Why become a member? ×

How many of us go out single handed ??

bassbluestew

For me, it's less to do with what my gear is doing and what I'm doing with it. By that I mean I don't take a backup in case something breaks down or I break a string (which hasn't happened in 5 years), I take a spare because it's external issues I worry about.
What if someone barges into your gear just after you setup, breaks a string, worse....breaks the neck, no gig for you :).
A fight breaks out, beer gets thrown, soaks your pickups, crackle crackle boom lol, etcetc
I know they're all things that very very rarely happen, and if you're playing nice chilled acoustic cafes or big stages where no-one comes close to your gear, its fine....but I'd rather be setup to carry on the gig than look a bit of a lemon because I took one bass to a gig and left one at home :)

Si

I've always taken 2 basses to gigs especially when I've had an active bass but never needed to swap for technical fault reasons
I used to think that I was being silly until having only one bass at a rehearsal a couple of weeks ago the nut on my SX p bass just snapped off for no apparent reason on the 1st string. I managed to carry on with the bottom 3 strings but was really relieved that it wasn't at a gig.

I used to take a back up bass because my old band was a guitar punk pop type group, similar to Ash, Green Day, Feeder so playing driving bass with a pick would eventually end in broken strings as it did from time to time. My basses at the time were a 77 Fender Precision and an ESP Jazz.

These days, I play with my fingers in an acoustic type motown soul group and so only take one bass, a 2008 US Fender Precision. I am possibly doing a small tour, supporting at The Roundhouse next year for three nights so I might just get a Squire Classic Vibe 50's precision as a backup in case of any eventualities but generally, one bass for me these days.

Seems to be a lot of inconsistency in this thread. I'm not suggesting that a spare PA system is practical, but it would be consistent with the arguments about being professional and being able to ensure the show goes on.

I suspect that a lot of people take a spare bass to a gig simply because they happen to have more than one rather than it being a carefully thought out strategy. After all, who cares how professional the bassist has been in duplicating all their gear if the PA fails and the band can't play the gig. :)

Haven't bothered in years. I keep a set of pre cut Warwick Red Labels in the gigbag along with a spare set of whatever is usually on the bass. If I break a string during a song I just move everything up an octave and kick in the octave pedal to keep the low end. With the precut strings and a power winder I'm ready to go in under a minute. If the other two jam around the end of the song and the intro of the next then the actual time when theres no sound on stage could be around 30 seconds.

To prevent defects I just run over everything before I pack up for the gig and again when I get there.

My whole thinking is if I am going out to a gig, I expect to be paid so I prepare reasonable measures to ensure this.

Just as it might mean no p*****d drummers or pissed anyone, ftm, it also means I can finish the gig, be it a spare bass, a DI through the P.A, tool kit etc.
If I pack the car, I expect the money and would be pissed off if this wasn't so.......

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1323534870' post='1464338']
Seems to be a lot of inconsistency in this thread. I'm not suggesting that a spare PA system is practical, but it would be consistent with the arguments about being professional and being able to ensure the show goes on.

I suspect that a lot of people take a spare bass to a gig simply because they happen to have more than one rather than it being a carefully thought out strategy. After all, who cares how professional the bassist has been in duplicating all their gear if the PA fails and the band can't play the gig. :)
[/quote]

Believe me, we take a LOT of spares....a show will always carry on :)

Si

This whole 'I don't take a spare PA... why should I take a spare bass?' argument is weak.

If the PA breaks and it's unfixable, you're all in the same boat. Cancelling a gig because the PA has failed is heck of a lot more credible than cancelling it because the bass player hasn't got a bass that works.

If your bass breaks (and it can happen.. believe me), and you can't carry on because you don't have a spare (even though you have one at home) it's all your fault. You've knacked it for everyone else.

Basses never break? OK... how many passengers boarding Titanic thought that it was ever going to sink? None of 'em.

(of course people who only have one bass are exempt from the above)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1323521802' post='1464156']
For me, it's less to do with what my gear is doing and what I'm doing with it. By that I mean I don't take a backup in case something breaks down or I break a string (which hasn't happened in 5 years), I take a spare because it's external issues I worry about.
What if someone barges into your gear just after you setup, breaks a string, worse....breaks the neck, no gig for you :).
A fight breaks out, beer gets thrown, soaks your pickups, crackle crackle boom lol, etcetc
I know they're all things that very very rarely happen, and if you're playing nice chilled acoustic cafes or big stages where no-one comes close to your gear, its fine....but I'd rather be setup to carry on the gig than look a bit of a lemon because I took one bass to a gig and left one at home :)

Si
[/quote]

Just in the process of getting a backup Squier, for this very reason. Don`t want to take both US Precisions to a gig, in case the very worst happens, so a backup Squier Precision for me.

