Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

In several words, yes with bells on.

They rang me and told me it had arrived about 2 hours ago so I've been and picked it up.

FIT & FINISH:

It's very well made for a bass costing £200, the frets are quite well dressed and no sharp bits. The paintwork is flawless and the neck has a gorgeous grain on the back. I removed the scratchplate to have a look at the pots and the wood in the cavities, yes I would say it's Alder and the weight is about right at around 9-9.5 lbs. The 'R' cutout on the S.plate is a bit twee.

HARDWARE:

The splitcoil pickup is very powerful and although the tone & volume pots are generic they have a great natural easily controllable action to them, normally on the cheap stuff the tone is either on or off but this is very gradual across the spectrum. The volume is the same too. The bridge is a super high mass type AND strung through!!!! he tuners look good in my opinion and they do work well with no issues.
Strings are the usual cheap sh*t that are fitted for transit really.

SETUP:

I have spent about an hour setting it up to my liking, the intonation was easy and straightforward, truss rod works fine and needed very little adjustment. I have lowered the action quite a bit and it's great to play.

CONCLUSION:

This bass is far better than you have a right to expect. I would go as far as to say it's as good as any Squier that I've had. It has great potential for modding too.
For 60 quid it's a total no-brainer. Go and buy 2!!

Did I mention the gigbag? Really good it is. Also get a strap & lead !

They have a white one in stock..........

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1103796' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:10 PM']Just watch though, every BC-er is going to now buy one, and suddenly Sue Ryder will start thinking "hold on, I can get more money for these if they're this popular!" Won't be surprised if these eventually go up in price![/quote]

They were originally £120, Sue Ryder are having a big sale atm on lots of their new stuff (check their site out, lots of guitars) and these are half price.

The shop near me had them at £90 for ages, they had a white one but that sold and there's just the blue one left now. No gigbag included on it there though.

Good god.
Just been looking at the shop, the spec says [i]"Fingerboard: polished rosewood or maple with dot markers"[/i] but there doesn't seem to be any way of choosing. If you could definitely get a maple board, I reckon I'd have one in a shot.

[quote name='malbass' post='1103853' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:29 PM']I have a defretted Squier Jazz neck that I've been looking around for a Precision body for - what would you rate the chances of my neck fitting this body without too much work required?[/quote]

I guess I'll have to find out the hard way - I just ordered one. At that price and with free P&P it would be rude not to!!

[quote name='markstuk' post='1103941' date='Jan 26 2011, 04:14 PM']Order away here :-)

[url="http://www.suerydercareshop.com/category/172/Electric_Guitars"]http://www.suerydercareshop.com/category/1...lectric_Guitars[/url][/quote]

Did she knit them herself?

Thanks for that, just the job for my son.

Garry

[quote name='tom1946' post='1103972' date='Jan 26 2011, 04:32 PM']What have I started? :)[/quote]

What have [i]I[/i] started you mean? :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119976"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119976[/url]

Glad it turned out to be a reasonable instrument.

Edited by neepheid