Why become a member? ×

Fender Factory Tour 1959

Cat Burrito

Interesting to see this video of the factory in Corona 50 years on, by way of comparison.
Routers that cut out up to eight guitar bodies at a time, the "guitars-r-us" drying rack and Abigail Ybarra, who's been there making pickups since 1956!
Spot the Jaco 'relic' body! :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1088952' date='Jan 14 2011, 09:20 AM']Yes! Check out 3:00.

Fender thinks that the wood makes more of a difference to the tone than the pickups!!!![/quote]
How come P basses and J basses made from the same wood sound different then?

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1088956' date='Jan 14 2011, 09:24 AM']How come P basses and J basses made from the same wood sound different then?[/quote]

Much thicker and slightly stiffer neck on the P bass probably makes most of the sound difference since the theory with graphite necks is that they make the biggest variable in the guitars tone consistent.

Great to see the old Fender factory and seeing the truck parked outside made me realise how futuristic Fenders must have looked in the 50s compared with other products at the time.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1089437' date='Jan 14 2011, 03:21 PM']Much thicker and slightly stiffer neck on the P bass probably makes most of the sound difference since the theory with graphite necks is that they make the biggest variable in the guitars tone consistent.[/quote]
So the P pickup on this yoke will sound like a J, given there's a J neck on it?

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1089462' date='Jan 14 2011, 03:43 PM']So the P pickup on this yoke will sound like a J, given there's a J neck on it?[/quote]

Not completely, but it'll probably not sound like a P bass either. I had J pickups in my P bass for a while and it still sounded more like a Precision than a Jazz....

I used to have a P bass with a Jazz neck and it sounded almost like a Jazz until I put J pickups in and it sounded almost completely like a Jazz.

Not exactly conclusive research but it's the feeling I got with those basses!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1089707' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:15 PM']Not completely, but it'll probably not sound like a P bass either. I had J pickups in my P bass for a while and it still sounded more like a Precision than a Jazz....

I used to have a P bass with a Jazz neck and it sounded almost like a Jazz until I put J pickups in and it sounded almost completely like a Jazz.

Not exactly conclusive research but it's the feeling I got with those basses![/quote]
So what is NOT a Precision Bass sound, and likewise for a Jazz Bass?

[quote name='silddx' post='1089822' date='Jan 14 2011, 08:41 PM']So what is NOT a Precision Bass sound, and likewise for a Jazz Bass?[/quote]

Difficult to put in words and likely to derail this Factory Tour thread more than it has already!

I'll start a new topic in Bass Guitars. :)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1089918' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:06 PM']Difficult to put in words and likely to derail this Factory Tour thread more than it has already!

I'll start a new topic in Bass Guitars. :)[/quote]
Cool man! Thanks. I'm genuinely interested in what people think about those timbres, qualitatively and quantitatively.

Obviously, neither is as good a a Warwick of course :)