Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Show - Still Worth Watching?

spongebob

I still do enjoy watching the show, because sometimes you discover something new or unexpected. But other times, I have it on just in the background, just in case I miss something good!

I anxiously anticipated the jam between Jools and Bootsy Collins, which did, unfortunately end up being an anticlimax... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZCdasK2Wk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZCdasK2Wk[/url]

Apart from Festival coverage and some pitiful attempts on channel 4, Jools is the only live music show on telly. All the others have fallen by the wayside, yet he's managed to make a go of a 1/2 hour live slot on top of the tried and trusted Friday show. As musicians what we should be doing is encouraging TV channels to show more music shows by pumping up Laters viewing figures and making sure our peers do the same. I know the boogie woogie can be tedious and I've never understood the attraction in his drummer's wooden groove, the interviews are stumbling piffle etc but it's live music on the telly for the love of Pete, if we could be on it we would in a flash. Here's my all time favourite performance.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg5wkndGF3E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg5wkndGF3E[/url]

Another great show tonight, some innovative music, loved the guy with the looper, not so keen on PJ Harvey but each to his own, and Ringo Starr?? Really?? Why??

Still the best music show on TV though, long may it continue.

[quote name='skej21' post='1212155' date='Apr 26 2011, 10:36 PM']That guy with the loop pedal was bloody awful too. What the hell has happened to this show?!

Are they expecting us to be impressed by a bloke looping a recording of him making spitting noises, and then layering loops of him FAILING to sing a simple 3rd in tune over the top?[/quote]
Isn't he a relative of the bloke who has sorted out the day off on friday? well for some of us anyway. looks like him anyways

[quote name='witterth' post='1212204' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:38 PM']yes on those two points . Dickkie used to be a good drummer, but bit of a geyt these days.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Now ive told you before! no more of you fans trying to get in touch with Ringo on this internet thingy its Closed! :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1212361' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:57 AM']Okay, last night's show was actually really very good. Except Ringo, as he is a twat.
Can I go back and change my vote now?[/quote]

I also enjoyed it, especially as Avery Sunshine's bass player seemed to be playing a Squier Classic Vibe, awesome!

[quote name='Alfie' post='1212384' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:23 AM']I also enjoyed it, especially as Avery Sunshine's bass player seemed to be playing a Squier Classic Vibe, awesome![/quote]

I was wondering about that bass. I only caught a few secs of it last night as i prefer to watch it in HD at the weekends but it was nice to see a Squier on there.

Im undecided about Later. Where do you draw the line between it been 'crap' and 'just not to your taste'? Some people moan because a lot of acts are unheard of, and others say it's too commercial. Personally I like the mix. Stuff like Cee-Lo, Tiny Tempah and Katy Perry whom I normally dislike on record were actually quite refreshing to see with bands.

I agree with whoever said if there's one act that you really enjoy, anything else is just a bonus. The show could maybe do with a bit of a facelift, and maybe the quality just isn't out there at the moment but a live music show like this will never be all things to all people.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1206390' date='Apr 20 2011, 08:37 PM']Bring back TFI Friday, but have more music, and less guests.

Agree about the sound on Jools. Only one I`ve seen recently was Beady Eye, and Liam Gallaghers vocals were barely audible. Maybe that was his choice, but I doubt it.[/quote]

That's how I like to hear Liam's vocals.. either like that or not at all :-)

The "bloke with the looper" is Ed Sheeran, who is a local lad from just up the road from me. I've seen him play live several times and had a couple of quick chats - he's an extremely pleasant and grounded chap and a grafter - more than 600 gigs in the last 3 years, 5 self-financed EPs (including one with a bunch of Dubstep dudes).

Please don't write him off on the basis of that one song: he's capable of much more than you saw on Tuesday night and hopefully will get an opportunity to demonstrate it on the Friday night programme.

As for Jules's show, there's not many other options for people like Ed Sheeran to get national exposure, particularly now that Peel is no longer doing what he used to do on the radio. Even if you didn't like it, at least you've had the opportunity to engage with it and make your own decision. Without Later, even that would be lost to us.

[quote name='Alfie' post='1212384' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:23 AM']I also enjoyed it, especially as Avery Sunshine's bass player seemed to be playing a Squier Classic Vibe, awesome!

[/quote]

I thought that was a Classic Vibe. Looks like a bridge and tuner upgrade but good to see one on the telly.

PJ Harvey? That`s what happens when you stop taking your medication kids.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Wil' post='1212506' date='Apr 27 2011, 12:17 PM']I missed it, what did PJ Harvey play? Love her latest record.[/quote]

PJ did Let England Shake and The Words That Maketh Murder. Pretty compelling, IMNSHO.

Love the new album… bit of a fan ever since her first EP… used to see gigs in Bristol... her pink Gretsch Broadkaster used to be mine. Looooong story.

[quote name='squire5' post='1213116' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:43 PM']I've just recently begun listening to Ron Sexsmith and his new album is pretty good but last night he sounded just a little bit shaky.Could've been nerves tho'.If you get the chance,listen to "Long Player,Late Bloomer".[/quote]

Live Ron seems to sound a bit shaky as you say...watched the documentary about the latest album recently and he does seem to have issues around self confidence. However he seemed a bit more relaxed on that songwriters thing with Fran Healy and Graham Gouldman that came out around the same time.

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1213096' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:24 PM']PJ did Let England Shake and The Words That Maketh Murder. Pretty compelling, IMNSHO.

Love the new album… bit of a fan ever since her first EP… used to see gigs in Bristol... her pink Gretsch Broadkaster used to be mine. Looooong story.[/quote]

Just checked it out on youtube, good performances of both I thought. Shame she didn't play This Glorious Land too...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1213258' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:27 PM']Live Ron seems to sound a bit shaky as you say...watched the documentary about the latest album recently and he does seem to have issues around self confidence. However he seemed a bit more relaxed on that songwriters thing with Fran Healy and Graham Gouldman that came out around the same time.[/quote]

Just saw him last night again,and again,he sounded a bit ropey.I'm disappointed because his album really is good.Just goes to show what a good producer/engineer can do.
PS I thought Avery Sunshine's bassist was amazing.