Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1125866' date='Feb 13 2011, 12:33 PM']Gigged my Ryder last night! I took my Washburn with me just in case, but ended up using the Ryder all night. So far all that's changed from stock is a neck shim and a set of flatwounds. I'm quite excited about getting the new pickups, as the stock one seems to clip(!?)[/quote]

What pups are you putting in there plus you'll have to let me know if you're gigging local soon, would love to hear it?

[quote name='pikeman' post='1125881' date='Feb 13 2011, 12:46 PM']What pups are you putting in there plus you'll have to let me know if you're gigging local soon, would love to hear it?[/quote]

I've got some pups from eBay on the way from an 80s Fender Jazz Special :) I'm always gigging locally, our band's gig list is here: [url="http://www.laapband.com/GigList.html"]http://www.laapband.com/GigList.html[/url]

Sorry to sound negative, but how has a thread about a bog standard budget P Bass copy managed to get 20 pages long?? Whilst several basschatters have jumped on board and bought one, i would image it is highly likely that a better quality P copy could be bought second hand off ebay or wherever for similar money... Although if supporting the charity is the main reason (i havn't read the entire thread) then i take my negativity back :)

Edited by Kev

I received my navy Ryder on tuesday and changed the strings pretty much immediately to some old rotosounds, plugged in and it had a nice sound but a fair bit of buzzing from the pickups. I also found the neck fairly uncomfortable and heavy so I decided to mod this bass.

So this weekend I set to work on making my Ryder bass more playable for me. Heres what I did :

-I first put a MIM defretted jazz bass neck on. This seemed to fit fine but I am going to shim the neck as the action is too high even with the bridge set up low and the the truss rod tweaked. I used the tuners from the Ryder, they seem fine, a bit stiff but thats ok.

-Shielded the control cavity and sorted out the grounding wire.

- Changed the scratchplate to a tort one that i had from an old bass. I had to do a fair bit of work round the neck to make it fit and redrill all the screw holes but it fits ok now and looks better than the stock scratchplate imo.

-Put some old MIM p bass pickups in and some nice pots with solderless connections. Main reason I changed the pickups is that the stock ones didnt fit the scratchplate! Nothing wrong with them really but I like these MIM pickups anyway.

Think thats it!

Plugged the Ryder/mim p bass in and im pleased with the sound. The buzzing has completely gone and Im a lot happier with this neck. I really like the body finish and the bridge. I know i changed a lot of parts but I didnt buy any of the replacement bits as they were all old unused bits I had lying around. As far as Im concerned its still a £60 bass! I will post pictures tomorrow after the neck shim hopefully.

[quote name='mononick' post='1126605' date='Feb 14 2011, 12:53 AM']Plugged the Ryder/mim p bass in and im pleased with the sound. The buzzing has completely gone and Im a lot happier with this neck. I really like the body finish and the bridge. I know i changed a lot of parts but I didnt buy any of the replacement bits as they were all old unused bits I had lying around. As far as Im concerned its still a £60 bass! I will post pictures tomorrow after the neck shim hopefully.[/quote]

So, that's £60 for a painted alder body.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1126676' date='Feb 14 2011, 08:55 AM']So, that's £60 for a painted alder body.[/quote]

An alder body which has been painted, sculpted, routed and fitted with a high mass bridge (if you bought a fender highmass you'd be [url="http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1730"]looking at about $60[/url])

Why are people being so sceptical? It's just a bit of fun!

Yep. I think most people realise what this thread is about :)

Its a £60 bass. Ive had a couple of quips taken the wrong way!! Its all good fun. If you have some nice bits laying around like necks and pups then this is perfect to them!

Its all good fun, a laugh for the price of a few rounds down the pub!

We're all having fun with them and solved Sue's problem of what to do with old stock they dont want pretty quickly.

Happy days init :)

A

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1126702' date='Feb 14 2011, 09:21 AM']An alder body which has been painted, sculpted, routed and fitted with a high mass bridge (if you bought a fender highmass you'd be [url="http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1730"]looking at about $60[/url])[/quote]

Sorry that didn't come across very well: I meant that £60 was good value for the body even if you threw most of the other bits away.

People planning drive-by's of the various shops can take Woodbridge off the list: no guitars here, just girly dresses. Unless of course ...

Talking to a couple of Basschatters who've bought these it seems that a further donation was added at the time of purchase. This is really a win / win situation for all concerned.
Personally, I've had great fun modding my Dark Ryder. Mines more or less finished, I fitted an old Fender pickup this morning and honestly, it sounds as good as any Precision I've played and that's quite a few over the last 40 years. My God, that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to try it in anger now.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1126817' date='Feb 14 2011, 11:15 AM']People planning drive-by's of the various shops can take Woodbridge off the list: no guitars here, just girly dresses. Unless of course ...[/quote]
Just waiting now for the first pic of a (male) BC-er playing their RP-1 in a girly dress...

[quote name='pete.young' post='1126817' date='Feb 14 2011, 11:15 AM']Sorry that didn't come across very well: I meant that £60 was good value for the body even if you threw most of the other bits away.

People planning drive-by's of the various shops can take Woodbridge off the list: no guitars here, just girly dresses. Unless of course ...[/quote]

No problem. It's tough sometimes to figure out the tone people are trying to put across!

I think I may have to get a bridge ashtray purely for ergonomic reasons :) I found myself scratching my right hand on the saddle grub screws on Saturday night.

I'm slowly turning this into "Pimp My Ryd(er)"

Decided to purchase the one my local shop had - the much sought after Navy with Maple fretboard believe it or not!

I noticed in the shop that the bridge was misaligned but that's not a big job, other than that it's hunky dory, might leave it as it is. I got it for plinking around on at work so it'll probably never be plugged in.

Unfortunately the maple board isn't anything like the one's i've seen on the Ryder guitars, very plain but functional. Frustratingly there's a nice bit of quilt on the back of the neck!

Mine came with the gigbag, lead, strap and truss/bridge allen keys, score!

If any BCers are swinging through the Blackpool area and fancy swapping their RW board for my Maple one then i'd be up for that. I wanted RW but it looks like this is the last available SR bass in the country!

I received my navy blue one today, with a maple board. Like the other one a couple of posts above, the maple is as plain as it gets. No complaining, it will work just fine, but the one pikeman sent me from his Ryder is a lot prettier.

Usual high action and extremely crap strings, but that will be taken care of. Sounds good and feels good. Happy.

I wasn't sure which one to strip to natural, my second white one or the navy blue. Now I know for sure: the blue one. The finish is really dark, and the not unpretty grain can be seen, bt only if you get very close and pay attention, it does look like a solid colour almost. I don't care for navy blue, so this one will be stripped. Besides, this one had a sizeable knock on the back of the body. It only affects the finish... so another reason why this will be the best candidate for a natural finish job.

Very soon, very soon...

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1127451' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:59 PM']Yeah on mine the front is quite a solid blue from a few feet away, the back is beautiful though!

That along with the neck/fingerboard woods makes me thing they built this bass back to front![/quote]

ha! True! on mine the back is indeed nicer... the grain is more clearly visible and the back of the neck is much more interesting to look at than the front :)

[quote name='Dusty' post='1127467' date='Feb 14 2011, 07:08 PM']So who's going to start the Sue Ryder's Owners Group ? :)[/quote]

*COUGH*

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121738"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121738[/url]

A