Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='mcnach' post='1130962' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:18 PM']Just noticed you have a Wizard Thumper on your Precision. I heard very good stuff about that one.
I'm looking for a pickup that will be rich in mids and enhance the growl of my bass... do you think I'll be on teh right track with the Thumper?

Got any clips?[/quote]

I would say it will get you the tone your after. Ive certainly noticed more growl from my bass sinc ei put this pup in, and more punch and a more solid mid range.

I've not tried the Vintage pup, nor any other pup other than the Squier one, but after asking around on here and speaking to Andy the Thumper seemed to be the one to go for, and my goal was probably close to yours.

I dont have any solo clips, and have posted some live footage in the show us you playing video thread but i dont think that will help much.

Sorry.

[quote name='casapete' post='1131473' date='Feb 17 2011, 07:57 PM']Just to let anyone in the York / E.Yorkshire area know - the Pocklington branch of Sue Ryder has 3 blue models currently in stock.
(tel.01759 304852). Last ones to arrive maybe?
Cheers.[/quote]

three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough

ah, I feel much better now. I'm not buying another one. I'm cured! :)

[size=1]edit: I already have three.[/size]

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1131561' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:06 PM']three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough three-is-enough

ah, I feel much better now. I'm not buying another one. I'm cured! :)

[size=1]edit: I already have three.[/size][/quote]

but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better but four-is-better....

How you feelin' now? :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1131868' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:29 AM']I have stayed out of this...but a bass for £60 that isn't in a skip...???? really..??[/quote]

I must admit i cant see why people are buying so many. I bet no one here will gig them that much.
I can understand buying them as a project bass but even so, to what end? spend money and/or time on them and then what?

Still, no offence to anyone here, i just dont get it.

Well it's a decent enough bass for £60, there's loads of uses for it. It's always handy to have a cheap bass knocking about.

Yeah, everybody buying one is a bit of a fad and there are better basses for similar money floating about on eBay, but i guess we all have disposable income and it is going to a charity.

Not the best basses in the world, or even at that price range, but fun and i can think of worse ways to spend £60. I just have to resist the cream strat they have in my local branch, it looks lovely!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1131880' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:47 AM']Well it's a decent enough bass for £60, there's loads of uses for it. It's always handy to have a cheap bass knocking about.

Yeah, everybody buying one is a bit of a fad and there are better basses for similar money floating about on eBay, but i guess we all have disposable income and it is going to a charity.

Not the best basses in the world, or even at that price range, but fun and i can think of worse ways to spend £60. I just have to resist the cream strat they have in my local branch, it looks lovely![/quote]

Aplogies if it is in a good cause. You can tell I skipped 23 odd pages.

I only bought it because I wanted a useable Precision-type bass as a backup.

Some of the gigs we are going to be playing will get quite hectic/energetic on stage. No way am I taking a £1200 Musicman man to gigs like that....I cant afford to replace them. Ive had crowd members pick me up and walk me around the room/crowd before, which was all in good fun, but not great when you are trying to minimise damage.

I wouldnt gig it in a covers/professional band, because I may as well drag the decent basses for that.

I wouldnt mod it. If someone had a spare USA Fender P pickup and was selling it really cheap, thats the only thing I would change.

I nearly bought a Squier CV, which are great basses, dont get me wrong, but I didnt want anything over about £150. £60 delivered for a useable and quite pretty sonic blue P bass that works 100% is a bargain.

Otherwise, I wouldnt have bothered. No offence to the other chaps who are modding the hell out of them, but I wouldnt bother spending anymore on it apart from (as mentioned) a second hand pup and new strings. They are what they are....basically a fairly decent starter bass. To have quite good QC on a bass this cheap is very good, IMO. Better than some MIM Fenders! Although probably not as hardwearing etc.

I cannot see these being worth anymore than they are down the line. If mine works out to be hardwearing and lasts a few tours, ill be happy and sell it cheap.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1131880' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:47 AM']i guess we all have disposable income and it is going to a charity.[/quote]

Well thats the main thing i guess.

One thing that strikes me is that with all you lot buying them, i feel maybe some kids just starting out who cant afford much might have made better use of them, but now they have all been sold to gather dust in peoples bedrooms.

Just a thought.

@Gareth. I can understand buying just one, even i would have done that as my son wants a bass, its those buying up all they can lay their hands on, or so desperate to get one because everyone else has one i cant figure out.
I wonder how they compare to a bottom of the line Squier?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1131872' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:35 AM']I must admit i cant see why people are buying so many. I bet no one here will gig them that much.
I can understand buying them as a project bass but even so, to what end? spend money and/or time on them and then what?[/quote]

For me it's just a bit of a fun project (I've switched the scratch plate, added straplocks, and next plan to shim the neck) for stuff I wouldn't mess around with on my good basses. Because I'm incompetent.

Also, my daughter (nearly 14) has shown a bit of an interest at times, and having a cheap bass in the house means there's something she can mess around on if she fancies. If it gets knocked and bashed a bit, no worries.

Plus, charity shop.

I don't actually like P basses that much - it feels like an enormous unwieldy plank of wood compared to my Streamer. But I guess that's just personal taste.

Good reasons drewm.

Like i said, i just couldn't understand why some people had to have so many, your reasons make more sense.
I too need something for my 6 year old son to mess about on, although at the moment he is happy with my Spirit bass as its smaller than my others.

