Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

Mine came, I've had about five minutes with it and it seems excellent. It responded well to a quick slackening of the rod and now has a good low action, I stuck on a left over competition stripe, hoping to have a closer look in a bit once the nipper drops off. But initial impression is very very impressed. As long as the neck holds out!

Edited by gafbass02

Well, I'd been scouring the internet for the past couple of months looking for a cheapish Precision body to go with a defretted Jazz neck that I've had for a while. So when I saw this thread it was a pretty straight forward decision to place an order, sonic blue too - my first choice colour!! Ordered last Weds, the bass arrived on Friday - top service for a great price.

Had a bit of a play with it over the weekend and was suitably impressed, I won't harp on as it's pretty clear by now that these are seriously good basses for the money.

So, on with the mods! First up the neck swap.

[attachment=70584:P1000074.jpg]
[attachment=70585:P1000075.jpg]
[attachment=70586:P1000076.jpg]
[attachment=70587:P1000077.jpg]

Old neck came off with no problems, neck pocket measured - 64mm wide, 100mm long, 20mm deep. New neck slotted straight in. Not a very tight fit but close enough for me - easily less than 1mm gap on each side. The neck screws weren't an exact match either but again, close enough.

A new set of strings and hey presto! Well, not quite - finished up with a very high action so further tweaking required, maybe even a shim or two. Buts thats for another time. Tortoiseshell pickguard also in the post, should arrive this week :)

Well just about slackened the rod off completely on mine and the neck is flat but the action still a but high for me (3-4mm at the 12th). Not taken the saddles down yet (still don't have a damn key that fits) but that should give me another couple of mm, failing that I'll stick a shim in which should sort it. All good fun though, forgotten what it was like to play like this as my other basses are so easy to set up (or never need it)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1110390' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:18 PM']Anyone got any close up pictures of the strings over the pups and the nut?

Looking at mine it seems the nut is flush at the top but not at the bottom (g string)...can't tell if the G is off angle.

Anyone?[/quote]
I cant see the new SR in your sig Gareth :) are you well? Not seen you on for a while.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1110488' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:24 AM']Saves you being on here with us geeks I suppose! How are the interviews going?

Sorry for the OT , back to budget p's[/quote]

Fine thanks Pete :) 2 in one go, then my old boss offered me a position as well so hopefully I'll have a choice until my legal career commences in Aug 2012 :)

Just as a rider to this thread, pun intended. I tried moving the neck back and forth last night, holding the headstock end. It moves quite alarmingly (compared to Sandberg). I'm not sure if it did that prior to the trussrod excursion or not. There is little stability laterally although it holds it's tune okay.

34" longbow anyone?

I'm looking for a F compatible neck now, not a Ryder one thanks :)

(I'm sat here whilst Arnie, our little Bengal man, is sneezing his head off snotting everywhere - poor fella has a cold and like most men, is making a right fuss)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1110513' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:07 AM']Fine thanks Pete :) 2 in one go, then my old boss offered me a position as well so hopefully I'll have a choice until my legal career commences in Aug 2012 :)[/quote]
Nice one , More EB funding in the pipeline then! :lol:

I'm watching closely to see how many of these SR basses have neck issues....£80 Squier P looks like I did ok at the moment.

Mine arrived yesterday - with a maple board - result! It's issue-free, and after a quick setup and strung with some decent strings it plays really well. The body is worth more than the money alone - a very deep translucent Dark Blue, with nice grain showing through. The ferrules are a little small for the ends of the EB Slinkys I've put on it, but I'll address that later. For once I've no immediate compulsion to change the bridge, either. I think a nice gold scratchplate a la 57 Reissue will suit nicely, and perhaps even a second P-pickup. That's the beauty of these, they're a great platform to let your imagination run wild, with very little hesitation... :)

this looks the same bass as the Nevada bass I was given but with a different name.

...the neck on the Nevada moves alarmingly too, an inch or so if you push on the head with a finger, although the tuning stays OK, but we couldn't get the action lower than something a limbo dancer could get under even with saddles on the deck and bottomed out, even tried packing the neck with sandpaper like a 70's Fender :) good to see these are better...

I'd love to pull the trigger too but I think I'll see how this thread goes for a week or so....maybe there is a cheap bass god afterall?

Edited by iconic