Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134016' date='Feb 20 2011, 07:54 AM']Others just want a project.[/quote]

I wouldn't really count a neck shim as a mod or a project (and it's something you find on plenty of Fenders), it's just a potential part of a set-up in my book and it doesn't cost anything at all.

If I WAS buying one of these as a project bass though, the main thing that would matter to me would be the acoustic tone. I know some people don't believe the wood has a significant effect, but I've yet to hear a basswood instrument that growls like ash or alder can (not necessarily always does though). At least these are made of nominally the 'right' woods, there are probably some that resonate reasonably. Also, maybe I've been lucky but I've played a fair few cheap basses and I've never had problems with tuners. The only bass thats had any issue was a Jap Fender and that was solved by just taking the offending tuner apart and putting it back together again. I actually like the cheaper Fender tuners as they're considerably lighter than the brass(?) ones so you get less neck dive!

One thing that puzzles me about people's attitude to basses is their understanding of quality control; some people seem to equate it with quality. If I buy resistors with a 10% tolerance and more expensive versions at 5%, then while on average the latter will be closer to the nominal resistor value, any pair of individual resistors from either batch with an identical measured resistance will perform identically. Bass-wise I did try several Fender VMJs at one point and the QC on those was very variable. I couldn't find any that I was happy with off the shelf but have seen several other people's who were obviously luckier and those good examples have simply monstrous tone and play fantastically. Much better than the more consistent, presumably more stringent QC Classic Vibes which have a much higher rep despite sounding pretty flat/dull to my ears.

I'd take a punt on a Ryder if I had the time/space for a project P - it's just such a cheap platform, it's got a couple of desirable features (wood, string-through) and I've got enough Fender parts, pots etc lying around off my jazzers that if there was anything drastically wrong I could replace without it costing extra. The only bit that I'd change for money would be the pickup, but then I'd do this on most Mex or Jap basses and my base cost would be £300 or so higher. Plus the Ryder ones do look very cool in a funny kind of way!

I don't have an Auntie Sue & have no particular interest in one as I don't really have much use for Precisions. I also haven't had the opportunity to try one.

I'm perfectly happy though to accept that these are well-made, solid basses, constructed from decent materials & with a similarly decent off-the-peg specification. They might need a setup, but as I implied in my previous post - any new mass-produced bass, regardless of price bracket is likely to need some work to make it play at its best.

As I always try & point out when these spurious, fatuous & bigoted you-get-what-you-pay-for rants come up, the biggest issue with the low-end is quality control - dodgy workmanship & inferior materials are undeniably more common, but the feedback from the numerous SR buyers suggests that these are largely pretty consistent. I don't know what factory these are sourced from but I'd be perfectly prepared to accept they come off the same production line as other, more "respectably" badged budget basses.

A lot of people are buying them as the basis for a project but that's the case with a lot of stuff on BC - an awful lot of us are modders & tinkerers to start with and a decent bass this cheap is perfect project material. Plenty of other people are happy with the basses as they come - a setup & some decent strings results in a useable, playable and giggable bass that you don't need to worry about when you take it out - and for sixty quid that is a [i]phenomenal[/i] bargain. :)

Jon.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1133270' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:24 PM']For me... Things like the neck joint and the feel of the neck would be a cause for concern. even the finish on the neck would
be an indicator. The paint job as well.
That is without getting to the metalwork which will likely stain or flake after some use...that is if the pegs can hold them in tune. The metal itself will be poor. Not a problem for the bridge plate, but the saddles and grub screws..??? And the pickup..???[/quote]

It's such a shame that people are having so many issues with Sue Ryder basses!

My first imaginary Sue Ryder P (Sonic Blue!) was simply stunning!

For a cost-cutting sixty imaginary pounds, it matched every other high-end bass that I've never played in all ares such as quality, tone and cost!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1134223' date='Feb 20 2011, 12:27 PM']It's such a shame that people are having so many issues with Sue Ryder basses!

My first imaginary Sue Ryder P (Sonic Blue!) was simply stunning!

For a cost-cutting sixty imaginary pounds, it matched every other high-end bass that I've never played in all ares such as quality, tone and cost![/quote]

I haven't got an issue with these basses. The issues I mentioned would be the basics I'd look for on any bass.

[quote name='icastle' post='1134283' date='Feb 20 2011, 01:25 PM']You keep picking at it and it's gonna scar... :)[/quote]

Sure..but just trying to keep up with a few replies.

To save bumping this further with another reply, I thought Lawrence's post had its merits ..

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134253' date='Feb 20 2011, 12:53 PM']The issues I mentioned would be the basics I'd look for on any bass.[/quote]
Of course - but as far as Auntie Sue's concerned, you've never seen one, never mind played one, these "issues" are therefore all in your head. According to the numerous owners, many of them simply don't exist - but you don't seem to be able - or perhaps willing - to accept that.

J.

