Why become a member? ×

Original Bass Sounds

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1319570250' post='1415998']
We can all recognise bass sounds from famous players. But has everything been done? Are there any new players out there that still have a recognisable signature sound these days?
[/quote]
I don't know the answer to your question but then again I can't even recognise bass sounds from famous players because most of the bassists who get mentioned in these threads I've never heard of or even knowingly heard.

Edited by EssentialTension

Jaco, Marcus Miller, Flea, Victor Wooten, Bernard Edwards, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Bootsy, Burnel, Louis Johnson, Stanley Clarke, etc...

I think that, over the decades, every sound has been done. But saying that, you often recognise a sound by its player

Apologies if I've missed out rock and other genre players.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1319571096' post='1416018']
Jaco, Marcus Miller, Flea, Victor Wooten, Bernard Edwards, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Bootsy, Burnel, Louis Johnson, Stanley Clarke, etc...
I think that, over the decades, every sound has been done. But saying that, you often recognise a sound by its player
[/quote]
But wouldn't Jaco still be recognisable if he was playing Geddy Lees bass? It might be a the technique that you recognise?

Mick Khan - identifiable in seconds..but what about genre?? can you tell the difference between the bass players from ABC/Hue & Cry/ Haircut 100??

What about Metal bassists - "it all sounds the same to me" - can you really tell who's playing just from their tone??

I've just realised that there are some people who may never have heard of these bands..I'm showing my age aren't I??

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1319576630' post='1416094']
As well as JJ Burnell, probably the only current bassist whose tone I`m fairly confident of recognising is Duf McKagan. And possibly, Mike Dirnt.
[/quote]

I'd be confident of spotting Matt Freeman from Rancid too. Very distinctive sound/feel/style for a punk bassist.

I would argue that making a 'signature' sound for yourself isn't very creative. I'd rather listen to a bassist who makes lots of different noises. Preferably on different instruments. Actually I'd buy a sousaphone myself if three-valve brass made any sense to me at all but I'm firmly entrenched in the world of strings unfortunately.

Not really a totally original tone, as he does sound a little bit like Geezer Butler in the early Sabbath days, But Scott Reeder of Kyuss fame. Very under rated player, with a very distinctive tone.

Would also put forward Dave Sherman from the days of the mighty Spirit Caravan for the huge wall of woolyness, courtesy of a Gibson EB2. Check out the album "Jug Fulla Sun" for some bowel loosening low end

[quote name='retroman' timestamp='1319581039' post='1416143']
Not really a totally original tone, as he does sound a little bit like Geezer Butler in the early Sabbath days, But Scott Reeder of Kyuss fame. Very under rated player, with a very distinctive tone.
[/quote]

I second that

Talking funk, the most immediately recognisable bassists I know are Bootsy (whether he uses effect pedals or not) and the originator of slap: Larry Graham.

With Bootsy, even if you listen to James Brown, Deee-Lite, Parliament, Funkadelic, Brides of Funkenstein, Sweat Band, Xavier, & solo works by George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, etc, you can usually immediately tell if its Bootsy on the bass or not either from the sound and the depth of the groove.

Likewise, with Larry Graham check out some of his work with Betty Davis, instantly recognisable to his sound with Sly and Grahm Central Station. The latter Sly & the Family Stone stuff (after Graham left) has a distinctly different sound.

The late Mark Adams (Slave) has a pretty recognisable sound and groove too, and was massively underrated in my opinion.

Are we not in danger of identifying bassists not only because of tone/style/sound etc but by the song. To prove the fact I think a blind audition of recordings of all the above playing the same songs in a variety of genres. Then we'd know.

I think it's a very hard to tell on recordings especially these days, after the producer has mixed, compressed, filltered, re-amped, and mastered a P bass could sound like a J or a ray could sound like a Ricky..

The same could be said for live.. I know I'm generalising a bit, but the differences become minimal.. but the player has more say in this over the instrument

I'm not sure people could tell the difference between nathan east and marcus miller on the same session and they both play different basses. They only was is if the bass player is the producer or part of it

You've got to play in an ensemble where you can hear the bass as a separate sound before you can indentify if the sound is any different or has any 'signature'. That happens less nowdays because making a feature of the bass is well and truly out of fashion compared to an era like the eighties. The other reason why it's less likely to happen is the proliferation of 5 string basses. Rumbling away on a heavy B-string cable might make your band sound good but is unlikely to get you noticed as an individual (as much as a traditional 4-string). 5 - string playing is good deal more anonymous for that reason hence there are less 'signature' sounds. It's no accident that the players that [i]have [/i]attracted more attention recently have a habit of playing on high tuned 6 strings where they're poking in to the guitar area (Squarepusher, etc)- or piccolo tuning 4 -strings (like M. Manring, etc). The innovations are unlikely to happen in the sub bass, IMO, and the anonymity is likely to persist for the foreseeable.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1319642126' post='1416802']You've got to play in an ensemble where you can hear the bass as a separate sound before you can indentify if the sound is any different or has any 'signature'. That happens less nowdays because making a feature of the bass is well and truly out of fashion compared to an era like the eighties. The other reason why it's less likely to happen is the proliferation of 5 string basses. Rumbling away on a heavy B-string cable might make your band sound good but is unlikely to get you noticed as an individual (as much as a traditional 4-string). 5 - string playing is good deal more anonymous for that reason hence there are less 'signature' sounds. It's no accident that the players that [i]have [/i]attracted more attention recently have a habit of playing on high tuned 6 strings where they're poking in to the guitar area (Squarepusher, etc)- or piccolo tuning 4 -strings (like M. Manring, etc). The innovations are unlikely to happen in the sub bass, IMO, and the anonymity is likely to persist for the foreseeable.[/quote]

Interesting points,but I don't think that 5/6 string players are any less individual than 4 string players. Players like Nathan East
and Anthony Jackson and Michael Rhodes do a lot of work in the lower register and sound very different from each other.
However I will agree that there are a number of players who do 'rumble away' on the B string and sound very much like each
other-although I think that this is mostly(but not exclusively) within the various genres of metal.
The guys playing in the upper range obviously get attention,but there are still a lot of great players who have developed their
'voice' in the lower ranges of the instrument. Then you get players like Jaquo III-X who are experimenting with extending
the range of the instrument well into the sub bass range-you might not dig the music,but it's an interesting concept and
approach.

Maybe it,s producers that are making their job easy with a one sound fits all on one or two channels-formula.
As has been pointed out excessive compressing,amp farming and all the other studio tricks.
It could be a symptom of the universal record everything as loud as you can for a CD.
I had a conversation with a producer and he would love to record things at lower levels to get a better overall sound when you listen to it but the public would react at having to turn up the volume on their stereo/sound source for the same apparent volume.Seems that volume is deemed to be good sound by the duped public.
We,ll just blame producers-easy.
Any producers want to contribute,Iwould be interested in any answers/opinions.