Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='mcnach' post='1119546' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:03 PM']It wasn't so much about buying *any* cheap bass. I don't need another bass :lol:

But the Sue Ryder turned out to be quite nice and a good substrate for modification (a hobby of mine, and why not?)

It seems unless someone decides to sell theirs on, I'm out of luck.[/quote]

MB1. :)
"Basses For Sale Perhaps?" :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1119546' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:03 PM']It wasn't so much about buying *any* cheap bass. I don't need another bass :)

But the Sue Ryder turned out to be quite nice and a good substrate for modification (a hobby of mine, and why not?)[/quote]

Is the Sue Ryder bass any better a bass or a base for modification than an Aria STB?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1119587' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:37 PM']Is the Sue Ryder bass any better a bass or a base for modification than an Aria STB?[/quote]

Exactly. The STB i have is spot on, very well built, i paid £45 for it and one has just sold on here for £55.

The Ryder is prob better for a neck swap mod as the STB has an irregular neck pocket. However the STB has a good stable neck so it's unlikely you'll want to swap it. I modded my Jazz with a tort plate, bridge and pickup covers and a tug-bar - looks the nuts.
The Johnny Brook basses aren't standard size parts i don't think. Someone off here got one for modding and had a nightmare finding parts!
I've been on the lookout for a Hohner JJ for modding, standard dimensions and very well built. My fretless has a Mighty Mite neck on and the pocket is tight as a nun's proverbial.

I had the Jonny Brooke. Good bass but nothing standard. If anyone wants my sonic blue sue Ryder and can pick it up from Cheltenham I'm quite happy to part with it,(for less than £150 lol!) I took a peek and bought one, It's fantastic, I'm happy to keep it, but it'll never leave the bedroom and I know me, I'll never get round to mods lol.
Pm if you want it. It's not 'for sale' as it were, but I've got one I wont use, in the spirit of Basschat, if there's disappointed people out there that really wanted one and missed out then it's silly me just sitting on it, I'll pass the karma on and let it go at a loss with the blocks. (not the stripes though;)

Let's be VERY clear, it's the one in the MIDDLE!!!
:)

Edited by gafbass02

It's been a busy old day in the life of my Dark Ryder.
This morning it was sat there in pieces in the studio feeling sorry for itself.
By lunchtime the postie had delivered some bolts and lugs for fitting to the replacement neck.
Never used these before but the neck has been on and off so many bodies in its life and had so many holes in the back.
These have been filled and I set to work drilling the holes to screw the lugs into. It worked out quite easy to do and makes
changing necks very easy indeed.
New neck on, not a bad fit, not quite as tight as the Ryder neck but still a good fit.
I put some old strings on to see how she looked. Oh dear, the neck had quite a bow so I set about adjusting the truss rod.
That done and the saddles adjusted, it needed a shim. Off with the neck, so easy with the bolt/ lug system, shim made and fitted
and neck back on within 10 minutes, Great action now, just how I like it.

Findings.
The bass side of the tone pot is a lot quieter than the treble. I was hoping to get away without changing the pots but I think I was
being a little optomistic.
The pickup is OK but I think a Wizard might be on the cards.

Still to do.
I was going to change the pickguard but this one is growing on me. Watch this space.
I'd like a matching headstock but knowing me I'll probably never get round to it.
Straplocks
Pots and pickups but I'll wait to hear how the brand new strings sound first.

I even found time to take a few quick shots before the sun went down.
It's been good to find a home for the old neck, saved me selling it on.
Hope you like it so far.

Steve.

Righty then. For those of you that were interested:

Here is a sound clip of the Ryder straight out the box:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/alexmcalpine/ryderbass-stockstrings"]http://soundcloud.com/alexmcalpine/ryderbass-stockstrings[/url]

And now a clip of it fitted with fresh super slinkies:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/alexmcalpine/ryderbass-slinkystrings"]http://soundcloud.com/alexmcalpine/ryderbass-slinkystrings[/url]

Both tracks recorded by DI straight in to Logic.

Will do the same for the tele and strat later this evening.

My Low Ryder is coming together. Fitted the tortoise shell plate (inexpertly, but that's the point of messing with a cheap bass!) and added some Warwick straplocks.

Currently seasick steved with one string while I debug an electrical buzz. I think it's earthing, as the buzz stops as soon as I touch the strings or bridge.

Also: need some more screws for the plate. Looked in Homebase but they had nothing that matched. Any suggestions?

Edited by drewm

[quote name='drewm' post='1120478' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:36 PM']My Low Ryder is coming together. Fitted the tortoise shell plate (inexpertly, but that's the point of messing with a cheap bass!) and added some Warwick straplocks.

