Why become a member? ×

Anybody want to chip in...?

Jigster

yeah i love it...bet sounds awsome... but for near 8K i would be looking elsewhere... Devon, a custom built Pensa/Suhr... not worth it IMO....ive gone off vintage instruments...they either weigh a tonne or there sh*te.. too much trouble to find a good one... A Laky would out perform a vintage Jazz in everyway....

i bet you an MIA or MIJ sounds just as good... then again i havent played a great J or P

IMO BG are way overpriced..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1082524' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:12 PM']yeah i love it...bet sounds awsome... but for near 8K i would be looking elsewhere... Devon, a custom built Pensa/Suhr... not worth it IMO

IMO BG are way overpriced..[/quote]

Overpriced? where have you been comparing it to? Ok sure its not as cheep as basschat, but not even ebay is as cheep as basschat

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1082529' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:15 PM']Overpriced? where have you been comparing it to? Ok sure its not as cheep as basschat, but not even ebay is as cheep as basschat[/quote]
Not a Fender expert but generally BG are over priced... i may have been wrong, and have got used to BC's prices.. but £1200 for a mid 90's SR5...? £1200 for a Fender RI 62... ? you can them new for £1400 tops... wish i was a retailer when i sold my basses...

i get it from here....Bass Direct are selling a 2007 SR5 for a grand... yeah generally they are overpriced...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082560' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:50 PM']I wouldn't be seen dead with that piece of tat![/quote] :) i would if i could sell it..dont get me wrong i would love to play it, but £8000 for a bass that was once worth £800 ... no way...i understand that they wound the pups different back then and the instruments (sometimes) sound amazing but....

pays your money, takes your choice....

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1082562' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:50 PM']Not a Fender expert but generally BG are over priced... i may have been wrong, and have got used to BC's prices.. but £1200 for a mid 90's SR5...? £1200 for a Fender RI 62... ? you can them new for £1400 tops... wish i was a retailer when i sold my basses...

i get it from here....Bass Direct are selling a 2007 SR5 for a grand... yeah generally they are overpriced...[/quote]

bass direct arn't in camden, quite simply their overheads can't be the same. I would say £1k for a 2007 SR5 is still very overpriced. Also if you think BG is bad for overpricing then check out New kings Road Vintage pricing, their basses go over 10k!!!!

Back to the whole vintage thing, i wouldn't pay £8k for a bass but i would really like a bass that made me feel like James Jameson or Duck Dunn. I think thats why some people do it, and if i had that amount going spare i definately would

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1082575' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:59 PM']bass direct arn't in camden, quite simply their overheads can't be the same. I would say £1k for a 2007 SR5 is still very overpriced. Also if you think BG is bad for overpricing then check out New kings Road Vintage pricing, their basses go over 10k!!!!

Back to the whole vintage thing, i wouldn't pay £8k for a bass but i would really like a bass that made me feel like James Jameson or Duck Dunn. I think thats why some people do it, and if i had that amount going spare i definately would[/quote]i get your point... didnt really factor in that issue... if i had the SPARE cash, i would have to look very hard... i just know that someone else could build me a bass beyond anything that a vintage Fender could bring me...the old tone cant be that good..

or can it???

i really need to try a really good vintage jazz.. or do I.? prob be the death of me..

I love it.
£8k though? Mmm, not sure myself. If I had the dosh then I'd probably go for it,
knowing that I could get my money back or even a profit if/when I came to sell.

Cue lots of the usual vintage vs. relic vs. custom built comments.....

I too would like to see more details. I'm pretty sure though that anybody considering parting with £8k would want to see, hold and play the bass (and discuss its provenance at length with Alex/Martin). I'm pretty sure too that the price is negotiable - I don't know, but I'd imagine the bass is on consignment and the seller may consider offers. The P is very expensive but we're not really talking about the standard bass market here. I can't see this going to anybody other than a pretty serious collector - first year of rosewood boards, tort plate and all original and intact. If this was a private sale, I'd say it would be upwards of £5.5k

[quote name='casapete' post='1082993' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:13 AM']I love it.
£8k though? Mmm, not sure myself. If I had the dosh then I'd probably go for it,
knowing that I could get my money back or even a profit if/when I came to sell.[/quote]

+1. I mean we spend a lot more money on a car knowing it's going to lose at least half it's value in 3 years time. It's an investment really.

Lovely Bass!! buying vintage is not for me though!! im sure itll be a sound investment as these things will continue to appreciate in value over the years,( i wonder modern fenders will over the next 30 years, probably not!! ) which i think is a shame as they were made to played but i bet a lot end up in safes or sat in cases, what a waste!!! all of my favourite tones come from vintage fenders but if i had 8k to spend on a bass i want to see nice woods and state of the art electronics, i,d go for a nice fodera or a ken smith or alembic and im sure bernie goodfellow could make something very special for a lot less than 8k wether they will have the same allure in 30/40 years i dont know.
Ill wait till i win the lottery and ill get one when 8k is just loose change :)

Classic case of vintage Fenders that polarise opinion. I for one love Fenders, and if I had the money I'd probably buy it, in the same way that if I had the money I'd probably buy a Ferrari GT250 California. I find the prospect of buying a £7-8000 Fender no different than buying a Fodera or Alembic of a similar price, and seeing as though I'd sooner play a Fender product over both of the latter I feel confident that if I did buy a vintage Fender that expensive that I would use it. On top of this, this bass's price has no where to go but up should you ever want to move it.

The asking price of a bass is what you make of it really, you could never call anything a ridiculous asking price because whilst you might think that, someone else out there would probably disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!