Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1168492' date='Mar 19 2011, 05:09 PM']I went to my local Focus DIY today in search of a suitable drill bit. Decided that 1.5mm was too small and 2.5mm was too large, and couldn't find a 2mm bit. Grrr... I will have to try again another day.[/quote]

Yeah.
Unfortunately, they'll only stock items they are going to sell enough of to make it worth while.

Try Screwfix, they have a good range in 0.5mm steps - [url="http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A337783/Drill-Bits/HSS-Drill-Bits/Ground-HSS-Drills"]http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A337783/Drill...ound-HSS-Drills[/url]

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1168492' date='Mar 19 2011, 05:09 PM']I went to my local Focus DIY today in search of a suitable drill bit. Decided that 1.5mm was too small and 2.5mm was too large, and couldn't find a 2mm bit. Grrr... I will have to try again another day.[/quote]

I've loads of drill bits if you need to borrow one.

I must say I am quite chuffed with the neck. I had Pete make a radius sanding block for it but I did give up on it most of the time and just did it by eye lol. If I could find my 1/4" to 3.5mm jack adaptor I would record the thing. Im trying not to play it too much since the vanish isnt 100% hard yet but Im having a mwah fest lol!!

A

[quote name='apa' post='1168665' date='Mar 19 2011, 07:23 PM']I must say I am quite chuffed with the neck. I had Pete make a radius sanding block for it but I did give up on it most of the time and just did it by eye lol. If I could find my 1/4" to 3.5mm jack adaptor I would record the thing. Im trying not to play it too much since the vanish isnt 100% hard yet but Im having a mwah fest lol!!

A[/quote]
I'm guessing you played around with the fretboard, but did you also shave the neck?

Great work, btw. This is what they should show on extreme makeover.

[quote name='setekh' post='1169003' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:24 PM']I'm guessing you played around with the fretboard, but did you also shave the neck?

Great work, btw. This is what they should show on extreme makeover.[/quote]

Hi setekh

Yep the fingerboard is a strip of rosewood veneer stuck on the defretted original. Not sure what you mean by shaving the neck? If you mean thinning it in some way then no. Its as is. Just mucked around with the FB.

Putting her next to the white stock ryder I have this one does appear to look sleaker especially the neck and headstock. It must be what I have done to her since they are identical physically.

A

[quote name='apa' post='1168437' date='Mar 19 2011, 04:30 PM']The stingray has had a change of plan. Using the original body and sprayed it black with rose wood scratch plate and ebony board. She (Rosie) should be ready next week :)[/quote]

Oooh, I really want to see that one :)

[quote name='hellothere' post='1169662' date='Mar 20 2011, 04:32 PM']Is it a different neck (I thought it was until I saw the Ryder bit) or did you do somethign to it to make it look like that, if so what?[/quote]

Hello there hellothere :)

Im assuming you mean the headstock? I inlaid a strip of walnut burr veneer in the middle bit. The top and bottom is painted with green emulsion (standard B&Q tester for walls) as a base then sized with PVA glue and gilded with gold leaf. The 'Ryder' and 'R' Logos were done using asetate sheet (The A4 sheets you used to use for overhead projectors remember them!!) with the logos photocopied onto them. (I literally stuck the head under the scanner and cleaned it up using photoshop. Handy tip - I put a scale reference on a sticker when I photocopied it so that when I printed it out I could get it 1:1). You then have a stencil. This was stuck on the head with double sided tape and cut out. Did it twice. Once for the green 'shadow' then again for the gold leaf.

The only two things Ive actually changed on this are the pups for Wizard Thumpers and veneered the finger board. Everything else is stock or cosmetic.

A

[quote name='silentbob' post='1169754' date='Mar 20 2011, 06:09 PM']Just spotted this on the bay, looks like a Ryder body. Wonder how much it'll go for?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110662256290&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url][/quote]

Yep looks like a genuine Ryder body to me.

A

[quote name='tom1946' post='1170312' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:56 AM']I think I might part out my 3 spare ones if they get that kind of money.[/quote]

And you all laughed when I said they would become collectors items

HOOO HHAAAA HHAAAA HHAAAAAHHHH :)

A

[quote name='burray' post='1170426' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:36 AM']Had a look around at the weekend for one of these but I'm guessing they're long gone. I saw one in our local SR Retro shop, but that was before I got back into playing bass and I ignored it after a quick glance.

Bugger.[/quote]

Well Tom up there /\ has some for sale in his sig.