Why become a member? ×

basschat history

lojo

Whilst just replying to another thread, I just began to wonder, who started basschat ? who now decides what happens? Do the donations cover the costs ? is it a multi million pound empire or in debt ?

Sorry if this info is somewhere, but its a great forum, Id love to know how it started etc

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1189285' date='Apr 5 2011, 04:59 PM']This is a great place isn't it! Much better than another bass forum I could mention :)

I've heard tales told that this forum was forged in the heart of dying star a millenium ago before being blasted out into space and making it's way here... s'true![/quote]

When exactly did Basschat start? I can remember 'the old site' but it seems like years and years ago. I joined it near enough to when it started as I am a 900th area member.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Basschat was started from the dying embers of a defunct Bassworld website. The forum software there was out-of-date (lots of corruptions and outages) and the then owner refused to upgrade it (through absence/apathy). In early 2007, Crazykiwi and ped decided to jump ship and start up a 2nd site with better software and support, pretty much all users followed us over. Initially the user database was migrated over until the original owner complained, no big deal to start again though. I was a moderator on the old site but don't remember it that well ! It was a funny colour though and I think it had a Warwick at the top.

There's a lot of people on here from back then but I remember when there was less than 1000 members on here... how times change !

Decisions on site rules/strategies are made by a panel of moderators and admins, suggestions are debated and voted upon.

Donations are to cover hosting/bandwidth overheads only, this is also aided by the Google ads. However, we as admins/mods don't get paid and ped (as the current owner) also does not dib into the kitty except when he needs some new high heels.

Yes, I remember the Warwick Streamer with the curly bubinga top that was the bass on the main page of Bassworld. Didn't that belong to the old owner? And yes, the software on that site was crap. Much like the site hardware on www.statii.com. That site is an excellent resource and a testament to the passion and dedication of the people who created it but the software is naff.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1189378' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:52 PM']*ding ding*

[url="http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20060426190514/http://www.bassworld.co.uk/pn/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=1"]Next stop, Memory Lane....[/url][/quote]

LOL, funny seeing that again, and I was online :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1189378' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:52 PM']*ding ding*

[url="http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20060426190514/http://www.bassworld.co.uk/pn/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=1"]Next stop, Memory Lane....[/url][/quote]

Bizarrely, that link takes you to just about the moment when I first discovered Bassworld, and as it all went pear-shaped. I've often wondered it the two events were connected. :)

I first found bassworld around 2002, but didn't stick around... it got one post a week or something like that. The newsgroup rec.music.makers.bass alt.bass, and uk.music.guitar were better at the time.

bassworld was offline a lot, I seem to remember, then there was a fall-out with the absentee landlord, and basstalk.co.uk was formed... which upset talkbass

Aw Man. It was cool to see that again! I remember eagerly checking over and over the days basstalk, and then basschat were due to come on. I posted much more regularly on bassworld, guess I had more time, or poss cause the computer was in the living room.

I first found bassworld in 2002. Member #35. From then on it was financially downhill as basses and amps came and went. I think I've almost found stability, well at least until next week. :)

Blast from the past!

Great to see how far the topics for threads have moved on: Precision or Jazz; Avoid Sound Control; latest Bass Guitar Mag; Heads up on a Shuker; favourite music shop; custom charges; identify this bass. I'm glad we're not that predictable any more...

Bizarrely, I actually remember the Kit Kat chunky peanut thread!

[quote name='Horizontalste' post='1189675' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:53 PM']I seem to remember the Bassworld servers being confiscated for some reason! Tell me that's true and not something else my over active imagination has conjured up?[/quote]

I was there on Bassworld, basstalk and basschat. At one time the servers were offline after the FBI confiscated the server farm that was also hosting things it shouldnt have been :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1189577' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:07 PM']... and your signature was:

'88 MM Stingray 4 2EQ
'99 MM Stingray 4 3EQ fretless
'03 MM S.U.B. 4 2EQ[/quote]

That was the fault of the Chili's covers band mate! The SUB was a killer though

C

Oh that takes me back, I've been a member on an off near enough since the start. Completely forgot about it til I needed a little help with getting back into playing and this turned up in google, turned out I had an account and then it hit me!
Really good forum, helped me out no end.