Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Show - Still Worth Watching?

spongebob

[quote name='squire5' post='1215738' date='Apr 30 2011, 12:40 PM']PS I thought Avery Sunshine's bassist was amazing.[/quote]

Just watched the last 2 weeks; not a huge fan of the music but I also thought Avery's bassist was great. Lovely tone and feel.

Love the Fleet Foxes.

where have all the more rocking kinda bands gone from this show??(used to have qotsa,foo's at the drive in etc etc)just seams to be jool's up your own arsekinda world music most of the times these days!
bores the crap out of me (i used to love his show many a moon ago)..............lost the varity imo.

Watched last night's edition. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't listen to any of the artists that were featured so perhaps I wasn't expecting anything. Performances were all very good I thought, Ron Sexsmith was a bit shaky but he wasn't awful.

Really nice to see Avery Sunshine's bass player playing a Squier, and he played it very well :)

Watched some of this week really due to PJ harvey, but did enjoy avery sunshine

Shame about Poly Styrene, she wasn't that old, and with my kids favorite Sarah Jane (Elizabeth Sladen) also in the last few weeks, its a bit of a reality check

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1219306' date='May 3 2011, 10:41 PM']'Kin 'ell... just how appallingly, unspeakably, irredeemably flat does Adele sing?[/quote]

If you listen to Rolling In The Deep carefully enough on Spotify, especially the Acapella and Instrumental, you'll realise just how lazy the band are too. I can do a better job of it with a couple of mates and the copy of Audacity I've got on my netbook!

I only saw the end of R Kelly tonight as I've been out at a band call for a show i'm doing next week, and thought he was pretty damned good, so I'll be having a look on Friday night :)

Sky +'d it last night.....really love R.Kelly, so should be great.

Beck once called him the last great Soul man....I fully agree, a totally superb artist.

First act I've actually wanted to see on Jools' show for an eternity!

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1219306' date='May 3 2011, 10:41 PM']'Kin 'ell... just how appallingly, unspeakably, irredeemably flat does Adele sing?[/quote]

[quote name='goblin' post='1219364' date='May 3 2011, 11:41 PM']If you listen to Rolling In The Deep carefully enough on Spotify, especially the Acapella and Instrumental, you'll realise just how lazy the band are too. I can do a better job of it with a couple of mates and the copy of Audacity I've got on my netbook![/quote]
:) :) :lol: :D :P :lol:

Comments like this really do sum up BC members sometimes.

I'm looking forward to your rendition of Rolling In The Deep with much anticipation :lol:

You'll never hear that 'cos I don't describe myself as a singer... :)

As for my "flat" comment... I love some singers with very odd voices... Tom Waits, hell, even Dylan... some can sound amazing out of tune, some don't. If this doesn't trouble your ears, fair play!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLIb7KopyY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLIb7KopyY[/url]

[quote name='BottomE' post='1220029' date='May 4 2011, 04:43 PM']:)[/quote]

Allow me to help, once upon a time, televisions, or TVs as they are known colloquially used to use things called Valves, also known as Tubes (honestly, we should know these things, we are bass players) in order to work. Some people here are old enough to remember such things (not me, I am just historically minded enough to know pointless sh*t like this).
Marvin was making a pun or play on words about this very real situation.
It was mildly amusing
:)

</jokegeekmode>

Hmm. Be careful what you wish for. The reason we got miming and autotune is because people didn't like the unreliability of live performing.

Yes, a lot of notes were delivered flat. That song was, I would say, more written for studio performance and is difficult to do live, given with the dynamic variation and Adele's emotionally laden style of singing. I am sure she has better nights than this one.

I, for one, would rather have truly live performance and I'll take the rough with the smooth.

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1219995' date='May 4 2011, 03:55 PM']You'll never hear that 'cos I don't describe myself as a singer... :)

As for my "flat" comment... I love some singers with very odd voices... Tom Waits, hell, even Dylan... some can sound amazing out of tune, some don't. If this doesn't trouble your ears, fair play!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLIb7KopyY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLIb7KopyY[/url][/quote]

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1220717' date='May 5 2011, 10:17 AM']Allow me to help, once upon a time, televisions, or TVs as they are known colloquially used to use things called Valves, also known as Tubes (honestly, we should know these things, we are bass players) in order to work. Some people here are old enough to remember such things (not me, I am just historically minded enough to know pointless sh*t like this).
Marvin was making a pun or play on words about this very real situation.
It was mildly amusing
:)

</jokegeekmode>[/quote]
Terribly kind of you to say it was mildly amusing, I doubt others would be so kind :)