Why become a member? ×

Fender Factory Tour 1959

Cat Burrito

[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=500+South+Raymond,+los+angeles&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=500+S+Raymond+Ave,+Pasadena,+Los+Angeles,+California+91105,+United+States&ll=34.137104,-118.14881&spn=0.001383,0.001824&t=h&z=19&lci=org.wikipedia.en&layer=c&cbll=34.137104,-118.14881&panoid=Ko4WtUigZySX_QXJDyNEZw&cbp=12,139.73,,0,12.41"]50 years on...[/url]

Really interesting, thanks for posting it.

No health and safety apparent there though! The guy in the spray booth and the woodworkers have no respiratory protection or other personal protective equipment, no machine guarding (watch the ejected piece of wood at 2.55!), I wonder how many early Fender employees had respiratory health problems later in life, or took a few fingers of, or had a eye out ..

[quote name='silddx' post='1088123' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:08 PM']Really interesting, thanks for posting it.

No health and safety apparent there though! The guy in the spray booth and the woodworkers have no respiratory protection or other personal protective equipment, no machine guarding (watch the ejected piece of wood at 2.55!), I wonder how many early Fender employees had respiratory health problems later in life, or took a few fingers of, or had a eye out ..[/quote]

I had an interesting coversation with a factory inspector a few years ago about guards. He said in SOME cases, people got complacent because there were guards fitted to machines, and they bo longer took reasonable care.

I used to work in a factory in 1962 and it was not unlike that in terms of machinery. We used to have a plating shop with open windows and no ventilation, and we all used trichloroetheline by the bucketfull for cleaning.

How times change

Great film. Thanks.

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/255984-fender-factory-1959-a.html"]There's an interesting discussion of this film at the TDPRI.[/url]

Some argument that the film must be earlier than 1959, possibly 1957, due to the appearance of a Jazzmaster prototype.

And a claim that this:

is [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Tavares"]Freddie Tavares[/url] playing said Jazzmaster prototype.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1088274' date='Jan 13 2011, 04:42 PM']What a great video. Love the Guys jamming and looking cool at the end :)[/quote]

I wonder if they could've imagined what those two guitars they're mucking about on would be worth now?