Quite happy with mine. Gigged it a few times now, so its more than paid for itself. I'm not a particularly lighthanded player, but the bass has held up with no issues & not crapped out on me.
I'm not kidding myself its in the same league as my CIJ Fender or my favourite old Tokai, but it's certainly no worse than a lot of other P-Bass types I've played at double or more the price. For me, it's filled a need I had for a bass to do rock gigs, jam nights etc particularly in less than salubrious venues. I've also now got a bass in a shade of blue that matches one my suits I have been hankering to wear for some time. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134253' date='Feb 20 2011, 12:53 PM']The issues I mentioned would be the basics I'd look for on any bass.[/quote]

That's fair enough, but I think you are a braver man than I to comment on a bass you have not played on a bass player's forum!

Bravo!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1134361' date='Feb 20 2011, 02:47 PM']....I think that people on here are simply trying to point out that, unless you've tried the bass, you aren't entitled to a comprehensive/realistic opinion based on what your assumptions of the bass are and I would have to agree.

Unless you've actually had one in your hand and played it, how could you ever know what it's like?[/quote]

Been following this thread for a while... I think everyone of JTUK's points raised concerning this bass, which are not really based on any factual information, have been answered by persons who have had actual experience of the instrument, along with working knowledge on everything from manufacturing processes, quality control, overseas sourcing, musical instrument retail etc... Therefore his argument cannot really be considered to be valid anymore can it?

*Edited - not to cause offence :)

Edited by nick

Help me out here, are you suggesting that I am trolling, or that JTUK is trolling?
If you meant me, I did not intend that (although I am currently enjoying basschat as a distraction from a long and tiresome dress rehearsal, so you were kind of right about the "stuck in the office" comment lol)

My post has been editted to avoid any confusion on my part. As for JTUK, whilst people have offered their first hand experience of the issues he has raised, it would appear that he does take these opinions into account (from what I can take from his posts), which I think is a shame as that is the purpose of this forum.

Who would have thought that such a lot of drama could have been caused by a £60 bass, ey?! :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1134401' date='Feb 20 2011, 03:35 PM']Are you suggesting that I am trolling, or that JTUK is trolling?[/quote]

Not you, but I've retracted (edited) that comment, as not to cause offence.

[quote name='skej21' post='1134361' date='Feb 20 2011, 02:47 PM']That's fair enough, but I think you are a braver man than I to comment on a bass you have not played on a bass player's forum!

Bravo![/quote]

There have been one or two other detremental comments not picked up upon by other posters so I am not exactly the lone voice here.
It is true that this is a fan's thread and it has gained momentum and no one likes their new toy trashed.. but this bass is priced at a starter market with due compromises built in.
I don't need to repeat my posts, but I can bet you that with one in my hands, I'll say the same thing.
You can say it is not tactful and not endearing and even not the place here, but the thread is here
and I'll post it for sure, when I find one ..preferably not from a skip.

C'mon..you have to laugh at that..

it was a joke, honest :)

[quote name='nick' post='1134357' date='Feb 20 2011, 02:39 PM']Quite happy with mine. Gigged it a few times now, so its more than paid for itself. I'm not a particularly lighthanded player, but the bass has held up with no issues & not crapped out on me.
I'm not kidding myself its in the same league as my CIJ Fender or my favourite old Tokai, but it's certainly no worse than a lot of other P-Bass types I've played at double or more the price. For me, it's filled a need I had for a bass to do rock gigs, jam nights etc particularly in less than salubrious venues. I've also now got a bass in a shade of blue that matches one my suits I have been hankering to wear for some time. :)

[/quote]

Oi!!! That's exactly like mine!!!! Did you nick it?

The pickguard is more creamy than it comes out in the pic.

:)

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134456' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:17 PM']but this bass is priced at a starter market with due compromises built in.[/quote]
So you are still taking the "if it's cheap it has to be sh!t" line.

Does it therefore follow that "if it's expensive it will be good, no question"?

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1134514' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:55 PM']So you are still taking the "if it's cheap it has to be sh!t" line.

Does it therefore follow that "if it's expensive it will be good, no question"?

J.[/quote]

What if I put up my Overwater Progress III Deluxe* up in the 'For Sale' thread for £60 + P&P. Does that make it sh!t because it's cheap?

*Or [insert high-end, expensive, custom bass here]

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1134483' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:34 PM']Oi!!! That's exactly like mine!!!! Did you nick it?

The pickguard is more creamy than it comes out in the pic.

G.[/quote]

No, I whacked a cream pearlescent scratchplate on it, fancied a change from white.

[quote name='skej21' post='1134518' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:59 PM']What if I put up my Overwater Progress III Deluxe* up in the 'For Sale' thread for £60 + P&P. Does that make it sh!t because it's cheap?

*Or [insert high-end, expensive, custom bass here][/quote]
Try it and see!

I for one have never played an Overwater, so I'll brush up my prejudices before commentong on it.

[quote name='ras52' post='1134533' date='Feb 20 2011, 05:11 PM']Try it and see!

I for one have never played an Overwater, so I'll brush up my prejudices before commentong on it.
:)[/quote]

I'm sure it would make a great project for someone.... *tumbleweed*

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1134518' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:59 PM']What if I put up my Overwater Progress III Deluxe* up in the 'For Sale' thread for £60 + P&P. Does that make it sh!t because it's cheap?

*Or [insert high-end, expensive, custom bass here][/quote]

Do it, and I will buy the Overwater for £60, so I can make judgements from first hand experience :)