Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.5, Surrey, Saturday 24th September 2011

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1303719' date='Jul 14 2011, 04:31 PM']Just checked the fixture list. Oldham away. Been once. That was enough.

I mght come for a cup of tea and a chat. The thought of all this bass equipment and chops going on is freaking me out a little though! I'm a 'bash' virgin.[/quote]

The only chops I'll be bringing will be those on my face, and they're even more pitiful than my bass chops :-(

All those worried about not being an experienced player or anything like that, please don't think about it like that. There is genuinely more talking going on than playing, that's certainly the case for me.

Si

When I was a young boy learning bass, in the mid '70's, I was pretty much doing it on my own with no help around of any sort - no easy way to get playing advice, expertise about gear or just some friendly banter.. A couple of books and going to gigs was the only way to find stuff out.

So, for me, one of the really important things about these Basschat Bass Bashes, is to make it easier for bass players of all ages and all levels of experience to get together and share knowledge, learn about different styles of playing, try out new equipment, meet people from the Forum...and of course, have a brilliant time in the process!

It should say on the door "where fun is compulsory" or something like that.. :)

Nik, I presume you will be having a raffle and thus need some bass 'stuff' donations? I will have a dig around and see what I can come up with. Definitely have some vgc tab books (Bilbo!) kicking around, a Precision tort s/p and maybe some other bits and bobs

[quote name='urb' post='1302552' date='Jul 13 2011, 04:18 PM']As I mentioned earlier I'd be happy to give a demo - either in small group or to the whole Bash if my embarrassment levels will tolerate it - explaining some slap and picking techniques that get away from relentless machine gun triplets and always riffing away in open E or A when slapping... I'd be happy to have a few others plugging in as well to enable them to learn or share any of the techniques discussed/demonstrated...

Let me know if any of y'all is interested - we can always use one of the off-shoot performance rooms to do this in

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

How do I accept this offer without looking like a tit?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1304362' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:11 AM']Nik, I presume you will be having a raffle and thus need some bass 'stuff' donations? I will have a dig around and see what I can come up with. Definitely have some vgc tab books (Bilbo!) kicking around, a Precision tort s/p and maybe some other bits and bobs[/quote]
Good call.

I will donate my Bass Builders books/CDs actually.

[quote name='seashell' post='1303376' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:57 AM']I'll probably also turn up in ladies clothes and make up. What with being a lady and all...[/quote]

Excellent!

If you are caucasian, please resist the temptations of the shine box :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1304450' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:15 AM']How do I accept this offer without looking like a tit?[/quote]

You think you've got problems?

I would LOVE to learn how to slap ... because I [i][b]hate [/b][/i]slap bass. It's one thing refusing to play slap bass because you don't know how to do it, and quite another to know how to play slap bass but then choose not to. :)

I want to learn how to play slap bass so that I can choose not to play slap bass. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1304493' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:43 AM']You think you've got problems?

I would LOVE to learn how to slap ... because I [i][b]hate [/b][/i]slap bass. It's one thing refusing to play slap bass because you don't know how to do it, and quite another to know how to play slap bass but then choose not to. :)

I want to learn how to play slap bass so that I can choose not to play slap bass. :)[/quote]

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate it, so apart from that I agree with you. It would be nice to be able to give just the occasional flourish.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1304493' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:43 AM']....I would LOVE to learn how to slap ... because I [i][b]hate [/b][/i]slap bass. It's one thing refusing to play slap bass because you don't know how to do it, and quite another to know how to play slap bass but then choose not to....[/quote]
My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1304565' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:33 AM']This is what slap bass is for and how to do it right. Of course that's just in my humble opinion: No, actually it isn't, it's FACT! Do enjoy the bass break three minutes in.[/quote]

For me to have any desire to play a bass in that way is about as likely as me growing an Afro like his (what with me being a bald, middle-aged honky, an' all) or as my lead guitarist turning up at a gig dressed like a refugee from a judo class, and putting down his guitar halfway through the song in order to do a laughable high-kick cod-martial-arts dance. :)

Honestly, that piece of video looked like a Two Ronnies sketch to me.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1304362' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:11 AM']Nik, I presume you will be having a raffle and thus need some bass 'stuff' donations? I will have a dig around and see what I can come up with. Definitely have some vgc tab books (Bilbo!) kicking around, a Precision tort s/p and maybe some other bits and bobs[/quote]
Thanks Clarky and yes, we will be having a raffle.. Merton is handling that so any offers of stuff, please send him a PM.

Nik

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1304565' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:33 AM']Apologies for the lip synching...

This is what slap bass is for and how to do it right. Of course that's just in my humble opinion: No, actually it isn't, it's FACT! Do enjoy the bass break three minutes in.[/quote]

That was effing terrible...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1304565' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:33 AM']Apologies for the lip synching...

This is what slap bass is for and how to do it right. Of course that's just in my humble opinion: No, actually it isn't, it's FACT! Do enjoy the bass break three minutes in.[/quote]
:lol: :) :lol:
:D :lol: :)
:D :D :P

That is SOOOOOOOOO BAAAD! In a bad way!