Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

Took mine to my weekly pub residency last night with the intention of trying it out live for a couple of songs.
Ended up playing it all night!

Look, its not a custom shop alternative, or even a better bass than a bog standard Precision. What it is though is a great
value for money instrument at a great price - ideal as a noodler, back up or starter bass etc.
Mine is fairly light/well balanced,plays in tune, sounds Precision-y, looks okay and will be easy to upgrade should I want to in the future.
Also the charity will (hopefully) get some benefit from clearing these instruments too.

Thats it, so really what's not to like?

So I shimmed the fretless neck I put on my ryder and put some ddarrio halfwounds on. Its now a nice playing bass!

I must admit that I dont think I could have gigged it stock but now after changing a fair few parts ( things I already had that were collecting dust) i would now gig this! I have a giggable nice sounding bass for £60 + the price of the strings and a few hours locked in my room !

Pictures coming this weekend.. it looks pretty with the tort!

I just can't for the life of me see this as being anywhere near playable...
I can't see it being anything but cheap and nasty and something to put back down as soon as you have picked it up
I must be doing something wrong :)

You guys sure it isn't badged a Gibson..?

:D :P :lol: :)

Well, as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not only that, but this kind of instruments is prone to very patchy QC, which means you can find a few gems in a sea of mediocre stuff. Besides, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121356&hl=cheapest+bass+expensive"]this thread[/url] is evidence enough of what's been advocated for a while - good players make the cheapies sound good.

TBH, I feel like these instruments are facing a similar prejudice japcrap endured a few decades ago. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I'm just not nitpicky, but mine has a straight neck which fits very snugly in the neck pocket, an accurately positioned bridge and tuners which, well, keep in tune. Admittedly, the pickup sounds somewhat thin, but I managed to get my hands on a Fender HW1 pup for just over a score, which makes it a very much playable instrument for not much money.

Edited by setekh

How much are these new..?

The component price must be pennies. Even if they can bolt them together with a degree of success, and they resonate ok..
no dead spots, decent output from the pickups..grub screws on the bridge stay relatively tight so the bridge doesnit slip...the tuners can keep them in tune..??

These are all ssues that have plagued Fender, amongst others and that is without the planks of wood being machined well enough to actually be capable of a decent playing action.
If the action was 3mm, then it isn't playable, IMO. and nor should you bother.

Look, I am happy, ...well, not really, I don't care, as I don't have to play them, ... that they have a use but these can't be good basses.
Useable...?? but that depends what you want/expect.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='1132184' date='Feb 18 2011, 01:28 PM']I just can't for the life of me see this as being anywhere near playable...[/quote]

have you tried? :)

it gets a bit annoying to hear those generalisations based on... *nothing* whatsoever.

I'm sure you know what's best 'though :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1132273' date='Feb 18 2011, 02:32 PM']How much are these new..?

The component price must be pennies. Even if they can bolt them together with a degree of success, and they resonate ok..
no dead spots, decent output from the pickups..grub screws on the bridge stay relatively tight so the bridge doesnit slip...the tuners can keep them in tune..??

[b]These are all ssues that have plagued Fender, amongst others and that is without the planks of wood being machined well enough to actually be capable of a decent playing action.[/b]
If the action was 3mm, then it isn't playable, IMO. and nor should you bother.

Look, I am happy, ...well, not really, I don't care, as I don't have to play them, ... that they have a use but these can't be good basses.
Useable...?? but that depends what you want/expect.[/quote]
I get the impression you have incredibly high standards. Nothing wrong with that, though. It does explain your reluctance in settling for anything other than perfection (although I'm hardly advocating these are perfect, let's not even go there).

[quote name='JTUK' post='1132273' date='Feb 18 2011, 02:32 PM']If the action was 3mm, then it isn't playable, IMO. and nor should you bother.

Useable...?? but that depends what you want/expect.[/quote]

re: action comment.
I *love* that there are enough people judging instruments like you do above. It's provided me with great guitars at good prices over the years. :lol:
One of my Warwicks was sold to me at a great price because of teh high action... the guy tried to lower it but got lots of buzzing and gave up. It didn't even require fret levelling. 20min in my possession made it play great. Bargain :P

I don't know, I have had to set up *every* guitar I ever owned (and that's a LOT of them over the years), whether they were cheap or expensive handmade instruments. The only times I didn't was when I bought used from someone who liked the same action/feel as myself (and similar strings)
Maybe it *is* all down to expectations as you later say. I don't expect perfection, because I am going to adjust any instrument once I decide what strings it has etc. Even some minor fret levelling doesn't faze me. It's all straight forward stuff. And when I can't be bothered because I'm going through a busy period and just want a guitar ready for date X, I take it to my fave luthier who knows how I like them and gets it just right in a fraction of the time it takes me and charges me only about £45 inc. fret levelling and ocassionally a new nut (nut cost apart).
As long as it's structurally sound, neck is not showing worrying signs of instability, and components do the job (let's face it, it's not space-age technology exactly :lol:), there's a good chance I can make it work. If the neck is comfortable, frets are well installed and I don't even need to do teh fret ends... then it's going to be a usable bass.

