Why become a member? ×

Fender 'Blacktop' Bass Series

AndyTravis

Heard rumours a while ago, and spotted some pictures from Frankfurt MusicMesse on the Bass Player website, so I was a bit shocked we'd not seen more about these one here?

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bassplayermag/5735098882/sizes/l/in/photostream/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/bassplayermag...in/photostream/[/url]

Is a picture of the Jazz...

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion?

The colour options are garbage, Black (Shock Horror) and some Dingy looking White, which is a shame, the guitar blacktop series got Sonic Blue and C.A.R. as well as fingerboard options...Bass versions are rosewood only.

So, semi-exciting, but not overly so.

I don't hate them, and they're a bit different. They're not great looking though. I quite fancy playing both, just to see what they're like. I can imagine myself really liking the Precision, and kind of liking the jazz, but never using the bridge pickup, which makes it pointless when I've already got a Mark Hoppus Jazz.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1267453' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:56 PM']MIM, and if they're anything like the guitar versions price wise, a bit cheaper than I expected.[/quote]

Sounds Live are advertising them at £519

[quote name='bremen' post='1267480' date='Jun 13 2011, 04:19 PM']That pickup by the bridge - surely the tone from the D and G is going to be jarringly different from the E and A?[/quote]

I don't know...it's not the first time Fender have used the double P pickup,and Leland Sklar's old Charvel/Fender
hybrid was a double P aswell.

I'm not big on the double P on a Jazz body,but I like the Precision with humbuckers. Ideally,they'd do a Jazz
with a P pickup in the middle and a humbucker at the bridge. I'd be all over one of those.

I had a Warlock NJ5 with P/P pickup configuration, and it sounded amazing... which is why I'm so unimpressed that they've put them on a Jazz body. I really aint a J fan. The Precision might be a good one to run BEAD if those pickups are as solid as they look, though.

I like. I like both. Especially if one or both of the JJ(big block)pick-ups are coil-tapped.
But...
Why put the PP in a J body and the JJ in a P body. Surely it ought to be the other way around (mind you, it'd put the P-lyte out of business, so to speak)
Pity they didn't go for the Warwick/Enwistle PP with the reverse offset P at the bridge position.
Still, if I want a JJ/JJ with coil switching in a J body, there's always a Roscoe Beck... If I can get one.
I like the fact that Fender are trying new stuff out, What we need now is a J/P/JJ "Super-Urge" or a HB/P/JJ "Tele-tude"!!

The jazz with P pickups looks hideous, but probably sounds monstrous...

I personally like the look of the Precision with those big block pickups, but not in those colours... basically Silver or Black... I would want white, or a nice black with Maple fretboard.

I also need to stop buying P basses now so i shouldn't be looking at this... i'm up to about 4. :)

I like JJs. I liked it in the "old" MIA Deluxe P in the bridge position, and the MEC versions found in the Infinity/Vampyre/Dolphin/Fortress MM etc. work a treat, too. In reality, they don't work or sound [i]that[/i] different to what you'd expect a MMHB to.
I don't think Fender are just chucking stuff together. These configurations have already been used by other manufacturers.
I do wonder which neck is on which bass, though. To be really perverse, they could use a P neck on the Jazz body and vice-versa for the other model!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1268170' date='Jun 14 2011, 07:48 AM']I like JJs. I liked it in the "old" MIA Deluxe P in the bridge position, and the MEC versions found in the Infinity/Vampyre/Dolphin/Fortress MM etc. work a treat, too. In reality, they don't work or sound [i]that[/i] different to what you'd expect a MMHB to.
I don't think Fender are just chucking stuff together. These configurations have already been used by other manufacturers.
I do wonder which neck is on which bass, though. To be really perverse, they could use a P neck on the Jazz body and vice-versa for the other model![/quote]

The picture of the P looks like a P neck. I'll be trying that one out for sure.

The proof will be in the pudding I guess.

These have got to be good for modification purposes.
Chuck a BadAss (other bridges are available!) on it, add an EQ or two of your choice, definitely have some series/parallel/single coil (delete as appropriate according to model of choice) switching, and away you go...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1268391' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:13 AM']These have got to be good for modification purposes.
Chuck a BadAss (other bridges are available!) on it, add an EQ or two of your choice, definitely have some series/parallel/single coil (delete as appropriate according to model of choice) switching, and away you go...[/quote]

Alternatively they may sound good, albeit look wrong, as they are

Edited by Delberthot