Why become a member? ×

I'm having a crisis!

Marvin

Strange how Duran Duran are to some, an 'uncool' band

....bit too girly....bit too pretty?

ugly = good musician
pretty boys = must be fakers

I think they did some great tunes, good fun to play with some quite technical basslines too.

....I don't think the late Mr Edwards would have bequithed his StingRay to a poor bassist?

this seems live and some good playing too

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='1142196' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:29 AM']Strange how Duran Duran are to some, an 'uncool' band

....bit too girly....bit too pretty?

ugly = good musician
pretty boys = must be fakers

I think they did some great tunes, good fun to play with some quite technical basslines too.

....I don't think the late Mr Edwards would have bequithed his StingRay to a poor bassist?

this seems live and some good playing too

[/quote]
One mans meat is anothers poison ....Don't care what they look like or anything like that. Musically, for me they were and are utter sh*te. SLB always sounds like he is on the verge of touching cloth with his horrific strained vocals. Its like the band played in a certain key just to see if he would.

I reckon the rumours of Taylor not actually being able to play are a bit of nonsense. He seems comfortable and plays to the record on the 'Rio' live video - above. As for simplification of songs/ basslines, I'm sure we all do it to an extent, especially if they're a little crazy in the original.

I think John Taylor is genius bass player, he used to have his own web site that had loads of vids of him just mucking about at home & he was (is) incredible.
The bass lines he writes don't make life easy for himself.
DD not my fave band in the world - just a un-recognised good bass player.

Not really that big a fan of DD (my GF is mad on them, grew up in the same town etc). Although by far what's best about them is the bass parts. I mostly leave the other bits outside for the binmen.

The reason the bass parts are different on the studio versions is that they're mostly overdubbed. JT writes like that sometimes... in bits and pieces that he stitches together. After which he has to "learn" play the line.

After a year and a bit of playing in the Spaced Invaders (80s trib band) I have to say the DD bass lines are the bit that make it worth turning up to the gigs (only in it for the money me, hate the 80s). I like to stick my boot on the monitor in Planet Earth and pretend it's Maiden...
Oh and the switching between little slappy bits and proper thumpy fingers in Hungry like the wolf is a bitch, especially when you're doing harmony vocals at the same time. Don't believe me? Come to Winkleigh on the 12th of March and watch me cock it up. :)