You should try to play some of the instruments I had to play when I started out!!! That would show you what *unplayable* means :)

I find your dismissal, without even trying one *set-up*, quite interesting.

I never said they're the best. And even nicely set up you might still not like it. I have tried some expensive basses that just did nothing for me. It's personal. But to dismiss a guitar because the components must be cheap (it's basic technology, even an upgrade is cheap! :D and/or the action is high (it's all adjustable to each individual player's taste!) is just... very interesting :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1132281' date='Feb 18 2011, 02:43 PM']If I was to contact the same factory and get a run of the same basses with a J on the plate and knock them out at £200 would they somehow be better??[/quote]

I would love to do that.
Interestingly, I thought the quality/finish was comparable to what I'd expect to find for £189-199 in a shop, so that sounds like a good price tag.

I bet people wouldn't just say "it *has* to be crap". They woudl try, then say "nice" or "nah, not for me". The £60 one however some they might not even touch...

:)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1132273' date='Feb 18 2011, 02:32 PM']they have a use but these can't be good basses.[/quote]

Do you I wonder apply the same lack of logic in reverse with regard to expensive gear? "These cost a fortune so thay can't be bad basses."???
You must be a salesman's wet dream. :)

Very, very bored with the minority of people on here insisting over and over they can't be any good, they're not as good as XYZ, we should leave them for 'the kids', oooh, there'll be loads for sale in a bit when we all see sense. Ok, they're no good, we've all bought the wrong thing, no-one's happy with them, and you were right all along. Move on. Happy now? :)

I am beginning to think that this thread is less about the bass and it's merits and more about what holes can be picked in it because it's cheap therefore it must be crap and not worth spending any effort or cash on.

The stock basses are let down by poor strings, pickups, and most (as far as I can tell) need a neck shim. So yes, they do show their cheapness, and they are almost unplayable, but what can you expect for £60?

In my view my Ryder is a platform to make my own bass. I could probably save up for a few months and afford a decent Fender, but then I wouldn't have the guts to set about modding it with new pickups, scratchplate, electrics, knobs and making it MY bass. Just like some people enjoy modifying a cheap japanese car rather than saving up and buying a posh porsche.

Bottom line in my opinion, is if you have a problem with them for whatever reason, then you can carry on coveting your vintage fenders/boutique customs. Nobody is forcing you to be concerned by these bits of cheap fun! :)

I just know what I like and I know what I can play... and sure, some basses aren't worth the bother.

I very much doubt these would be it.... they fact that the components would most likely be very dodgy and poor quality would seal it. Most of you guys seem to be swapping them out, so that suggests you might agree.

You can flood the things with decent fittings but you'll not get that money back, for sure.

The best way these make sense is the guy said he was modding it as sonmething he liked to do and wanted to experiment
on someone not worth much.

And no, I have seen plenty of expensive basses which fail on certain levels, AFAIAC, so I wouldn't get suckered that way either.

But if you think you have a bargain and bass to play, then good luck to you.

:) :) :lol:

[quote name='Muzz' post='1132319' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:07 PM']Very, very bored with the minority of people on here insisting over and over they can't be any good, they're not as good as XYZ, we should leave them for 'the kids', oooh, there'll be loads for sale in a bit when we all see sense. Ok, they're no good, we've all bought the wrong thing, no-one's happy with them, and you were right all along. Move on. Happy now? :)[/quote]

Damn right, as soon as i finish work i'm going to storm straight to the SR shop to challenge the old dear who sold me the bass, i'm gonna kick her in the t1ts and demand she rectifies the unplayable piece of junk she sold me. There's no possible way it can ever be a good bass because she had the cheek to sell it to me for £60.

I know this because somebody who has never played one told me so. FACT. :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1132313' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:06 PM']Interestingly, I thought the quality/finish was comparable to what I'd expect to find for £189-199 in a shop, so that sounds like a good price tag.

I bet people wouldn't just say "it *has* to be crap". They woudl try, then say "nice" or "nah, not for me". The £60 one however some they might not even touch...[/quote]

The impression I've got is that Ryder have had these basses in for a while as a bit of an 'experiment' but weren't selling them fast enough at the price they were asking.
Given that once they've 'gone' there are no more, looks to me that they've dropped the price right down to £60 just to shift them out of the door...

[quote name='JTUK' post='1132330' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:16 PM']I very much doubt these would be it.... they fact that the components would most likely be very dodgy and poor quality would seal it. Most of you guys seem to be swapping them out, so that suggests you might agree.

You can flood the things with decent fittings but you'll not get that money back, for sure.[/quote]

*very much doubt* you say.
Again, that's a [b]belief[/b] you have, and is not based on experience.
You *may* be right, in principle. But you have no experience. It gets tiring soon.

swapping: *most* only swap the strings (which are TERRIBLE).
Many swap pickguards. That does not improve a bass.
We pretty much all simply just set it up.
Even the pickup is not bad. I'm only changing one of them, not because I can't afford to swap more (yeah, I spent all my money buying cheap basses to mess about with and can't afford bits and pieces now :) :lol:).
One had a bad neck. Others swapped it because they wanted a cheap body as a donor for a neck they already owned.
What did I miss?

