Why become a member? ×

Opinions please, although I know the answer....

vmaxblues

Hi All,

We have a charity gig coming up in a couple of weeks time, and there will be two bands playing, and the old chestnut of 'can the other bass player use your rig' question has arisen. I have had this situation before and it always ends in tears, mine! the last big charity bash I did where I let the othe bass player use my rig saw the end of vintage Trace head.

The other issue I have is that it will be a double bass (rockabilly) firing through my rig which I am really unsure about. My rig is and an Eden WT400 signature traveller head and 2 no 1 x 15" Markbass traveller cabs, which is a really sweet sounding setup and I would be mortified to see it toasted.

My gut feeling at the moment is to say No. I am interested to see what you guys think, and especially what horrors a wildly slapped double bass could bestow on my pride and joy!

This is always a problem when this comes up at gigs.

Over the years, it seems that it's been a bit one-way traffic for me as it's usually the other player that needs my rig and never the other way round.

I voted "depending on the player" and I'd stand by that. If I knew him and trusted him, then no problem. Afterall, it does save change over and set-up time.

However, it seems that you do not know the other bassist so you can't really lend your gear out and simply hope that they won't just do the "11" with all the knobs, which, has happened to me in the past resulting in me shouting at the guy on stage and turning down the bass and low mids before it all went pear-shaped. I just got a blank daft look in return.

Is it not possible to get in touch with the other player and maybe get a feel for how he's likely to behave with your rig?

[quote name='RhysP' post='1369136' date='Sep 11 2011, 09:59 AM']Just be honest with the organiser - tell them the last time you let somebody use your amp at a charity gig they ruined it so you're not willing to do it this time.
Can't be fairer than that.[/quote]

This.

You're already giving your time, why add your equipement ? Is there a good reason why the other player doesn't want to bring a rig ?

Other threads on this topic abound with horror stories of rigs destroyed in circumstances just like this. If it were mine, I'd be saying

[size=7]NO[/size]

I've voted "depending on the player". I had a chap put his double bass through my Markbass 2x10 combo & it was well respected. Sounded sweet too!

If you're concerned, you could have the organisers sign a contract that covers any damage to your gear.
Or they could hire a rig.

The fact that this is a charity gig , may make your refusal to share your rig '' uncharitable '' in the eyes of others , but equally , if Mr Slap Happy blows up your rig , will he/she pay for the repairs .
I have been caught out in this situation before , handing over my pride + joy with a promise to look after it , only to watch some cretin doing his best Curt Cobain impression with my equipment .
You are donating your time + musical skill +equipment . Let the other band do the same .

I voted : maybe if I knew the player.

But if I didn't know the player then it would be a no. Although I know I would end up feeling guilty and uncharitable.

I find find myself these days not giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I assume they are cretins until they have proved otherwise.

Big NO from me.
I've already given my time and talent to the 'cause', I am not about to risk my equipment or spend time faffing about trying to put the settings back to where they started on top of that.

In the past when I've said 'no' to an organiser there's been no argument about it - they've accepted my decision without argument or sulking and made alternative arrangements.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1369136' date='Sep 11 2011, 09:59 AM']Just be honest with the organiser - tell them the last time you let somebody use your amp at a charity gig they ruined it so you're not willing to do it this time.
Can't be fairer than that.[/quote]

I voted no, save your rig. The only time I`d let someone else use my rig was if I had seen them play, and knew what sound they were going for, which I deemed ok to go through my amp. A couple of bassists I know I`d have no worries with them, but if it was someone I didn`t know, the above is the response.

if its only two bands playing (presumably yours and the other band) then you should be able to get some idea of the other bassists playing etc to be able to make a reasonable decision if you were wanting to err on the side of being charitable

if i knew the other bassists and/or had reliable info about his playing style/experience etc then i would prob be generous and say yes but if it was a big multi-band affair id be buggered if id risk letting some little unheard of barely post-teenage screamo thrash the nuts out of my rig

i wish i could do these sort of agony aunt answers in the style of Holly from The Daily Mash :)

Definitely do not let this mug anyway near your equipment.

