='1424944']
try something like "what do you want me to play in the middle 8 when you do the shouty bit?" see how that goes :)
[/quote]

:) :) :o
I'm for trying that next rehearsal.
Might even use it for the guitarist "when he's doing the screatchy bit"

Brilliant.

Dave :o

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1320314586' post='1425102']
It's still the same as me turning my whammy on plus 1 octave with some chorus after it for the entire practise. That's pretty mind-numbingly obvious to me.
[/quote]

You'll never get the sound of a 12 through using effects. I suppose everyone's different, but with the sort of sounds I use (loads of treble) you get a chime effect that you just simply cannot re-create with effects. You'll get the note sure, but you'll never, ever get the ludicrous amounts of harmonics and overtones that a 12 string generates. It just can't be done as I wondered the same thing, so tried it for a couple of evenings with a 4 string. Didn't work.

It sounds to me as if the OP's band mates don't know what you're about to unleash on them. Use that beast correctly and you can tear down skyscrapers. Dealing with 2nd guitarists will be a page in distant history. All that harmonic content will be missed (when you stop playing) and will make the stuff sound so amazingly hollow they'll beg you to play it on everything.

However, I've had mixed reactons on mine. When I got the 8 string, everyone in my band thought this was great (ironically my guitarist especially as we have a mutual love of King's X). When I got the 12 my guitarist couldn't wait to go for a jam for aforementioned reasons. However, one of my drummer mates thought it was just stupid. Fair comment as everyone's different. Is this not expanding your sound and achieving your own style? I never queried his sanity when he got a set of cymbals made in the shape of the batman insignia.... However, I digress.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1320336748' post='1425520']
You'll never get the sound of a 12 through using effects. I suppose everyone's different, but with the sort of sounds I use (loads of treble) you get a chime effect that you just simply cannot re-create with effects. You'll get the note sure, but you'll never, ever get the ludicrous amounts of harmonics and overtones that a 12 string generates.
[/quote]
This is totally correct. There's a natural chorusing/shimmering effect that happens with a 12ver that sounds awesome.
I tried using a chorus pedal on my Hamer 12ver once & I found that it completely killed the sound - it lost all of the overtones & just sounded messy.

Never hear a 12 string before. I've heard John Paul Jones playing an 8 string and it had a very BIG sound not unlike this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWNjFPDtRY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWNjFPDtRY&feature=related[/url]

Edited by gjones

I think I want one!

And they're pretty reasonable too [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Hagstrom-HB-8,-Black-Gloss~ID~12312.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Hagstrom-HB-8,-Black-Gloss~ID~12312.asp[/url]

Edited by gjones

If you're going to buy a Hagstrom 8-string back sure that you're happy with the tuning of the octave strings as you play higher up the neck, as there is no individual intonation adjustment for each string in the pair. There are moments in the posted clip where IMO the sound of the strings in the pair goes beyond a pleasant chorus and sounds just a bit too out of tune.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1320282520' post='1424910']
Unless this is something new it's one root note and 2 strings each one octave from the root, not a series of 3 octaves.

[/quote]

I'm not sure what it does, how it works or how to play it, but I like the colour & it sure looks cool......I really want one.....not that I'm shallow you understand :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1320342532' post='1425672']
Should I believe that the [i]natural chorusing/shimmering effect[/i] isn't caused by all those strings being slightly out of tune with each other? :)
[/quote]
I think so, and they vibrate independently and the different tones are made from different gauges and that kind of thing.

A small amount of out-of tuneness is part of that sound, a bit like a tremolo tuned accordion (where a second set of reeds is tuned slightly sharp) or detuning one oscillator on a synth. I have quite a high tolerance for this before it becomes unmusical, others can't stand it! I don't think it's my sense of pitch being bad either, just variations in where people draw the line between sounding interesting and being a racket.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1320336748' post='1425520']
You'll never get the sound of a 12 through using effects.
[/quote]

Cool, i've never tried one. That further rienforces my point that the difference in sound should have been mind numbingly obvious!

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1320399154' post='1426243']
And just how many tracks could you use one on before it ended up in the dusty corner?
Not for me.
[/quote]

Fair enough mate. I think this sort of stuff is an "aquired taste." Let's face it, plenty of folk think even 5 string basses are wrong. But in terms of how much you can use it on, that depends on what type of band you're in. I think Kings X did the whole of Faith, Hope Love with a 12. Just saying. I would imagine that if you're thinking of using it with your motown covers band for example you will be awaiting the P45. Ha!! :)

I played in a band in the early 80s where I would have seriously considered using an 8-string for the whole set had I been able the find one (and probably more importantly afford to buy it).

Now that I have one it gets limited use at the moment, but it's always on hand should I need it.

[quote name='Tengu' timestamp='1320252489' post='1424421']
I once played an entire song a semi tone flat just to prove a point - that everyone else was far too loud for a rehearsal. At the end they all looked really pleased with themselves and decided to move on as we had nailed that one.

I asked if they thought I should play flat for the gig as well and just got a load of blank looks. I really did wonder why I was there sometimes but they did say on a few occasions that I wasn't that they had noticed a difference.
[/quote]
I once played an entire song a semitone flat once, and I didn't notice, did worry me a bit till the guitarist also said he was in the wrong (right) key too :)