If you think it's about getting the money back soemhow... then maybe that throws some light at your attitude.
I don't think anybody here is thinking of getting any money back. Not any more than you get you money back if you spend £40 on booze one evening.

When I've put an expensive preamp in a cheap bass, it was not with the idea that it'll become a more valuable bass. It merely becomes a much nicer bass to play *for me*. I play these things, you know? :)
The day I decide to sell it, *if* I do, I sell teh preamp separately or keep it for another bass.
If it were about cost we wouldn't buy new, as the minute you take a new bass out of teh shop, it loses a good chunk of % from its value.

aaaanyway, what's that saying about a dead horse? :D

[quote name='mcnach' post='1132349' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:35 PM']*very much doubt* you say.
Again, that's a [b]belief[/b] you have, and is not based on experience.
You *may* be right, in principle. But you have no experience. It gets tiring soon.

swapping: *most* only swap the strings (which are TERRIBLE).
Many swap pickguards. That does not improve a bass.
We pretty much all simply just set it up.
Even the pickup is not bad. I'm only changing one of them, not because I can't afford to swap more (yeah, I spent all my money buying cheap basses to mess about with and can't afford bits and pieces now :) :lol:).
One had a bad neck. Others swapped it because they wanted a cheap body as a donor for a neck they already owned.
What did I miss?

If you think it's about getting the money back soemhow... then maybe that throws some light at your attitude.
[b]I don't think anybody here is thinking of getting any money back.[/b][u][/u] Not any more than you get you money back if you spend £40 on booze one evening.

When I've put an expensive preamp in a cheap bass, it was not with the idea that it'll become a more valuable bass. It merely becomes a much nicer bass to play *for me*. I play these things, you know? :)
The day I decide to sell it, *if* I do, I sell teh preamp separately or keep it for another bass.
If it were about cost we wouldn't buy new, as the minute you take a new bass out of teh shop, it loses a good chunk of % from its value.

aaaanyway, what's that saying about a dead horse? :D[/quote]

Im going to have to disagree with you there Jose

One of mine is going 'In the attic' to gather dust and reappear in 10 years time as a much sort after collectors items :lol:

And you can quote me on that :P

A

[quote name='icastle' post='1132338' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:24 PM']The impression I've got is that Ryder have had these basses in for a while as a bit of an 'experiment' but weren't selling them fast enough at the price they were asking.
Given that once they've 'gone' there are no more, looks to me that they've dropped the price right down to £60 just to shift them out of the door...[/quote]

That's exactly right.

I bought mine for a bit of fun to see if it could be made playable at a gig. I've done that and will be using it again on Sunday.
Given something back to a good cause and I'm having fun as a result.

Karma, peace love joy!! :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1132397' date='Feb 18 2011, 04:09 PM']I agree with the £60 just to shift.

But then they never really marketed them how many people didn't see them until it was posted here?? I know if I ever seen an instrument of any kind in a charity shop window I would assume it's a donation rather than a sourced in stock item.[/quote]

If I saw these in a SR shop at £120, I wouldn't even bother to enter. At that price tehre are just too many well known brands that offer something decent. I wouldn't associate a charity shop brand with something of decent quality when it comes to a guitar.

Even at £60, I didn't even consider it at first. I expected it to be crap. Like those kits on eBay for £52.
Until Tom bought one and posted some pictures and comments... and eventually I figured that for £60 I'd gamble.
Then I got mine and the rest is history :)

Nice idea by SR. But it would need some serious marketing, or a very low price to get them into the guitar-buying public in enough numbers.
£120 new? I *know* I can get a "known quantity" brand, used, for that. Why would I try on a total unknown that I'm already biased against because of its provenance?
I think that's what made them fail.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1132397' date='Feb 18 2011, 04:09 PM']I agree with the £60 just to shift.

But then they never really marketed them how many people didn't see them until it was posted here?? I know if I ever seen an instrument of any kind in a charity shop window I would assume it's a donation rather than a sourced in stock item.[/quote]

A lot of charity shops seem to be buying in products to sell through their shops, so they're starting to follow the more generally recognisable retail model - there's one in a town near me that is selling 'mexican style' pine bedroom furniture.

I think marketing a repeatable sourced product is just something they haven't quite got the hang of yet.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1132407' date='Feb 18 2011, 04:19 PM']If I saw these in a SR shop at £120, I wouldn't even bother to enter. At that price tehre are just too many well known brands that offer something decent. I wouldn't associate a charity shop brand with something of decent quality when it comes to a guitar.[/quote]

Ironically, if these were hanging up in a guitar shop at £120 as the shops 'budget' brand, these would have shifted quite well I think.

The problem is that they have no real niche within the retail environment to capitalise on - as far as much of the general public is concerned, charity shops sell secondhand books, clothes and ornaments.

Like many charity shops, SR seem to be branching out and trying new ways of bringing revenue in to support the generally excellent work the core charity is doing.