Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Worst bassline in a set.

Marvin

As in the title, what is the worst bass line you play in a set or have played in a set? The song itself you might quite like, it could be a favourite but the bass line sucks.

Currently still only at the stage of practising, my top contender would be U2's Pride (In the name of love). Bog awful. To me it doesn't even seem to fit the song - perhaps that's just me. Has had me considering 'sawing' my fingers of with a pick whilst playing it.

EDIT: not mad keen on the song either but there are other songs in the proposed set I don't like but the bass parts are ok.

Edited by Marvin

I have a Nirvana-esque track which involves a whole string of triplets in E to add some punch to the rythmn - which it certainly does, at the expense of my interest.

However, it's my bass line, so I should change it, eh? I'd just need to argue the toss with the band, who think it's great :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1127097' date='Feb 14 2011, 02:37 PM']As in the title, what is the worst bass line you play in a set or have played in a set? The song itself you might quite like, it could be a favourite but the bass line sucks.[/quote]

for me its a toss up between Walking on sunshine and Funky Music. Its 3 1/2 mins of pure hell for me as i know how the rhythm goes to both but cant play it due to my drummer playing every rhythm but the correct one. Way too much shuffle and ghost strokes.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1127103' date='Feb 14 2011, 02:41 PM']Proud Mary :) Dum De Dum De Dum De Dum De Dum De Dum ZZzzz ! :)[/quote]

God I hate that song - had quite a major argument with the guitarist how to play it as well ( he was wrong obviously :lol: )

For me its ZZ Top, practicing Gimme all your loving at the moment its so boring I feel degraded !

[quote name='chris_b' post='1127142' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:14 PM']There are no bad bass lines in any of my sets!!![/quote]

ha ha ..yep, agree.
I make them up to fit the song taking the cover as a reference only...and if they are originals, then I put them down anyway.

I can't really think of anything, the worst I play are songs where the bass just plays root notes of the guitar - and given that it's punk, it still works and has enough speed to keep me properly interested. Even if I do get bored playing the same note for a while, I'll just liven it up a notch by hammering onto the note from the next fret down every bar or so.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1127149' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:17 PM']Ain't Nobody - hate it. Doesn't groove, doesn't do anything. Punters love it. Go figure.[/quote]
That surprises me somewhat...
It's a synth part so I agree it's difficult to capture the feel but if you're on that groove with a really locked down drummer it can rock... I find it interesting to try to get the notes in the right place. Especially because it's quite jerky.

That's a trick question, right? :) Seriously - I'd flip that around and say there's plenty of bad songs I play, but I like all the bass lines. Chances are I'm not playing the original bassline tho - and that's how I stop myself from disliking them. 'The Gambler' by Kenny Rogers? I like that a heck of a lot by the time I'm finished with it.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1127217' date='Feb 14 2011, 04:05 PM']That surprises me somewhat...
It's a synth part so I agree it's difficult to capture the feel but if you're on that groove with a really locked down drummer it can rock... I find it interesting to try to get the notes in the right place. Especially because it's quite jerky.[/quote]

It never gels for me (even on the original). When I play it with the function band I play in, I do a sixteenth note variation that kind of works but I still feel its a bit like polishing a turd.

It used to be Quo's Rocking All Over The World.

That was until I changed the straight quavers into crochets and quavers and played the emphasis a little off the beat, which made the whole thing groove a bit. The rest of the band said they all enjoyed it too :)

A :lol: turned upside down into a :)

Synth stuff is very hard to get close to..of course, but I recall Jimmy Haslip making a decent fist of it on a live show but it would take one or two very good keys to make sense of the top end of the track, IMV. If it doesn't, it is too much for the bass to do otherwise. Funny how the bass player might get the blame for the groove not working tho...

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1127154' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:21 PM']For me its ZZ Top, practicing Gimme all your loving at the moment its so boring I feel degraded ![/quote]

If your band's really tight and the guitarist has the right sound and feel then Gimme All Your Lovin really comes alive and it sounds so good you don't realise that your only playing one note.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1127154' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:21 PM']For me its ZZ Top, practicing Gimme all your loving at the moment its so boring I feel degraded ![/quote]

+1. Annoyingly, we play it tight, sounds great, and the audience seem to love it, so it stays in the set. But there are only so many bars of C that you can play without losing the will to live!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='gareth' post='1127305' date='Feb 14 2011, 05:06 PM']Get back[/quote]

Yes I agree with that, Lord Macca was a never a root note plodder, still, I suppose it fits the song.
Check out the B side Dont Let Me Down for some Macca bass vertuosity!

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='tauzero' post='1128057' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:19 AM']Dakota.

There are some root-note songs that I find enjoyable - She Sells Sanctuary is almost all root but it's full of energy. Rocky Mountain Way is one of those locking in to the drummer songs. But Dakota is just tedious.[/quote]

+1
I use a big lump of artistic licence on that one! :)