Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

While we're on the subject of guitars, I just got my Ryder goldtop back from having a set-up done. Yes, it was laughable when I bought it: strung with two A-strings, a badly cut nut and not-quite-even fretwork. So definitely not a good buy for a beginner. But now that it's had a fret dress and the nut slots deepened, it plays pretty well. Since the set-up was only £50 and new strings were a fiver, I've now got a quite playable set-neck goldtop for under £150. I'm happy!

Edited by mart

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1138397' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:53 AM']If anyone is still trying to get hold of a Ryder bass, there is a Red one with a maple fretboard sat in the window of the Thetford shop.[/quote]

Tempted.....no I mustn't. If it were navy I'd be in the car by now. :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1138414' date='Feb 23 2011, 12:03 PM']If you want the Navy/Maple on in the shop near me i could post it to you at cost*.......

[size=1]*Last time i used Interparcel it was about £8[/size][/quote]

No I better not, I've got too many projects on the go at the moment. Thanks for the very kind offer though.
Steve.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1138397' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:53 AM']If anyone is still trying to get hold of a Ryder bass, there is a Red one with a maple fretboard sat in the window of the Thetford shop.[/quote]
Like the sound of that - glad it's nowhere near me!

Red/maple with a black pearl plate would be classy. For skip trash. :)

J.

Go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hmmm, red...)

:)

Picked one up today - flawless transluscent blue finish with a maple neck. It was unplayable out of the shop but a new set of strings and a bit of set up and it's amazing for the money. As the first post said if you'd have paid £200 you wouldn't be disappointed. Now should I buy one of the strats ??????

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1138978' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:29 PM']Picked one up today - flawless transluscent blue finish with a maple neck. It was unplayable out of the shop but a new set of strings and a bit of set up and it's amazing for the money. As the first post said if you'd have paid £200 you wouldn't be disappointed. Now should I buy one of the strats ??????[/quote]

the consensus seems to be that the guitars are nowhere near as good as the basses...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1139378' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:20 PM']the consensus seems to be that the guitars are nowhere near as good as the basses...[/quote]
I disagree. After plugging it in it is clear that the pickups are somewhat thin, but otherwise my strat is as good as the P.

The strings it came were god awful too. The sound was akin to a monkey being stabbed...with a spoon. New strings improved the sound greatly (though it was still not perfect, but I can live with that).

Edited by setekh

[quote name='setekh' post='1139402' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:32 PM']I disagree. After plugging it in it is clear that the pickups are somewhat thin, but otherwise my strat is as good as the P.

The strings it came were god awful too. The sound was akin to a monkey being stabbed...with a spoon. New strings improved the sound greatly (though it was still not perfect, but I can live with that).[/quote]

Never going to the zoo with you.

[quote name='setekh' post='1139402' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:32 PM']I disagree. After plugging it in it is clear that the pickups are somewhat thin, but otherwise my strat is as good as the P.

The strings it came were god awful too. The sound was akin to a monkey being stabbed...with a spoon. New strings improved the sound greatly (though it was still not perfect, but I can live with that).[/quote]

:) I liked the slightly disturbing sound comparison...

as for the quality, I hasten to add that I do not own one, I haven't touched pne, I haven't even seen one in the flesh, so i can't possibly comment (I'll leave that to somebody else :))
I was merely summarising the impression received from previous posts.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1139409' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:36 PM']Never going to the zoo with you.[/quote]
Well, they don't let me in there anymore either :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1139444' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:11 AM']:) I liked the slightly disturbing sound comparison...

as for the quality, I hasten to add that I do not own one, I haven't touched pne, I haven't even seen one in the flesh, so i can't possibly comment (I'll leave that to somebody else :P)
I was merely summarising the impression received from previous posts.[/quote]
:lol:

Sure. It would seem I got lucky :D.

Edited by setekh

[quote name='theplumber' post='1139489' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:29 AM']Are any of you guys playing gigs with the new bass guitars..or just w***ing off over them..if you pardon that expression..... :)[/quote]

I'm not in a band at the moment but have an audition next week and plan to use the Dark Ryder for that.
I'll make sure I clean it up first though. :)

[quote name='theplumber' post='1139489' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:29 AM']Are any of you guys playing gigs with the new bass guitars..or just w***ing off over them..if you pardon that expression..... :)[/quote]

Gigged mine last week - busy pub gig etc.
See post #468

I bought a bass guitar body from e bay,just before christmas. It was a Harrier bass guitar.They seem to be similar to what you guys have bought in that they are a Chinese made? p bass copy. Check out these guitars on e bay.....they retail at just under £90. I put a spare neck on it,and it sounded really good. Gigged with it a few times,plus the band recored one of our gigs...and guess what!..the Harrier cut through the mix and sounded better than my Sandberg p bass. I have played a stock Harrier,but the neck wasn't up to much....needed a bit of fret dressing,etc....but the body finish and pickup sound was brill.....could be another modding source me thinks!

I've struggled along for a couple weeks without doing a saddle adjustment - I've done about as much as I can do with the rod now tho and need to fettle it a the bridge end. Could someone let me know the key size - none of mine fit and unfortunately Sue didn't think to include one in my pack,

Cheers, Mart

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='1139899' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:08 PM']I've struggled along for a couple weeks without doing a saddle adjustment - I've done about as much as I can do with the rod now tho and need to fettle it a the bridge end. Could someone let me know the key size - none of mine fit and unfortunately Sue didn't think to include one in my pack,

Cheers, Mart[/quote]

1/16 inch or 1.5 mm both fit the bridge.