Why become a member? ×

If You Could Have 1 Hour With Any Living Bass Player.....?

merello

Probably Laurence O'Keefe who played bass in Darkstar.

Probably one of my fave all time bands, and in my opinion seriously under-rated... I would ask him for a copy of the unreleased second album! Saw them live loads, loved the new stuff, then they split up :)

Massive influence on me when I was in my first band, and my use of effects and thinking outside the box, and still love them to this day!

I've already spent a fair bit of time chatting with Jimmy Lea in Slade's touring days, a long time ago, though if you do talk with him now one thing guaranteed to switch him into "polite pleasantries" mode is to mention Slade.
My other fave player is Lemmy who I've met three times & is just like you see him on TV or whatever, not exactly keen to talk shop; what you see is what you get.
I'm in awe of other players for what they do or did; Duck for one. I'd have liked to have had time with John Entwistle. He had a keen interest in getting "his sound", from what I've read & seen & I think would have been fascinating to watch trialling a rig or bass or at sound-check.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1223615' date='May 7 2011, 08:09 PM']Sean Yseult[/quote]
To the plus one! Love her bass playing.

Let's see here... for man reasons - Doris from Chthonic...

And for a bass lesson... Ol' Harry

Edited by Eight

Hmmm, could be a number of different people depending on when you ask me. Right now it'd be Matt Garrison. Not to say I dig all his stuff, but he is doing exactly what I am striving to do, and I'd love to pick his brain on how he approaches arranging and playing.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1224959' date='May 9 2011, 12:06 PM']Hmmm, could be a number of different people depending on when you ask me. Right now it'd be Matt Garrison. Not to say I dig all his stuff, but he is doing exactly what I am striving to do, and I'd love to pick his brain on how he approaches arranging and playing.[/quote]

Matt is one I'd like to chat with too, arguably my favourite of the current fusion types.

Of the famous bassists I've met, there are a few who stand out. Lemmy (who was my initial inspiration and who I've met a couple of times) was an extremely nice bloke and we talked about Blackpool and "that bloody Opa-Loka" (which he said he can't stand - Dave Brock plays bass on it).

Tal was very sweet and both Mark King and TM Stevens were absolute gents. Stan Clarke (one of my heroes) I've met twice but he couldn't have got away from me any faster! He didn't seem at all keen to talk to fans either time. Chris Squire (another hero) was hugely hammered both times I met him so I'd like to meet him sober!

Tal aside, for me it would probably have been the Ox or Phil Lynott; I'd have loved to have met either, John more for his bass playing / gear interest and Phil for being the all-round legend he was.

You know what I don't think there's anyone I'd want to spend an hour with.

The problem I find is that I'm crap at talking to people and I'm bound to say something plain dumb or regret something so it's probably best I don't spend any time with any of those bassists I admire and equally I'd hate to start chatting with somebody and find they're total prats.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1225465' date='May 9 2011, 07:38 PM']You know what I don't think there's anyone I'd want to spend an hour with.

The problem I find is that I'm crap at talking to people and I'm bound to say something plain dumb or regret something so it's probably best I don't spend any time with any of those bassists I admire and equally I'd hate to start chatting with somebody and find they're total prats.[/quote]

i think most people when faced with a musician they admire would feel the same...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1223629' date='May 7 2011, 07:14 PM']Seeing her on Wednesday, I'll tell her your interseted.[/quote]

I know Grog too - we grew up in the same town and my sister went to school with her. Tell her Mat Vidler says 'hello' - that should surprise her! :)