Why become a member? ×

Original Bass Sounds

Pete Academy

3 that spring to mind are John Enwistle, Peter Hook and Pete Steele (JJ mentioned earlier). All instantly recognisable. Having said that, they are all players where their sound is very upfront and part of the whole recognisable sound of the band. Most bands don't require this from a bass player. In m y younger days I was always trying to find a sound the would allow my playing to push through as a signature sound for the band, now that I have mellowed with age the tone that I look for is one that melds with the overall sound of the band. That doesn't mean that the bass has to sit in the background, it can still have presence and drive the grooves.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1319625409' post='1416479']
Talking funk, the most immediately recognisable bassists I know are Bootsy (whether he uses effect pedals or not) and the originator of slap: Larry Graham.

With Bootsy, even if you listen to James Brown, Deee-Lite, Parliament, Funkadelic, Brides of Funkenstein, Sweat Band, Xavier, & solo works by George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, etc, you can usually immediately tell if its Bootsy on the bass or not either from the sound and the depth of the groove.

Likewise, with Larry Graham check out some of his work with Betty Davis, instantly recognisable to his sound with Sly and Grahm Central Station. The latter Sly & the Family Stone stuff (after Graham left) has a distinctly different sound.

The late Mark Adams (Slave) has a pretty recognisable sound and groove too, and was massively underrated in my opinion.
[/quote]

Mark Adams dead, that passed me by I never knew that, one of my all time hero's :)..also Drac Hicks has passed on :)