Why become a member? ×

When you get right down to it ...

Happy Jack

I've been lucky enough to own some great basses and some great rigs. Most of the basses can be found through my sig, if you're interested.

At Xmas, while recovering from a broken leg, Si Clifton came round to my place to do a deal. He left with four of my basses and I kept this: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2jns1/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2jns1/3[/url]

What with me playing mainly 5-strings on stage, in small pubs where headstocks can easily get smashed and valuable basses can get nicked, I've only played this Precision at home at noodling volumes.

I don't like owning basses that haven't been gigged (by me!) and an opportunity presented itself for me to play this live on stage at an open-air gig this Saturday (21st May), so I took the Precision along to a full-volume rehearsal on Tuesday, running through an Orange Terror Bass into a Barefaced Midget.

It's the first time I've really given it some welly and

[size=4][b]WOW![/b][/size]

What a bass, what a sound, what a feeling.

Given my age, I grew up with the sound of a P-bass in my ears, even if I had no idea that was what I was hearing.

Well, now I do, and By God is that a lovely sound or what?

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1237396' date='May 19 2011, 08:53 PM'][size=4][b]WOW![/b][/size]

What a bass, what a sound, what a feeling.

Given my age, I grew up with the sound of a P-bass in my ears, even if I had no idea that was what I was hearing.

Well, now I do, and By God is that a lovely sound or what?[/quote]
Exactly the same for me.

I grew up with the Precision sound, and tried out so many different makes and models of bass, but none were ever quite right.

I then got a Precsion, and that was it - suddenly I`d found "my" bass.

Personally, I would say that the complete sense to your thread title would be,

When you get right down to it ... there are only two basses, a Precision and a Jazz.

Currently playing a Precision but I do prefer the articulation and detail of a Jazz. However, if I wanted power, balls and aggresion then it would have to be a Precision.

Cracking looking Precision though Jack.

Not for me afraid. I prefer rays (ATM)

But you never really get a sense of what a bass is about until you are producing some high volume.

A practice with the band always seals/breaks the deal for me. Even at home with considerable volume you don't get a sense of what its adding or missing in terms of sound.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1237591' date='May 19 2011, 11:35 PM']Not for me afraid. I prefer rays (ATM)

But you never really get a sense of what a bass is about until you are producing some high volume.

A practice with the band always seals/breaks the deal for me. Even at home with considerable volume you don't get a sense of what its adding or missing in terms of sound.[/quote]
same for me.. a P bass at low volumes is not as good as a P bass loud through a good rig.. comes into its own then..

So Jack, will you be selling the Allevas and Statii then? :)

More seriously, I recently did a recording session with my '63P (on a Northern Soul-cum-Motown type song) and the man on the desk was raving over the sound. They may not have the articulation of Jazzes or the punch of Stingrays but they do sit so well as a rhythm section instrument

I have an 08 USA P, a USA G&L L2000 and an ATK 300 and I've been trying to decide which to use, when.

At home, through the 75w practice amp, the G&L steals the show with it's richness and depth of tone. But that's when it's on its own, and I wondered whether it would be a bit OTT in a band setting, especially aongside two guitars. I decided to take all 3 to rehearsal and ask the others which they preffered. Through the 160w SWR rehearsal amp running at pretty much full whack, the P bass was universally judged to be the best because it produced the clearest, most defined sound. 2nd choice was the ATK - it can be set up with a full, rich tone without it becoming too phat or intense. 3rd choice, perhaps surprisingly was the G&L. It was considered to be just a bit too loud and full-on in terms of its tone, even when switched to passive and whichever it is of series/parrallel that pulls the bass tone back. I bought the bass because of its chocolaty, full-roasted, old shoe-leather-and-licorice tone and now spend most of my time working out ways to reduce that tone - all a bit daft really. Aongside 2 guitars the G&L can be good at adding to overall volume but can struggle to cut through and be heard clearly. Would I sell the G&L? No - it gives me a lot of pleasure playing it at home, and I'm going to use it for recording.

So, in a band setting, I'm with Happy Jack - good ol' P bass through my Roland, with the ATK 300 on standby in the corner.

Steve

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1237591' date='May 19 2011, 11:35 PM']Not for me afraid. I prefer rays (ATM)

A practice with the band always seals/breaks the deal for me. Even at home with considerable volume you don't get a sense of what its adding or missing in terms of sound.[/quote]

More so that you can't tell until it's being played with a full band. On it's own it bears no relation whatsoever to how it'll sound with a bass drum and a guitar fighting it for sonic space.
My P always gets through without me having to crank it, this is a good thing.