Why become a member? ×

Good Blues Songs?

Mlucas

Hi chaps and chapettes, my band is currently just building up a few blues covers for emergency use etc, but are struggling! We are a 3-piece band, so no prog keyboard solos! So far we have done:

Pride & Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sweet Home Chicago - Blues Brothers
Help! - The Beatles
The Forecast Calls For Pain - Robert Cray

Can anyone think of any chilled out blues we can cover?

Edited by Mlucas

Sorry, wouldn't consider *any* of the above as Blues.

Look at:

Jimmy Reed, Frank Frost, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, BB King, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson to name but a few.

That's Blues.

(Cream may have covered some of the above, but twisted them for their own purpose, Cream was set up as a free-form improvisation band)

G.

I can't get my head around the concept of describing [i]Help! [/i]as a blues song. That is just plain weird. :)

Go with Geoff & Homer (above) if you're after classic, pure blues. Fleetwood Mac especially are a treasure trove of late 60's /early 70's British blues, or you could go back a bit further and try some Chickenshack.

If you want a rather rockier version of the blues, check out stuff like The Doors and The Allman Brothers Band, maybe some early Johnny Winter or even The Groundhogs.

But if you want blues played with real style, for me it has to be Freddie King.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1120728' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:14 PM']I can't get my head around the concept of describing [i]Help! [/i]as a blues song. That is just plain weird. :)

Go with Geoff & Homer (above) if you're after classic, pure blues. Fleetwood Mac especially are a treasure trove of late 60's /early 70's British blues, or you could go back a bit further and try some Chickenshack.

If you want a rather rockier version of the blues, check out stuff like The Doors and The Allman Brothers Band, maybe some early Johnny Winter or even The Groundhogs.

But if you want blues played with real style, for me it has to be Freddie King.[/quote]

+1

All these bands are influences on my playing and my love for the blues. Check out Albert King and Albert Collins.

One track that I played for years in my last band (and really enjoyed!) was Robert Cray's 'The Welfare'. Interesting bass line and certainly works as a three piece...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2JDRfrnzP4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2JDRfrnzP4[/url]

I was in a blues-rock trio many years ago, was an absolute hoot and I really miss it. Gary Moore's back catalogue is worth raiding, I always particularly liked playing 'Walking By Myself'. Also how about ZZ Top's 'I Need You Tonight'? Very chilled out, and a great excuse to drop D :) Yeah yeah, it's not Proper Blues, but who cares as long as it's fun? :)

I'm enjoying playing this one at moment (bass in one band and keys in the other - don't you love it when a plan comes together!)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByTWDV5edOc"]Give me one reason[/url]

[quote name='gary mac' post='1121286' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:54 PM']What is becoming clear through this thread, is that one mans idea of the blues can be very different to the next.[/quote]