Edited by dave_bass5

I bought mine purely for the body and bridge. I've had an old D shape neck hanging around for a while needing a new home. I didn't like the Ryder neck, too chunky.
I've changed the pups, put straplocks on it but decided to keep the scratchplate , I'll change the pots as and when.
I've ended up with a great playing and sounding bass that's as good as any Precision I've had for very little money.
This one's a keeper.
Wished I'd bought two as I have a fretless neck doing nothing.

As someone who modded a $109 SX (all the way up to about £200) and ended up selling his USA Ps on the strength of it, the Ryder P makes great sense. My Ryder has a three piece solid body with a really nice translucent finish, through stringing and decent bridge, and the pickup sounds like a P. I really, really cannot understand people's problem with this for £60. As is, it's pretty good, but with a better neck, they'll give a lot of much more expensive kit a run for its money.

I've gigged the SX many times, and even taken it into the studio. I'll do the same with the Ryder when its finished. Yep, bought one, spent some time on modding it, and then...gigged it, played it, gigged it some more. By the same token, you've bought a Fender/Lakland/Smith/Fodera for £ks...then what? Don't understand that question - it's a bass, not a cure for cancer.

As for us terrible folk taking basses from deserving kids...what a strange extrapolation. Why are people looking so hard for downsides?

They may not be the best bass in the world, but I'd like to see a definition of 'best' before I could comment fully on that...for example, I'm selling my Overwater, but keeping my SX. Which is 'best'?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1131904' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:12 AM']I think compared to the bottom of the line Squiers, its probably the same. Eg, a playable bass, but nothing amazing.....[/quote]
I tried one.
Having read this thread my expectations were on the high side (despite my suspicious of the emperor's new clothes). To me it sounded like a £60 bass and I lasted about 20 seconds on it before putting it down. It looked pretty but didn't even particularly sound like a P bass to me, just a bit ratty and uninspiring. If you are looking for value for money, there is far better sounding old Jap crap out there.

I can only surmise from the exorbitant claims on here that it just goes to show what the general populous actually requires from a bass.

I can't knock it though, as there's going to be a glut of nice used P bass upgrades on the market soon enough, which will be great news for us modders and builders.

I couldnt find a thing on ebay or here for £60 delivered that was brand new. People thought I was crazy at one point for not wanting to spend over £120-£150....so I just waited. I didnt want something that had already been well beaten.

When I was starting on bass, my Encore cost probably double this!

For a bass to leave out and noodle on, and to not worry about in an energetic band, this is perfect :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1131872' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:35 AM']I must admit i cant see why people are buying so many. I bet no one here will gig them that much.
I can understand buying them as a project bass but even so, to what end? spend money and/or time on them and then what?

Still, no offence to anyone here, i just dont get it.[/quote]

It's a bit of several things.

First one is... obsessive compulsion: at that price, if there's enough available "toy money", it represents a small expense. Some spend more in one evening out drinking. We all choose our outlets.

Second: I personally find it fun to play around changing things and experimenting. Some from a functional point of view (string types, or pickup, etc), some purely aesthetic. I would love to do that with three top-quality P-basses. But I'm not that well-off :)

Third: It's actually not just a cheap bass. It is alright. It works. It feels nice. Will I gig mine? Probably not a lot, since the sound I'm after when I gig is usually a Stingray sound, and I have that base covered (4 & 5 string as well as OLPs, including a fretless one). But I don't keep a bass that I am not happy to gig with. I would compare these to Squiers in terms of quality. But cheaper. Oh, and I never liked Squier P-basses, but I *do* like the SR ones.

So it's a combination of things, for me. For very little money I get three substrates for experuimentation and fun and result in very usable basses. I will probably end up recording with one too. Although I use a Stingray 90% of the time live, with the band Seabass Kid we're recording a CD and I've used mostly the Stingray, but one song already used the G&L L2500 because it seemed to fit better in teh recording. There's another song where I think the SR I have with nylon flats would be perfect, so it's on the list of things to do next. If I don't gig them much it will not be because they're poor, but because I don't need that sound.

Oh, and another reason: they look pretty in the house. I don't like flower vases, I prefer basses :)

But that's just me, my opinion, taste and circumstances.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1131880' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:47 AM']Well it's a decent enough bass for £60, there's loads of uses for it. It's always handy to have a cheap bass knocking about.

Not the best basses in the world, or even at that price range, but fun and i can think of worse ways to spend £60. I just have to resist the cream strat they have in my local branch, it looks lovely![/quote]

That was another point... which wasn't teh main one, I admit: teh charity thing.
I didn't buy them because of teh charity involvement, let's be honest! But it helped calm my "come on, really? you want what?" thoughts knowing that the money was ending up in the charity. Besides, I think a lot of us have added a little extra on top when buying online (I have). Which is nice, I suppose.
Although that wasn't the reason that pushed me to buy them, to be honest.

Yeah i wouldn't put it in the same category as an SX or Squier, they necks aren't a long term prospect for a start.
Mine isn't as well built as the other cheapies i own/used to own, namely Aria, Vintage and Westfield all bought for £50 or under and built to last. It does have a decent fret job though, better than on the Westfield, which is good for the price. I've played much more expensive basses with fretboards not half as tidy as the Ryder one.

It's a decent enough instrument which sounds good, but a Squier CV/VM for £60 it aint. I think some of the hype is a bit OTT and some people will have bought these blind thinking they're getting an amazing instrument which will floor a USA P Bass. It pays to be realistic, i'm very happy with mine but also aware of it's shortcomings, more importantly i have a use for it so it will fill a niche and earn it's keep.