Why become a member? ×

Worst bassline in a set.

Marvin

[quote name='tauzero' post='1128057' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:19 AM']Dakota.

There are some root-note songs that I find enjoyable - She Sells Sanctuary is almost all root but it's full of energy. Rocky Mountain Way is one of those locking in to the drummer songs. But Dakota is just tedious.[/quote]
Tedious to the point that at a practice just before christmas I played A all the way through the chorus. My mind had drifted so much I forget to play the E.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1127154' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:21 PM']For me its ZZ Top, practicing Gimme all your loving at the moment its so boring I feel degraded ![/quote]

It works, though, doesn't it? I think that's my complaint - the line I came up with is boring, but works so well. Humbug!

[quote name='BottomE' post='1127508' date='Feb 14 2011, 07:45 PM']Can't believe it but when i think about it "Real Mutha for Ya" a Johnny Guitar Watson track is pretty boring bass wise but the track is great.[/quote]
Agreed- That's a marvellous song - I love his "gimme 3 gallons of low lead.....2 hot dogs & a strawberry soda" bit at the end (if you have the long version)

I used to do Standing in the Road by Blackfoot Sue - that's a mind numbing bass line to play.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1127804' date='Feb 14 2011, 11:22 PM']The Red One - Pat Methany & John Scofield[/quote]

Try the Metheny version with Christian McBride on Daytrip. Might help you make sense of it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kc8BrGLEJA&feature=fvst"]The Red One[/url]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1128086' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:41 AM']Paint it black by the stones - a stupid song with a stupid bassline[/quote]

We play Paint it Black and Jumping Jack Flash, and I can't think of a single good reason to follow Wyman's bassline in either case. So I don't.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1128587' date='Feb 15 2011, 05:00 PM']We play Paint it Black and Jumping Jack Flash, and I can't think of a single good reason to follow Wyman's bassline in either case. So I don't.[/quote]

Yep.
We do JJF as well - or rather the rest of the guys do.
I've been playing something totally different for the last 4 years and they haven't noticed... :)

Anything by Oasis by was Bass biz , Or as Tony Moreneo called them "Owazzis"

"Get Back"... though, if you dont often play with a pick( which I dont personally) check out Macca on the apple roof top gig. that "two note 'pleccy strum thing" staying in A mainly ....good fun, and if you do it right, ignoring a thousand badly played versions previously...well, now, you know what was wrong!! HA!

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1127154' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:21 PM']For me its ZZ Top, practicing Gimme all your loving at the moment its so boring I feel degraded ![/quote]

Have you nailed the staccato feel of the eighth notes, with real consistency? It's something to concentrate on. An old band used to do a 12-15 minute guitar solo on the end of this. I stayed on the C for the whole thing, no fills, no accents, no variation. In some ways it was quite a challenge - and I bloody loved it. He was an excellent guitarist though, so it was a pleasure to just listen.

[quote name='chrisba' post='1128412' date='Feb 15 2011, 02:56 PM']U2 - With or Without You. 4 notes repeated over and over with no variation. I sometimes try and change the fingering half way through to relieve the boredom, but always end up fluffing it. Fortunately seems to have quietly disappeared from the set.[/quote]

+1 I hate that bass line so much!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1127152' date='Feb 14 2011, 04:20 PM']for me its a toss up between Walking on sunshine and Funky Music. Its 3 1/2 mins of pure hell for me as i know how the rhythm goes to both but cant play it due to my drummer playing every rhythm but the correct one. Way too much shuffle and ghost strokes.[/quote]

How weird is that???? our drummer plays with your band too? and I had no idea?

Playing mainly reggae covers it has to be...... Red red wine UB40, Bring me your cup UB40 (and lots more UB40 stuff) oh and i momentarily nodded off once whilst playing Aswads 'Good thing going' at a gig......bores me to sleep that track. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1127103' date='Feb 14 2011, 02:41 PM']Proud Mary :) Dum De Dum De Dum De Dum De Dum De Dum ZZzzz ! :)[/quote]

My band does a hybrid of the CCR version and Tina Turner's version - loads more energy and easier to develop a driving bass riff to suit. Goes down a treat when we do it.