Currently seasick steved with one string while I debug an electrical buzz. I think it's earthing, as the buzz stops as soon as I touch the strings or bridge.

Also: need some more screws for the plate. Looked in Homebase but they had nothing that matched. Any suggestions?[/quote]

you can get s/plate screws cheaply on ebay, Nick

[quote name='drewm' post='1120478' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:36 PM']My Low Ryder is coming together. Fitted the tortoise shell plate (inexpertly, but that's the point of messing with a cheap bass!) and added some Warwick straplocks.[/quote]

Where did you get your scratchplate form? Is that a mexican style plate?

EDIT: WD Music do 20 pickguard screws for less than £2 (+ delivery)

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1120636' date='Feb 8 2011, 08:58 PM']Where did you get your scratchplate form? Is that a mexican style plate?[/quote]

The plate came from [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140386030429"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140386030429[/url]

The neck part took quite a bit of working, and the fit isn't perfect, but it's ok.

Will check ebay for the screws - don't know why I didn't think of there first!

[quote name='pikeman' post='1120340' date='Feb 8 2011, 05:48 PM']It's been a busy old day in the life of my Dark Ryder.
This morning it was sat there in pieces in the studio feeling sorry for itself.
By lunchtime the postie had delivered some bolts and lugs for fitting to the replacement neck.
Never used these before but the neck has been on and off so many bodies in its life and had so many holes in the back.
These have been filled and I set to work drilling the holes to screw the lugs into. It worked out quite easy to do and makes
changing necks very easy indeed.
New neck on, not a bad fit, not quite as tight as the Ryder neck but still a good fit.
I put some old strings on to see how she looked. Oh dear, the neck had quite a bow so I set about adjusting the truss rod.
That done and the saddles adjusted, it needed a shim. Off with the neck, so easy with the bolt/ lug system, shim made and fitted
and neck back on within 10 minutes, Great action now, just how I like it.

Findings.
The bass side of the tone pot is a lot quieter than the treble. I was hoping to get away without changing the pots but I think I was
being a little optomistic.
The pickup is OK but I think a Wizard might be on the cards.

Still to do.
I was going to change the pickguard but this one is growing on me. Watch this space.
I'd like a matching headstock but knowing me I'll probably never get round to it.
Straplocks
Pots and pickups but I'll wait to hear how the brand new strings sound first.

I even found time to take a few quick shots before the sun went down.
It's been good to find a home for the old neck, saved me selling it on.
Hope you like it so far.

Steve.[/quote]

That's really good looking... I see what you mean now what you said about my plans to refinish it. I thought they were solid navy blue. Hmmm... Shall I still go for either white or sonic blue before the avy blue now? decisions, decisions... :)

[quote name='drewm' post='1120478' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:36 PM']My Low Ryder is coming together. Fitted the tortoise shell plate (inexpertly, but that's the point of messing with a cheap bass!) and added some Warwick straplocks.

Also: need some more screws for the plate. Looked in Homebase but they had nothing that matched. Any suggestions?[/quote]

beauty!!!

Mine buzzes a bit when I touch the polepieces. I had that before and can be sorted by grounding the polepieces (from below!). Although I suspect these pickups won't have polepieces accessible from underneath, I bet. In that case... transparent nail varnish is wonderful. I prefer Rimmel 60-seconds (can't believe I can actually recomment a brand of nail varnish... but we used it in the lab to seal coverslips on microscope slieds, honest!!! :)) Colourless, dries really fast. One can apply 3 coats in no time. No pole-piece buzzing. You can buy other interesting colours if interested. I personally have black, silver, and metallic purple. Only for guitars, I swear :)

Not sure if you have that particular issue, butjust in case you or someone else comes across this (not uncommon, unfortunately, at any price range).

[quote name='ras52' post='1121169' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:36 AM']I'm still waiting for mine, and following all this talk of modding with interest. But since they're now collectors' items, I might keep it all original - I'm not as young as I used to be and need to start thinking about investing for my old age :P[/quote]

:) :) FFS! :lol: :D

[quote name='theplumber' post='1104223' date='Jan 26 2011, 07:23 PM']Did the very self same thing....thought ..this looks nice...only £60...mmmm....then I remembered I have just sold my Sandberg cause I was skint.......[/quote]
Same here, nearly bought the white Tele and the Cutaway Classical and only just managed to stop myself too! I just sold my two German Warwicks because I wanted a Fender Jazz and a leccy drum kit. It's mad, they look so good for the money. The classical has a solid spruce top and laminate rosewood sides!

Looks like the basses have all gone though.