Why become a member? ×

Mixed feelings about new band album

neepheid

Have any of you ever joined a band which was in the throes of finishing (mixing/mastering/artwork etc.) an album? Did you find it weird that it wasn't you that was playing the bass on the album despite you now playing the songs live and promoting said album? It feels a bit weird to me. I wish it was me. Oh well, it'll be me on the next one I suppose. I hope!

Edited by neepheid

I completely understand where you are coming from. I joined my last band at just this point in the process - luckily they let me re-record the bass parts as they weren't all that happy with the existing ones, but if they hadn't, I think I would have felt the same ambivalence as you towards the album.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319106992' post='1409912']
If Foo Fighters offered me the job of bass player, I wouldn't suddenly get "nostalgic" about[i] Monkey Wrench [/i]...
[/quote]

Techincally, the album was called "The Colour and the Shape" :)

Don't worry yourself too much. If it's going to be too much work for them to re record it then that's unfortunate but as you said before it'll be you next time. Get writing some awesome bass lines for then :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319107693' post='1409924']
Technically, the song was called [i]Monkey Wrench[/i], and still is as far as I know. I was talking about the song, not the album.

But don't lose any sleep over it.
[/quote]

Ok so we're on a thread talking about albums and you say "it's not a surprise you don't have a great emotional connection to your band's [i]album[/i]" then you suddenly start talking about a single? You can see why people might get confused, no?

Now Girls............... :)

Anyways, Is it affecting the way you perform on stage? ie are you not enjoying the songs? This was the case when I joined my current originals band. The basslines were just typical root note stuff so I re-wrote them for live shows.
Maybe you could give that a go.

I joined a band after they had an album out, and in some ways, it made me able to push it a lot more, cos I wasn`t being the "big star" with his new album, so pushed it purely as it was a great album.

Did make me laugh tho, we played a gig, and some guy asked us to play one of the songs on it. All the rest of the band agreed, at which point I frantically pointed out "I don`t know it, I`m not on the album, remember". So we went through it in the soundcheck, and after the gig, said guy offered the opinion that we were amazing as we sounded just like our album when playing live......

Yes, my current band I am in this situation. They released an album back in Feb and I joined them in March. To be honest, the bass lines are not much so I have spiced them up and they said they so wished they had me on the album. Thankfully we are starting to record the second album in a couple of weeks so I can't wait for that. We are also going to record one of the songs from the first album as they prefer my bass line and how the song sounds now. It was fun learning the old album though and then totally changing the bass lines :)

I should point out that I like the songs and I enjoy playing them! I wouldn't be in a band whose songs I didn't like or enjoy. It's just a bit weird pushing and promoting an album I don't appear on. Live, I have put my own stamp on the songs I felt I could, but kept it pretty much the same on others when I reckon the bass line as it stands complements the song.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319114977' post='1410070']
I can't understand why a band would want to release an album that wasn't quite finished but already the line up had changed.

If it was my band I'd be getting the new members into the studio to replace the parts of those who had left (which I have done in the past).
[/quote]

I think really it depends on whether you really need to or not. If, for example, you replaced the old bass player because they were sh*t and their bass lines were boring then probably a good idea but if the last player was competent and played what they needed to then sometimes it might just not be worth it, especially if it's already being mastered, which can be expensive just to go and do it again.

I have very strong feeling about this, since I've been put in the situation by other musicians before, but my view is that, if you're not prepared to be in the band any more then you don't deserve to be on any proposed forthcoming releases. This is more important than ever since there is potentially money involved for the ex-members through the PPL.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1319107839' post='1409928']
The chances are I'd be replaced on any album by a good session musician anyway :)
[/quote]
Could be worse - you could be replaced by the guitarist's untalented, overweight 17 year old son like Michael Anthony was. Now[i] that's [/i]a kick in the teeth... Still, imagine having to live up to 33 years of classic rock, knowing that you weren't even born for the first half of it. :)

I'm in this position - I joined a band just as they were finishing off their album, so I'm out there promoting a CD that I'm not even on. I even spent 2 hours last night assembling 100 CD cases/inserts from the last print run.
The band didn't have a bass player before I joined, so I haven't got the hassles of living up to any expectations, but I have replaced the accordion player on gigs as he's in 5 other bands and isn't always available (and we don't get enough from gigs to make the 5 piece commercially viable), so I get a cut of CD sales for promoting a CD that I'm not playing on wheras the accordion player doesn't get a penny. Now that's awkward.

I too am in this position with Rattlin Bone - I joined after the double lass lines on the debut album 'The life and death of ...' had already been recorded by Wily Bo, the front man (who is a bass player too). TBH, doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love playing live with this band and there's some really nice people in it too. Plus I am recording stuff for the next album and some side project stuff (eg, the lady singer's first single, which I put in the Recording forum in BC). I am just grateful to have fallen on my feet with such a good band!

I was in the same situation when i joined LBD, the previous bass player got studio nerves and left the rest of the band to record the album without him and i joined after it was finished. It was rather strange trying to promote the album as whole heartedly as if it were my own (especially as i had my picture in the booket!!) but then again it was great having the album to learn the tracks to, rather than in a rehearsal or something. It was also good to get a feel for what kind of playing was needed for the band as i had been playing thrash metal for 10 years so my brain needed re setting lol.

After a while they kind of grew into my own as the basslines became my own so they all feel rather natural compared to when i first started playing them.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319116711' post='1410109']
I have very strong feeling about this, since I've been put in the situation by other musicians before, but my view is that, if you're not prepared to be in the band any more then you don't deserve to be on any proposed forthcoming releases. This is more important than ever since there is potentially money involved for the ex-members through the PPL.
[/quote]
+1

I know things can happen and a player can feel compelled to leave at any point, but it really grinds my gears that there seem to a significant number of players who think 'I'm going to leave, but I'll hang about just long enough to get my name on an album'. Sod 'em. Just wipe their parts and start afresh with a new player.

I like the songs, I think it's a good album, I enjoy playing it live, and I'm enjoying putting my own stamp on them where I can and feel it is appropriate. This is an opportunity to pick up the ball and run, and I am ready to run with it.

I guess my main (only?) beef is the promoting of the album. I want the band to be a success so feel I should help but it feels a bit false bugging people about an album which I don't appear on. Particularly on here, where the whole focus is on the bass. I feel squirmy enough putting a link in my sig. If I put up a thread about it then I'm going to have to deal with anyone making a comment on the bass playing with some sort of disclaimer at the beginning (which no-one will read) and me having to say that it isn't me to avoid both positive and negative comments being associated with my playing, as I will have earned neither. I don't even see the relevance of mentioning it here, other than to say "this is what I'm playing live nowadays".

Perhaps some live footage (with decent sound) might help mitigate that - this is the album, I'm not on it but I am in this vid and this is how I think it should go :)

Having said all that, the drummer's in the same boat.

I really can't see what the problem is. You joined after this period that you are promoting..it is no different than touring a band who are playing songs from before your rime with them. This is normal for a sideman.

Seems to me you don't really rate the product so therefore you have be upfront about it and say it isn't you playing... end of.
Anyone following an established band would know this anyway.
The good thing is that you will not have to do much radio/interview work.

If it is a decent paying and moving forward gig, focus on that and you'll have more input next time.