For one, you'd be enabling Rockabilly, a serious offence in itself.

Secondly, the chance is that something will go wrong. You've had it happen once, don't let it happen twice. The best you'll get if the amp does go bang is the other bassist looking sheepish and saying sorry. Follow your common sense and don't let them anywhere near it. Instead, chide them for being so unprofessional. If they can't do their set without using someone else's gear they shouldn't be playing at all.

I always get the feeling people think i'm being snobby or offish if i say no but you gotta look after yourself IMO, we do gigs with a couple of other local bands quite often and i'm more than happy to share my gear with these guys because we're all friends and i know they will respect it and should anything happen they would pay for the repairs. But if it's someone i don't know my mind instantly goes back to a gig i did back in the 90's when i let the support band's bass player use my brand new Trace rig, it was a AH350SM, 2103H and 1518 and i'd saved for bloody ages to buy it. He was happy enough to borrow it but obviously didn't like the clean sound it produced, he thought the best idea was to max everything to make it distort! I watched in horror as the overload light stayed on constantly for there first number before i got his attention after the song to say to him "turn the gain down, it's farting its bollocks off!" His answer was "Nah man, i like the distortion"!! We exchanged a few polite words before i turned it down myself and ended the conversation with " You touch that gain again and i'll f**king pan you"( i was a bit fiery in my youth)! Anyway, the point of the story is, in an ideal world all bass players would treat each other's gear with care and respect, but the reality is sadly different!

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1369254' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:42 AM']He was happy enough to borrow it but obviously didn't like the clean sound it produced, he thought the best idea was to max everything to make it distort![/quote]

I assume it was clipping like mad in that state too, you were right to storm the stage and put him right!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369268' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:51 AM']I assume it was clipping like mad in that state too, you were right to storm the stage and put him right![/quote]
Yes it certainly was! I think the thing i found most alarming was his ignorance, the fact he couldn't see why i was starting to get the hump with him, which just made me worse! I remember thinking, surely he can't be that stupid/deaf to think what he's doing to it is normal.

I voted yes, as I've done it a couple of tomes with no problem. I just expalined to the player in question that if it was not returned to me in the condition that I handed it over I'd rip his head off and sh1t in the hole that was left. Seemed to work, plus we know most of the local bands in any case.

Know the player and the circumstances...

I have a few dates with support acts and it makes sense to have a clear stage etc... and I kind of put my rig forward....but I do want to speak
to the guys first.
If I am in the same position and a rig is offered, I always ring the guy first and talk it through..and mostly I have declined what is being offered, but that is my choice and another story.

If I was doing someone a favour, or vice-versa, it is only right to have a chat about it.
I'd be put-out if any old herbert turned up and expected to plug in just as a matter of course.

In your shoes, the very least is the borrower should be told to call you and have the chat..!!

What is it with rockabilly bands...???? :) :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1369329' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:43 PM']Know the player and the circumstances...

In your shoes, the very least is the borrower should be told to call you and have the chat..!![/quote]

This! He's the one on the cadge so it's just polite to ask in person rather than get some third party to ask on your behalf. Where's his own gear? There may be a perfectly logical reason why he would rather use yours, but surely it's better for him to explain this to you in person?

Bad manners in all forms irritates me - so for that reason in these circumstances I might well say no... but if he asked nicely and promised to take care, I could be persuaded to accept.

Problem is, I never see myself in the position of needing to use anyone else's gear - so unless there is a sound reason I don't see why I should be expected to lend mine out.

It's a bit of a non starter.

An experienced bass player is going to want something they are familiar with, so the last thing they'd want to be doing is battling with controls trying to get 'your sound'.
My experience is that after being told 'no', every one of these bass players manages to turn up with something... and then proceed to thrash the b*ll*cks out of it.

IMO if a bass player just expects to plug in and go, then alarm bells about their experience should start to ring.

I won't actually do gigs where I'm expected to use a 'shared' rig any more.