Why become a member? ×

'Super 1x12' bass cabinets

Musicman20

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1319819065' post='1419005']
Well, now my rig looks like this I can add comment.
[attachment=92104:rig1.jpg]
Basically...

Jesus!

It's very well built, has a very and even uncoloured sounding tone, weighs nothing and allows me to release the full 1000W from the Puma making it shockingly loud. The tweeter adds a subtle sparkle up top which to be honest I'm finding nearly unnecessary as the midrange driver sounds so good. And the midrange driver can also be fully unleashed by another switch adding a lot of aggression to the tone if you want it.

It only arrived today, but I'm wondering why on earth I never did this months ago considering the ability to take a trial is always there. Much though I love my Bergs, I can't see them surviving this.
[/quote]

Immense mate. I have a Puma 500 into a compact and midget t. It sounds like I always imagined I wanted my bass to sound live. Perfect modular set up too in terms of some gigs with both, some with cmpact, some with midget t. Brilliant.

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1319819065' post='1419005']
Well, now my rig looks like this I can add comment.
[attachment=92104:rig1.jpg]
Basically...

Jesus!

It's very well built, has a very and even uncoloured sounding tone, weighs nothing and allows me to release the full 1000W from the Puma making it shockingly loud. The tweeter adds a subtle sparkle up top which to be honest I'm finding nearly unnecessary as the midrange driver sounds so good. And the midrange driver can also be fully unleashed by another switch adding a lot of aggression to the tone if you want it.

It only arrived today, but I'm wondering why on earth I never did this months ago considering the ability to take a trial is always there. Much though I love my Bergs, I can't see them surviving this.
[/quote]

Is that a Big Baby with a tweeter? They look very interesting

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1319869061' post='1419463']
Immense mate. I have a Puma 500 into a compact and midget t. It sounds like I always imagined I wanted my bass to sound live. Perfect modular set up too in terms of some gigs with both, some with cmpact, some with midget t. Brilliant.
[/quote]
To be honest the setup you have would probably be ideal for me as well, must sound very nice. Having picked up the Puma 1000 so cheap I just couldnt resist though :)
[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1319874017' post='1419486']
Is that a Big Baby with a tweeter? They look very interesting
[/quote]
Certainly is, although as I say I'm not even convinced I needed the tweeter as the midrange driver sounds so smooth up top. Still, it's not like there any harm having the option if I one day turn into a slap-lover (yea right)

I guess I should pile in here as I am running one of the new Acme 12" cabs. I cannot and am not speaking for any of the other cabs mentioned here but there is nothing "Maplin DIY" about the Acme. It is totally doing it for me - I bought it for a small rig for when I do not want to haul a bigger rig around (and we have all been there). It is a 4 ohm one and I am driving it with a GK MB Fusion which does 500w at that impedance. It has the low end extension that everyone refers to when discussing Acme cabs - it comfortably breathes all the way down to bottom B without getting shy at the lowest frequencies. It is light and easy to move around. I think it is slightly bigger than most of "super 12" cabs but it is shifting air effortlessly. I have not yet stacked it up against loud drums and distorted guitars, that is not why I bought it, I have other things that do that. I will do so at some stage - just to see. I am loving it.

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1319929526' post='1420325']

I don't think he said it needs 1000 watts
[/quote]
Agreed - that implies the cab is not sensitive, which I don't think is the case. There's a difference between [b]needs, [/b]and [b]can handle 1000 watts[/b]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1319739522' post='1418042']
Really liking the look of these cabs - how much are they going to sell for and do you have any retailers stocking them?

Would be keen to try them out.
[/quote]

Be interested to see how you think they sound compared with a Barefaced. Are they more professional looking because they are painted grey and have more writing on?

Great to see so many makers on the scene, would love to try them all!

Yes I think that they look a lot better than Barefaced and I think have some really good thought behind them too.

There are reasons why I would want to try these but needless to say they would not be replacing my Berg's!!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1319984568' post='1420808']

Be interested to see how you think they sound compared with a Barefaced. Are they more professional looking because they are painted grey and have more writing on?

Great to see so many makers on the scene, would love to try them all!
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1319999116' post='1421093']
Yes I think that they look a lot better than Barefaced and I think have some really good thought behind them too.

There are reasons why I would want to try these but needless to say they would not be replacing my Berg's!!
[/quote]

They aren't 'painted grey'. The finish isn't just a grey paint but a sprayed on heavy duty coating.

What makes you think that these can't be better than bergs?

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

I am not saying that they may not be better than the bergs but I like those cabs and will keep them no matter what - I am interested in these as a lightweight option and in addition to what I use already. Of course if they blew my socks off then who knows what might happen in the future. I would just like to try them out in the first instance.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1320000195' post='1421110']

They aren't 'painted grey'. The finish isn't just a grey paint but a sprayed on heavy duty coating.

What makes you think that these can't be better than bergs?

Peter
[/quote]

[quote name='bass_by_name' timestamp='1319898973' post='1419899']
Another Barefaced that needs 1000 watts?
[/quote]
Thats twisting things somewhat...the actual issue here is that the Puma 1000 that I have (the older version) will only put out the 1000W bridged into a minimum 8ohm load. Unlike a lot of the micros that all put out the max to a 4 ohm load. There is not a huge choice of cabs that are 8ohms and will handle that sort of power that I've seen. This was a massive plus point of the Big One or Big Baby for me.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1319562718' post='1415858']
Interesting to apply the word 'boutique' to these cabs..
The Baer is about the only one that is getting there in terms of the pics and then they go and spoil it with the handles and footpads, IMO.
[/quote]

Hey all, Just discovered this thread and thought I would pop on. The rubber handle was chosen because it is comfortable on the hand and makes the cab an easy one-hand carry. When it comes to bottom protection, you can either go rubber footpads, or plastic corners. The rubber footpads get the cab up of the floor a bit and help provide some vibration relief, all of which can help on a boomy platform stage. Feet were added to the side of the cab as most guys using just one ML112 tend to turn the cab on end to get the mid driver up closer to your ear.
Roger Baer

Edited by R Baer