Why become a member? ×

I'm having a crisis!

Marvin

I'll hold my hands up (which probably makes a better sound then when they're on a fretboard :lol:), I actually enjoyed learning and playing a Duran Duran song tonight - Ordinary World. (Not completely there, always takes me a while to get it completely).

I've never liked Duran Duran, just not my thing, but I'll give what's his name - John Taylor? - his dues, he does create a nice bass line. This one may not be his best, and I'm probably way off the original (close enough though) but I've actually had to force myself not to have another go at it. :)

I especially like the little fills.

That is all. On your way now :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1140518' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:51 PM']I can't see what the problem is.[/quote]
Suffice to say if DD come on the radio I always hurriedly change station, I dislike their music that much.

And damn it I've clicked on your for sale link again :)

I hated DD with a passion when they were big in the 80s, as all that New Romantic stuff took the place of punk.

However now, I actually quite like most of it, and in fact really like DDs original material. Do wonder however, what JTs bass would be like without the multi-tracking. Great bass lines though, even if there are about a zillion on each song.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1140537' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:58 PM']....Suffice to say if DD come on the radio I always hurriedly change station, I dislike their music that much....[/quote]
Sounds like your horizons are widening. That's a good thing, keep it up!

Its rumoured that John Taylor cant really play bass at all, he was just put in there for his looks and mimes when they play live......Having watched clips of the band over the years im inclined to agree....I think Lozz196 is right about them multi tracking his bass, as he is supposed to be playing quite complex bass lines but jumping around on stage like a two year old as he does it.....I dont think so....

OK i own up: My name is mike and I... like playing Rio.
Really struggled with hungry like a wolf a while back until i read all the stuff about how john Taylor's bass parts were mostly fudged in the studio and he couldn't play it live either.
Just got he hang of it and my band dropped it.

[quote name='cliffyspliff' post='1141019' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:45 AM']....Its rumoured that John Taylor cant really play bass at all, he was just put in there for his looks and mimes when they play live....[/quote]
I guess it's unwise to believe rumours! There's a Youtube vid of JT playing/recording with Bernard Edwards.

Chris,
Just watched that clip of him playing with Bernard Edwards on you tube....while Bernard is playing what looks like a fairly complex funky riff, John is just chugging on his low E string with a pick.... :) .....im still not convinced he can play bass that well at all....so who came up with those bass lines in the first place??...I wonder.....

Duran may not be fasionable but john taylor did some great basslines and when duran were in there prime they were amazing live . i enjoy playing whatever interests me ,it can be duran one day and black sabbeth the next . Never forget in the words of robert palmer it takes every kind of people to make the world go round ,yeaaaa :)

I especially like "Save a prayer".. Such a stunning bass-line that drives the song.
Friend of mine has worked with several superstars (she helps with costumes and catering) like McCartney, U2 and Springsteen and found them really polite and nice people. She was a huge DD fan during the eighties and had posters hanging on het wall.
Through her work she got to meet them and said that her illusions were scattered : all of them were complete *ssholes and in awe of themselves.
Still I have the same sentiment : I didn't use to like their music at the time but my opinions have changed..