Why become a member? ×

Lack of Talent.

Dandelion

[quote name='Dandelion' post='1301458' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:20 PM']Can extensive practice ever make up for lack of talent?

If I practiced for 50 years, would I ever be as good as Jaco was after one? :)[/quote]

Surely if you practice alot then you will become talented at one style or another.
Do you want to play like Jaco then?

[quote name='Maverick' post='1301472' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:28 PM']Get your 10,000 hours done then let us know.[/quote]

In case you don't know, this refers to a book called 'The Bounce'. In a nutshell, it questions the idea of 'talent' and suggests, through research, that about 10,000 hours of the right kind of practise is necessary to be a 'master' at anything.
Interesting stuff. The forum had a good chew on it a while back. Here's the link
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=138177"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=138177[/url]

I don't think practice [without the talent and need to communicate through the medium of music] will do much without learning guidance, listening to the great music, playing with and learning to empathise with other musicians, surrounding yourself with talent, and most importantly, a deep deep love for music - like you would shrivel and die without it. You need it all.

The object of music is communication. I think people need that spark in them that makes music the best way for them to communicate.

[quote name='silddx' post='1301490' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:38 PM']The object of music is communication. I think people need that spark in them that makes music the best way for them to communicate.[/quote]
That's it, there. One could spend 100,000 hours practising and still manage to communicate nothing at all, however eloquently (or speedily) one might phrase it.

It's like storytellers. Lots of people have a perfectly adequate vocabulary and deep, fruity voices, but they can't tell an engaging story. Words, phrases, musical notes, scales. All entirely worthless if you're not building a link with the listener.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Dandelion' post='1301458' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:20 PM']Can extensive practice ever make up for lack of talent?[/quote]

The situation is a bit of a paradox I think because as you practice, any raw and basic talent you might have as a natural musician becomes refined and focused. People are put together differently and some people I'm sure are more musical than others but assuming you have as much drive as Jaco Pastorius did when he practiced then who can say what kind of dizzying heights you can achieve as a musician!

[quote name='ToneDeluxe' post='1301558' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:24 PM']practice and understanding.. [b]talent comes from mental and physical understanding[/b]... the patience is in the practice[/quote]
I tend to agree with this, but it's also the desire to understand and make connections with oneself and others. I don't think any great level of technical ability beyond the basics is necessary to communicate through music. But there is a lot of snobbery about with musicians. I think Paul Simonon is a great communicator on the bass, the things he says on the bass completely dwarf his technical ability. But he knows how to pick up on the ethereal things that music is really about. It's next to impossible to practice that.

If you practice & practice until you can play whatever songs you've been practising to a good level, then you have talent.
If you practice & practice until you can't play whatever songs you've been practising any more & are still crap, then you have no talent.

Depends what you start with..and what can be embellished, and developed, but basically I'd say no to the OP.

Som people can get astonishingly good in a relatively short space of time because they just have IT..others would never get there in a million years.

But the variables are what inate facilities do you have lurking and can develop.

I practice a lot, but I know I'm not the player I would be if I'd had the oppurtunity to play full time from a young age as many of the players we love have. Constant gigs, recording, in a craetive environment all the time, noodling away on a video shoot, bass in your hands 8 hrs a day etc etc. No amount of practice can replictae that I'm sure.