Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='silddx' post='1121219' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:10 PM']Looks like the basses have all gone though.[/quote]

some may still lurk in actual shops, near you... :lol:

at least until another basschatter arrives and buys the last few remaining all at once :)
(it's happened, I know :))

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1121405' date='Feb 9 2011, 02:33 PM']Just snagged a pick-up from an 80s Jazz Special (the model Duff McKagan uses apparently!) from eBay for £32.77!

What's the best place to get some CTS pots + Sprague drop cap? There's a New Zealander that does a kit for ~£25. Anyone had experience buying from him?[/quote]

Found these on the bay if it's a help.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270689406408&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Wiring kits here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Precision-bass-Wiring-Kit-poly-capacitor-Alpha-pots-/140426888303?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20b218446f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Precision-bass-Wirin...=item20b218446f[/url]

Are Alpha pots any good? Can't find the guy that Grand Wazoo uses...

[quote name='tom1946' post='1121494' date='Feb 9 2011, 03:43 PM']I have 5 of them now. I cleared the shop out at Guisborough :)[/quote]
Crikey! I hope you have many uncles with many attics :)

EDIT:
[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1121405' date='Feb 9 2011, 02:33 PM']Just snagged a pick-up from an 80s Jazz Special (the model Duff McKagan uses apparently!) from eBay for £32.77!

What's the best place to get some CTS pots + Sprague drop cap? There's a New Zealander that does a kit for ~£25. Anyone had experience buying from him?[/quote]
Gah, I was watching that and completely forgot. Uh well, at least I know it's going to be put to good use.

Edited by setekh

[quote name='lojo' post='1121539' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:33 PM']I've only just checked this thread for the first time, now I want a blue one

Anyone gigged one yet?[/quote]

NOt yet. But on Friday I will wear my white Ryder #1 (yep, #1 :)) alongside the Stingray. We'll see.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1121560' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:52 PM']Alert!!!!!

The Sue Ryder shop in Barnstaple has 3 - one black/maple, one white/rosewood & one pale blue/rosewood.

I'll stand out of the way..........

:)

G.[/quote]

Right, filling up the car's tank and I'll be on my way!!! :)
(black and maple! now that's classy)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1120834' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:46 PM']beauty!!!

Mine buzzes a bit when I touch the polepieces. I had that before and can be sorted by grounding the polepieces (from below!). Although I suspect these pickups won't have polepieces accessible from underneath, I bet. In that case... transparent nail varnish is wonderful. I prefer Rimmel 60-seconds (can't believe I can actually recomment a brand of nail varnish... but we used it in the lab to seal coverslips on microscope slieds, honest!!! :)) Colourless, dries really fast. One can apply 3 coats in no time. No pole-piece buzzing. You can buy other interesting colours if interested. I personally have black, silver, and metallic purple. Only for guitars, I swear :)

Not sure if you have that particular issue, butjust in case you or someone else comes across this (not uncommon, unfortunately, at any price range).[/quote]

Black nylons, nail varnish, what's next?

Mine arrived this morning. On the face of it, it doesn't look to bad at all. The navy blue looks almost dark translucent green, the neck is nice and straight with a decent looking maple board. Action is high and the strings feel really cheap.

I'm looking forward to putting my own strings on it and seeing how it is after a tweak. :)

Got mine late last week (Navy/RW) and finally got a chance to restring it and have a play around with it last night. I am pleasantly surprised at how playable it is, everything feels solid and it looks decently put together. It sounds quite bright and nice unplugged too. I've tweaked the action and the truss rod, and the neck now just has a tiny touch of relief. It's still a little high at the dusty end - might it need a shim?

The strings it came with were really horrific, and ridiculously light. I think the A string I put on was pretty much the same gauge as the E string I took off! It actually sounds like a bass now..

The thing with the ferrules on the back being too small is a bit silly, but not a big deal when you can string through the bridge. I don't think I'm arsed enough about the prospect of string-thru to go to the effort of buying bigger ferrules and widening out the holes. I gave it a quick go plugged into my Toneport. It seemed to be a bit lacking in bass but had plenty of punch. Could be the crappy headphones, will have to give it a whirl through an amp and then decide if it can be remedied by pick-up adjustment or whether an upgrade is in order.

Tempted to either pimp it with a go faster stripe or maybe look into relicing it somehow. When I ordered there was just Navy and Red left, wondering if I should have gone down the Red/Tort PG/Relic'ed vibe instead. I bought it because my current back-up bass (Yamaha RBX270) is a bit too RAWK looking. For £60 I think this'll be a decent back up to the Jag and will fit in with the band. Bargain.

[quote name='drewm' post='1123179' date='Feb 10 2011, 08:46 PM']I think I'm done with my Low Ryder for now. Got some screws off eBay, new Elites on, and she's sounding good.

Crappy phone photo - must do some proper ones at some point.

[attachment=71805:photo__1_.jpg][/quote]

STOP CONFUSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

First, I didn't like P-basses. I bought two of these (both white).
Second, I am not a fan of tortoise-shell plates. And you're making me question that too!!! That's a seriously nice combination. Hmmm.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1123196' date='Feb 10 2011, 08:53 PM']STOP CONFUSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Second, I am not a fan of tortoise-shell plates. And you're making me question that too!!! That's a seriously nice combination. Hmmm.[/quote]

Just face facts Jose, Sue Ryder has been responsible for your further education.
You'll be looking at Squiers next, a slippery slope. :)

[quote name='bungle' post='1122591' date='Feb 10 2011, 01:36 PM']The thing with the ferrules on the back being too small is a bit silly, but not a big deal when you can string through the bridge. I don't think I'm arsed enough about the prospect of string-thru to go to the effort of buying bigger ferrules and widening out the holes.[/quote]

Hi
Has anybody strung it through the body. If so what strings did you use ?

[quote name='pikeman' post='1123200' date='Feb 10 2011, 08:59 PM']Just face facts Jose, Sue Ryder has been responsible for your further education.
You'll be looking at Squiers next, a slippery slope. :)[/quote]

He'll be ditching that Stingray and buying an MIA PB before the years out just you wait and see... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1123229' date='Feb 10 2011, 09:17 PM']He'll be ditching that Stingray and buying an MIA PB before the years out just you wait and see... :)[/quote]

Ditching the Stingray? I doubt it.
But I can now see how one day I may actually buy a proper seriously nice P-bass. The irony is my first two basses were P-style (Squier), and I've owned another in PJ config (Jim Deacon) and two other more modern takes on a PJ (Stagg and older Ibanez SR400). All those basses shared one thing: I would ignore the P pickup, and the straight P-basses would just languish.
It took a Sue Ryder bass for me to go "whoa, listen to this".

you just never never know...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1123196' date='Feb 10 2011, 08:53 PM']STOP CONFUSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Second, I am not a fan of tortoise-shell plates. And you're making me question that too!!! That's a seriously nice combination. Hmmm.[/quote]

I was the exact same, hated every P Bass i played until the Sue Ryder. But sorry, i still cant stand tort plates :)

Now that the're all sold out, does anyone know anything about the origins of this particular P copy? I doubt very much that these basses were built exclusive for SR. The factory that built them surely must build for other company's aswell?

I think there are basses out there of good quality for not much money but these seemed to be very good value evan at the £119 full price, nevermind half price at £60. Any opinions?