I don't know if I am reading this incorrectly but there seems to be an implication from some quarters that not using a back up bass entitles you to some sort of badge of merit - better to carry on through the rest of the gig using 3 strings, transposing on the fly, or restringing with your teeth. :) And that back up basses are for lesser mortals, somehow. I don't get it.

I've said this before but I'll say it again here.

I'm totally paranoid about things going wrong at gigs. The chances that they will are low but it helps [i]my [/i]nerves to take a spare passive bass, spare cables and a passive DI Box to enable a rough and ready bass sound into the PA if something dies/breaks during a gig.

As an originals player (mostly) I don't have responsibility for the PA. I would expect the sound engineer/venue to have suitable replacements for as much of the PA gear as possible.

I think its much more important that the show continues whether or not my bass sound being replicated by replacement gear.

I totally sympathise with Wot's point...
In these times, it is pressure to sell at £10 or so a ticket... so why you risk a good name for such a lame excuse...???
I agree, P.A going down can be a major thing and you'd get sympathy from all concerned, IME...but then that would be the Hire co problem, mostly.
If the bass was farting about then that is not forgivable, IMO
But I guess it comes down to what approach you take or can afford to take, at gigs.

If I wasn't to get asked back because of a bass issue, that would be a HUGE minus...especially one that could be so easily avoidable.

So...2 for me.

Just my 2p...

I take 2 basses into the rehersal studio never mind a gig! Although I have never broken a string or had a bass fail on me at a gig, for me, the thought of not having a back up is too scary too think about. I always have a sans amp with me and lots of spares for most eventualities.

Mabye it`s the old boy scout in me.

Dib Dib and wiggle wiggle!!

Jez

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1323605707' post='1464849']
This whole 'I don't take a spare PA... why should I take a spare bass?' argument is weak.

If the PA breaks and it's unfixable, you're all in the same boat. Cancelling a gig because the PA has failed is heck of a lot more credible than cancelling it because the bass player hasn't got a bass that works.
[/quote]

I'm not sure the paying audience would see it that way. Sounds like you're happy to hide behind a big failure where everyone shares the "blame" but not a small one for which you would get all the blame. I'm not criticising that position and can fully understand it. I just don't think it's consistent when the end result is a cancelled gig whatever the the cause.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1323640419' post='1465392']
I'm not sure the paying audience would see it that way. Sounds like you're happy to hide behind a big failure where everyone shares the "blame" but not a small one for which you would get all the blame. I'm not criticising that position and can fully understand it. I just don't think it's consistent when the end result is a cancelled gig whatever the the cause.
[/quote]

I'm kind-of referring to the promoter and fellow band members.

There's literally nothing anyone could do about an insurmountable PA failure, as it's generally not practical to carry a spare.

But... cancelling a gig because the bass player couldn't be bothered to pick up their spare bass? They'd deserve a kick up the arse from the rest of the band, promoter and audience for that stroke of laziness.

I tend to take 2 for a tonal variaton (5 string Jazz and a 4 string P/J is the usual) so i always have a backup technically, as although my main bass is a 5, i can easily do a 2 hour set with my main band on a 4. I have had experiences where i have needed 2 in the past, string breakages, batteries dying, jack sockets breaking etc....

Liam

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1323641038' post='1465403']
There's literally nothing anyone could do about an insurmountable PA failure, as it's generally not practical to carry a spare.
[/quote]

To have to be an insurmountable failure, it could only be one of those three box (powered mixer, two cabs) systems. Perfectly practical and affordable for a band to carry a spare.

For a "proper" PA system, it's still perfectly possible to have a spare power amp, drivers for the cabs, a few mics, leads, power supplies etc.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1323643385' post='1465444']
To have to be an insurmountable failure, it could only be one of those three box (powered mixer, two cabs) systems. Perfectly practical and affordable for a band to carry a spare.[/quote]

...but then you're getting into the realms of buying a larger car to fit everything in.

Again, to go back to the point I'm trying to make: Bringing a spare bass to a gig is such a simple sacrifice to make for such huge potential benefit.

I really don't know how else to say it. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1323643762' post='1465451']
...but then you're getting into the realms of buying a larger car to fit everything in.

Again, to go back to the point I'm trying to make: Bringing a spare bass to a gig is such a simple sacrifice to make for such huge potential benefit.

