Why become a member? ×

I've realised some important sh*t while I've been away from here ..

xilddx

.. that this quest for the perfect bass bullshit, is BULLSHIT!

Being on basschat has somewhat corrupted my thinking, that I need a bass that's perfect for me. I don't. I need a good bass, good strings, and my brain. That is all. I've been playing, not talking, and I have found out that all I need is a decent bass. There is little difference between any of the basses I have had, only practical things. Playing and thinking about music has shown me that any decent bass will do. I've talked about bass far too long. When you actually PLAY, you start getting a more real connection with yourself, and the instrument itself becomes less and less important. Your LIFE is what is important. Live it and you will speak though your bass.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Clarky' post='1348460' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:48 PM']But Nige, when have you EVER talked about bass on BassChat? :lol:

[size=1]PS, I am sure you are right about having a useable bass and the rest being down to the player, by the way[/size][/quote]
You haven't seen me on the Theory & Technique section have you :) :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1348456' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:45 PM']Your LIFE is what is important. Live it and you will speak though your bass.[/quote]
absolutely.

heard an interview with Peter Hook on the wireless not so long ago, saying something along the lines of .. 'there's something to be said for musicians staying poor, in order to create good art'

-not my favourite bassist, but a well made point, all the same. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1348456' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:45 PM'].. that this quest for the perfect bass bullshit, is BULLSHIT!

Being on basschat has somewhat corrupted my thinking, that I need a bass that's perfect for me. I don't. I need a good bass, good strings, and my brain. That is all. I've been playing, not talking, and I have found out that all I need is a decent bass. There is little difference between any of the basses I have had, only practical things. Playing and thinking about music has shown me that any decent bass will do. I've talked about bass far too long. When you actually PLAY, you start getting a more real connection with yourself, and the instrument itself becomes less and less important. Your LIFE is what is important. Live it and you will speak though your bass.[/quote]

Have to agree with a huge +1

I've begun to spend a lot less time on basschat recently and realised the same thing. Far too many threads that are just full of bullsh!t/pointless cyclic arguments about something totally irrelevant.

I'll be browsing the 'for sale' section but will be following your fine example and actually spend more time being a musician in the real world, where you not only have to talk the talk, but walk the walk (literally on most of my function/jazz gigs! :))

Edited by skej21

[quote]I need a good bass, good strings, and my brain. That is all. I've been playing, not talking, and I have found out that all I need is a decent bass. There is little difference between any of the basses I have had, only practical things. Playing and thinking about music has shown me that any decent bass will do. I've talked about bass far too long. When you actually PLAY, you start getting a more real connection with yourself, and the instrument itself becomes less and less important. Your LIFE is what is important. Live it and you will speak though your bass.[/quote]

+1000!!

couldn't have said it better myself......

[quote name='silddx' post='1348456' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:45 PM']....Being on basschat has somewhat corrupted my thinking, that I need a bass that's perfect for me. I don't. I need a good bass, good strings, and my brain. That is all....[/quote]
Yep. Buy good gear and then just love the sound you're making. It's the gig that counts.

Here, here: and a welcome return!

Didn't we have a lad on here, a couple of years ago now, who seemed to be flitting through Ken Smiths in his quest for the perfect bass?

I'm probably still in the space of ignorant bliss compared to a lot of you more knowledgable chaps.

[quote name='silddx' post='1348456' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:45 PM']. and I have found out that all I need is a decent bass.[/quote]

Ah, but what exactly is a decent bass, is ash better than alder, rosewood vs maple or ebony, active vs passive , red vs blue, your back in the wheel :)

And yes it's all bull, and theres fun in that if you recognise thats all it is

Edited by lojo

[quote name='silddx' post='1348456' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:45 PM'].. that this quest for the perfect bass bullshit, is BULLSHIT!

Being on basschat has somewhat corrupted my thinking, that I need a bass that's perfect for me. I don't. I need a good bass, good strings, and my brain. That is all. I've been playing, not talking, and I have found out that all I need is a decent bass. There is little difference between any of the basses I have had, only practical things. Playing and thinking about music has shown me that any decent bass will do. I've talked about bass far too long. When you actually PLAY, you start getting a more real connection with yourself, and the instrument itself becomes less and less important. Your LIFE is what is important. Live it and you will speak though your bass.[/quote]

Ahh! Grasshopper. You have reached the cloud of enlightenment. Cue Bach's "Air on a G-string".

Balcro.

I don't subscribe to the quest for tone type of thinking. Vibrating G String put it so perfectly in a thread the other day that I put it in my sig because it's what I'm all about :)

I like gear, and if I had money I'd buy a lot of things but give me one bass for the rest of my life and I wouldn't complain. There's more important things to fuss over. It's generally why I rarely discuss gear on this forum and like to talk more about music because the latter is more important to me.

Having the perfect bass and being able to play what you feel aren't opposite ends of the spectrum. Its possible to have both. Whether someone has the patience or luck to find the instrument that does exactly what they want it to is another matter.

You're on the money there Nige, but some folk need to go through a few basses to find one that is comfortable (how many is another debate).
I'm one of the lucky ones who's very happy with the same bass I bought 20+ years ago, though I'm gassing for a fretless 5 (or 6er) & some more fx even though my band doesn't currently require them!

I never really talk about basses, and i've only lusted after one is the past few years. I bought that bass and it's re-invigorated not only my quest for the absolute perfect tone (which i'm very near) it's also re-enthused my playing.

So yeh, talking about and looking at basses won't necessarily further your music, but buying a new instrument can be inspirational!