Why become a member? ×

Drummers

Thurbs

We had a new drummer join the band last night after being a knuckle dragger down for a few months.... what a revelation!

He can..
+ Start and finish at the same bpm keeping a consistent rhythm throughout
+ Finish fills on time
+ Keeps a rock steady rhythm whilst meandering solos are in progress
+ Play slow and fast
+ Play quietly and loudly

I was so much more relaxed playing and found myself playing around with the rhythm, throwing in runs and twiddles here and there without it putting him off. After our first rehearsal, I am the tightest I have ever been with any drummer.

I'd say we have struck gold with this guy... and good drummers, whilst they may still be Neanderthals, are worth their weight in gold. This guy is for keeps!

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1115461' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:31 PM']We had a new drummer join the band last night after being a knuckle dragger down for a few months.... what a revelation!
[edit]
I'd say we have struck gold with this guy... and good drummers, whilst they may still be Neanderthals, are worth their weight in gold. This guy is for keeps![/quote]

I'm sorry,it's great that you're locking with the new drummer, but I really have a problem with referring to them as
'Knuckle draggers' and 'Neanderthals',even if it is in jest. Like I've said many times before,many of the best [i]musicians[/i]
that I know are drummers.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115468' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:39 PM']I'm sorry,it's great that you're locking with the new drummer, but I really have a problem with referring to them as
'Knuckle draggers' and 'Neanderthals',even if it is in jest. Like I've said many times before,many of the best [i]musicians[/i]
that I know are drummers.[/quote]

Eh, I'd let it go. It's just part of the superiority complex that is so prevalent in bass players.

S.P.

My bands drummer is SOLID. She can play in time, complex patterns and can ply piano like nobodys business too. She doesn't hit uber hard or over play just keeps it together and you know its funny she plays [i]intelligent fills[/i] which fits the music, not to demonstrate technique which she has. Oh yeah and she's a girl

I did some gigs with a woman called Corina Sylvester who had done some work with NYJO - she was probably 6 stone soaking wet. A fully rounded musician I would call for a gig again anyday (were I not 100 miles away :)). The chromosone make up of a drummer should be of no concern. Drumming is not about strength and a person's physical strength has actually no bearing whatsoever on their ability to play this oldest of instruments.

But, back to the op, yes, a gig with great drummer is the best feeling.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115468' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:39 PM']I'm sorry,it's great that you're locking with the new drummer, but I really have a problem with referring to them as

Most the drummers I know make the jokes about themselves, its not anyone else doing it, perhaps not only are they often great musicians but also have little ego in most cases

[quote name='lojo' post='1115639' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:34 PM']Most the drummers I know make the jokes about themselves, its not anyone else doing it, perhaps not only are they often great musicians but also have little ego in most cases[/quote]
No one is adverse to a drummer joke (or any musician),but I just don't like the 'neanderthal' references. I don't like the term 'guitard' either.
As far as ego-I don't know any player that doesn't have at least a little ego.

Apologies for the mis-placed over used cliché’s there, didn’t mean any offence...

I actually think the drummer is the most important part of the band, followed closely by the singer, then guitars, then keys & last is me.

I cannot state how much I love our drummer. He doesn't have 100% perfect time - he'll sometimes speed up during songs - but not to a really noticable degree. He can do great fills, has loads of power and energy in his playing, and can always come up with perfect drumming to suit our originals - and he's a damn sound bloke to boot.

Only played with two other drummers, glad neither of them were bad.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115468' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:39 PM']I'm sorry,it's great that you're locking with the new drummer, but I really have a problem with referring to them as

Musicians?
Well, I'd like to think so too, but... they don't have to practice everything in 12 keys, do they? :)

Seriously though, I think that modern drumming, in some way, is going away from [i]music [/i]these days in an odd sense..

I've been to Robert Glasper's Trio gig in November, and I've spotted quite an interesting thing.

To make it short, bassist, Derrick Hodges is a regular member of the band, while drummer was a dep (for famous Chris 'Daddy' Dave).
There were lots of shorts breaks during the gig, where Robert got together with bassist to chat about how the tunes should go, or what should they play next (I kinda felt that they didn't actually decide, what they'll play on the gig, and there were quite a few 'hiccups' at the begining of few tunes with Robert not agreeing with bassist on how the tune should [i]go[/i]/what should one play..)

The interesting bit was that the drummer (who was a dep, mind you) was sorta 'outcast' from pianist/bassist conversations on tunes - as the result, they left him letting to come up with random drum grooves throughout the gig, as if it didn't really matter..

To sum it up, I got the feeling that night, that, in some way, [i]music [/i]doesn't need to care about drums anymore, and vice versa..

i have had a few incredible drummers to play with and also some that have lost me some hair and got anger management problems with.

the guy who drums in the band i play for now is brilliant, no messing around, simple set up (kick, snare, floor tom, cymbals) and just rocks the hell out of his kit, in great timing and just does the job.

I have played with guys who lug massive kits around, spend hours setting it up perfectly, going on about the newest stick tricks and techniques and then cant play for toffee! loosing rhythm, forgetting songs, and manage to get the whole band stressed!

Its all good fun!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115696' date='Feb 4 2011, 06:14 PM']No one is adverse to a drummer joke (or any musician),but I just don't like the 'neanderthal' references. I don't like the term 'guitard' either.
As far as ego-I don't know any player that doesn't have at least a little ego.[/quote]

I admit to using the term "guitard" in the past (if you'd met the two in my last band you'd understand why) but you're right, it's not very nice.

From now on I shall refer to them as "Ham-fisted meat heads"

To the OP, yes, a good drummer is a very important part of any band and does make all the difference!

Oh God,.. Its only supposed to be a laugh!!
I hope you dont fall off that horse Mr D it seems like its long way down for you :)
:)

Edited by witterth

I've been lucky too, over the years [i]all[/i] the drummers I've played with have been really nice guys, they've all been good and one or two have been astonishing. There's nothing quite like the feeling of locking in with a good drummer... Getting a groove going, feeling it drive along, sharing a quick glance and knowing exactly where that fill is going and nailing it perfectly... Nothing makes a band sound really tight quite like a good close Engine Room.
Damn, I love my job :)

Our drummer is a bit eratic, forgetting how songs end, speeding up and slowing down but he`s a great guy. A while ago we had a dep for a few gigs. Whoa, what a drummer! Great timekeeping, inventive without being too flashy. But, as I have got to know him, I have found out that he`s a bit of a tool and has such an attitude that the band he is in, is imploading round about him.

Sometimes you are better sticking with the "tub thumper" (hope that doesn`t upset anyone) you know.

Jez

[quote name='Doddy' post='1115468' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:39 PM'].............. Like I've said many times before,many of the best [i]musicians[/i]

Indeed..... best musucian ( by far, IMV ), I have ever played with is a drummer.

At sound checks he would stop everyone in their tracks.