I really don't know how else to say it. :)
[/quote]

But then I'm into the realms of buying a spare bass :)

I do get what you're saying, and if I was still in bands that charge for performance, I'd have a spare to hand. When recording I always hire or borrow another bass in - I don't want to be wasting dozens of pounds of the band's money while I fault find and replace parts

As it is I'm in an originals band, usually playing with two or three other bands on the bill, for little-to-no money and more-often-than-not involving a 50-100 mile round trip. So car pooling is the order of the day. If I wanted to bring a spare bass, the guitarist would want his spare amp rig, the singer would want to bring his wireless mic rack, the drummer would want his own stool etc etc. Suddenly we're looking at the cost of gigging doubling because everyone's having to take their own car. Plus, if there was a catastrophic failure of something there's at least two people to ask for a favour.

Everyone's band's circumstances are different.

I still maintain though that a quality instrument, well maintained (I do my own set-ups, but I still like to get my bass checked by a luthier every now and then because he sees issues I don't) and played with good technique is very unlikely to break. I'm just as likely to be unable to play at short notice due to illness or injury as I am to having my bass break. Should I have a dep ready on stand-by just in case? :o

edit for spelling mistake :)

Edited by clauster

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1323645170' post='1465470']
But then I'm into the realms of buying a spare bass :)[/quote]

On most of my previous posts, I've stressed that what I say only applies to people who [i]have[/i] more than one bass.

My comments are aimed at those who have more than one, but can't be arsed to carry a spare with them to a gig.
As it is I'm in an originals band, usually playing with two or three other bands on the bill, for little-to-no money and more-often-than-not involving a 50-100 mile round trip. So car pooling is the order of the day. If I wanted to bring a spare bass, the guitarist would want his spare amp rig, the singer would want to bring his wireless mic rack, the drummer would want his own stool etc etc.

Everyone's band's circumstances are different.[/quote]

Obviously, given that you're not going to struggle to borrow another if your bass dies, none of this is really an issue for you. it goes without saying, I think.

I still maintain though that a quality instrument, well maintained (I do my own set-ups, but I still like to get my bass checked by a luthier every now and then because he sees issues I don't) and played with good technique is very unlikely to break.[/quote]

Try telling that to my pickup that died mid-song, or the circuit that popped in the active bass I used to own...!

It's like taking out insurance. You probably won't need it, but if you do have to call on it, you'll be thankful.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1323645170' post='1465470']I'm just as likely to be unable to play at short notice due to illness or injury as I am to having my bass break. Should I have a dep ready on stand-by just in case?[/quote]

You're missing the point. At the risk of repeating myself:

[quote]Again, to go back to the point I'm trying to make: Bringing a spare bass to a gig is such a simple sacrifice to make for such huge potential benefit.[/quote]

Not missing any of your points about multiple basses and am not disagreeing with any of them now that I get where your coming from. :)

I'd just been reading the whole thread and I'd been picking up from several posters that not taking a backup bass is wrong. I was just trying to explain that it can be the right thing to do if you're in my present circumstances.

Sorry if it felt aimed at you - I know I started with a quote from you and only the quote from your post - I'm crap at doing quotes from multiple sources :)

I do feel for you over the pickup/active circuit failures - I've never used an active in anger and I've never had a pickup fail. But at a showcase gig for a local rock station our guitarist leant me his Phil Lynott tribute bass as he felt it was more "RAWK" than the Warwick I had at the time. I changed the strings but I didn't know the bass had lived in his loft for years and the foam behind the pickups had perished and crumbled to dust long ago. Once we started playing at gig volume, cue wailing feedback every time I wasn't playing a note. I've never jumped on the tuner to mute so many time in one night :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1323463499' post='1463768']
And if the PA breaks down?
[/quote]

You play acoustic or go home... You can't carry a spare PA.. this is insane!!

On big functions I've sometime taken a spare mini mixer if the big mixer fails so you could put vocs through and maybe keys, but we use active speakers.. The only way you would have no sound is if both active monitors broke, the mixer (twice) and every ones amps... and to be honest if that happened, I would go home..

If you're playing at someones wedding (proper fee) the client needs to know you have made reasonable measures to deal with gear failure, but you can't bring a complete second rig.. unless yo have money to burn.. on an orginals front.. I'd check my gear before the gig etc carry extras leads and strings / sansamp and that's it... not even an extra bass, unless it's for a different sound.. If you have a bass that you have problems with..GET ANOTHER BASS, then you won't have to.. If you break strings on your bass, you need to look at your play unless your string are 100 years old