Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

These look great!

She clearly has a partner who is a GAS fiend and knew that these would fly off the shelf! I'm VERY VERY tempted by the red one... and as she probably knew, I'd bet I'm not the only one who is finding it extremely difficult to talk myself out of buying one lol.

[quote name='tom1946' post='1106965' date='Jan 29 2011, 07:59 AM']Aye 3 days ago.
My pots are fine, very gradual as I said in my report, if you change the pickguard you'll need extra holes and some trimming.
The neck joint is quite tight on both of mine too.[/quote]

[quote name='drewm' post='1107081' date='Jan 29 2011, 11:39 AM']Ok, I'm in too. Just ordered the white one... now off to evilbay to look for a tortoise shell pickguard.[/quote]

Anybody know which model P scratchplate might/will fit without buying one, won't fit, buy another one and so on?, neck pocket & pick up dimension are fairly critical, not too bothered about extra screw holes, NJ

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='1107736' date='Jan 29 2011, 11:24 PM']Anybody know which model P scratchplate might/will fit without buying one, won't fit, buy another one and so on?, neck pocket & pick up dimension are fairly critical, not too bothered about extra screw holes, NJ[/quote]

I've never had to play with pup cutouts on an OEM scratchplate, but I nearly always end up having to take a bit of sandpaper to the neck cutout regardless of where the OEM scratchplate has come from... :)

These basses are outrageous, should not be allowed, damage the credibility of qualiity basses etc - but really as I get older I see less and less difference between so called premium mainstream instruments ( I exclude Alembics, custom luthier stuff, Wals etc here) and the SR bass. Alder Body; Fender - check, Body through stringing: Fender - sometimes, Maple neck + skunk stripe: Fender: check (most of the time); High mass bridge; Fender - Sometimes, can be bought as optional cost extra. Wood is wood. The only concern could be long term neck stability, but it is a tried and tested design (Fender Jazz necks?) So apart from a setup (if needed), possible pots (£5), pickup change to taste and strings what is the difference?

SR basses right on - I want 4 or 5 when swmbo lets me. WHY - damage, theft, scope for modding - who cares at £60 and its all to a good cause.

Where is the SR Jazz, Tele/early P. Owners of Alembic/Warwick/Rickenbacker/Your bass start worrying :)

Depending on how it feels/plays I think I am prepared to buy another and attack it with a router and make a jazz outta her. Should be easy enough, I think, only thing I think would be difficult would be a new pg. I think everyone is going to receive their bass on monday and this thread is going to burst into life with modding ideas.

Can I post the first gripe with these..... :)

Changed the strings on my White one for some Rotosound Black Nylons.
Looks and sounds fantastic, but the Ball Ends are too small to fit into the things
on the back of the body, so they all are sticking out :)

What a shame, but I still think it's a great Bass.

btw, I took all the plastic protective covering of the pick guard and discovered it was a
3 ply jobby.... White/Black/White - really nice touch for a bass of this value, so I doubt
if I will change it as you will also lose the 'R' cut out on the guard

[quote name='Dusty' post='1107927' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:55 AM']Can I post the first gripe with these..... :)

Looks and sounds fantastic, but the Ball Ends are too small to fit into the things
on the back of the body, so they all are sticking out :)

What a shame, but I still think it's a great Bass.[/quote]

I strung mine with black nylons, just went the usual back of bridge route, though not too bothered about string through body - sustain's not a priority for me. :lol:

[quote name='nick' post='1108010' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:10 PM']I strung mine with black nylons, just went the usual back of bridge route, though not too bothered about string through body - sustain's not a priority for me. :)[/quote]

Mine stick out but it's not an issue for me.

Re:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120816&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120816&hl=[/url]

Can someone with a Fender try a neck swap for me?

Thanks

Peter

[quote name='Dusty' post='1107927' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:55 AM']Can I post the first gripe with these..... :)

on the back of the body, so they all are sticking out :)[/quote]
If you're willing to do a little modding, you can probably sort that out. Just look for "bass string ferrules" on That Ebay and see if you can get some slightly larger ones that will take your string ends. Um, that's assuming that my assumption that you meant that the bits on the end of the strings were too big to fit into the ferrules is correct.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='tom1946' post='1103770' date='Jan 26 2011, 02:58 PM']In several words, yes with bells on.

They rang me and told me it had arrived about 2 hours ago so I've been and picked it up.

FIT & FINISH:

It's very well made for a bass costing £200, the frets are quite well dressed and no sharp bits. The paintwork is flawless and the neck has a gorgeous grain on the back. I removed the scratchplate to have a look at the pots and the wood in the cavities, yes I would say it's Alder and the weight is about right at around 9-9.5 lbs. The 'R' cutout on the S.plate is a bit twee.

HARDWARE:

The splitcoil pickup is very powerful and although the tone & volume pots are generic they have a great natural easily controllable action to them, normally on the cheap stuff the tone is either on or off but this is very gradual across the spectrum. The volume is the same too. The bridge is a super high mass type AND strung through!!!! he tuners look good in my opinion and they do work well with no issues.
Strings are the usual cheap sh*t that are fitted for transit really.

SETUP:

I have spent about an hour setting it up to my liking, the intonation was easy and straightforward, truss rod works fine and needed very little adjustment. I have lowered the action quite a bit and it's great to play.

CONCLUSION:

This bass is far better than you have a right to expect. I would go as far as to say it's as good as any Squier that I've had. It has great potential for modding too.
For 60 quid it's a total no-brainer. Go and buy 2!!

Did I mention the gigbag? Really good it is. Also get a strap & lead !

They have a white one in stock..........[/quote]

If they had a Jazz...

damn you all! :)

I have just ordered a white one.

I don't *need* one[1] and I don't even like P-basses.
But the thought of one with flatwounds and a mute at the bridge sounded appealing somehow.

I sent an email straight away with teh order ref stating my preference for maple fingerboard. We'll see...

[1] who says we have to *need* a bass to get one???

Basschat is bad for my economy... :)