Why become a member? ×

Paul Simon Turns His Back On Bass....

wateroftyne

Apparently, his new record is bass-free. From this month's MOJO:

[quote]I just decided I really don't like bass. The two gods I worship are Bo Diddley - no bass! - and Mystery Train by Elvis Presley which has stand-up bass you can't hear much.[/quote]

Wow... working with Bakithi Kumalo and Tony Levin all those years must have really p*ssed him off. :)

Here's the single he released last month, and... no bass! Regardless of whether I like the song or not, IMO it just sounds empty:

[quote name='risingson' post='1098751' date='Jan 22 2011, 03:44 PM']He's obviously just choosing to take a different direction with his music, I've got to say though some of the best bass ever gone down on a record was Bakithi Kumalo's stuff on Graceland.[/quote]i agree, some wonderful bass playing..

Paul Simon goes through phases. He'll get back to loving bass soon.

I like this number, but he's not completely right about Bo Diddley. At the start Bo didn't use a bass player but Willie Dixon played on some of his records and I saw him several times touring with a full band.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1098743' date='Jan 22 2011, 03:37 PM']It's alright I turned my back on Paul Simon due to his music being sh*te with or without bass.[/quote]

:) Just spat me tea all over the keyboard!! Cracked me right up WPD!
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='chris_b' post='1098869' date='Jan 22 2011, 05:19 PM']Paul Simon goes through phases. He'll get back to loving bass soon.

I like this number, but he's not completely right about Bo Diddley. At the start Bo didn't use a bass player but Willie Dixon played on some of his records and I saw him several times touring with a full band.[/quote]

When I saw him some time in the mid-eighties, Duck Dunn was playing bass for him.

I think this whole "no bass" idea is just a bit of a fad. Started out with the white stripes, then went onto the gossip (who also started the "let's buy this person's records because they're fat and ugly and therefore we can pretend that we're not just shallow and obsessed with looks" trend followed on swiftly by Susan Boyle) and now paul simon. Unfortunately 95% of music listeners wouldn't be able to hear the bass anyway on account of playing music through their tinny little laptop speakers or "skullcandy" earbuds...

Edited by EdwardHimself

I think the only band I've seen/heard that sound good without bass are Jon Spencer blues explosion, but even they compensate with bass lines played low on a guitar.

Maybe Paul Simon had a night terror about bieng at a neds atomic dustbin gig and that's why he's now so anti bass?

[quote name='headofire' post='1099172' date='Jan 22 2011, 11:00 PM']chin up boys... its not like any of us were in line for the gig. invent your own lines and send it in to the man... you never know :)[/quote]

That is the best idea I've heard in the whole week. I think I'll arrange some bass and send him a copy by email that will put a smile on his face. :)

The idea of "no bass" really isn't that original or shocking, I mean this stripped down sound has been done a thousand times. What about Sea Sick Steve? In a number of his songs, there isn't even guitar at least in the conventional sense, just the One-Stringed Diddley Bow. Just one string nailed onto a pieceof wood with a pick up attatched. Furthermore, consider the electro bands of the 80's, a sound being brought back to resurgence by Hurts. Guitar, drums, keyboards, vocals, yes - but no bass.