Why become a member? ×

Ugly?

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1081686' date='Jan 8 2011, 12:07 AM']I think that I would remove the scratch plate and it would them look cool. Don't know what to make of the headstock logo tho'.

Edit. It reminds me of Movember. :)[/quote]
Or it wants to be one of those 118 eejits. :)

Reminds me of an Italia design. I quite like it. Couldn't see myself playing it, but it's quite nice just to look at. Mark you, I've never seen a Fender-based design that was anything like as good-looking as the originals. The nearest to a really successful design are the Schecter Diamond-P and the Vintage Advance AV-4/4+1. IMHO. YMMV. FTMA. (Far Too Many Acronyms :) )

Seen these on Ebay a few times and I like them a lot - there's a version with a single MM type pup as well:

[url="http://www.deanguitars.com/hillsboro_basses.php"]http://www.deanguitars.com/hillsboro_basses.php[/url]

Good to see a manufacturer putting an interesting twist on traditional designs, IMO - I'd happily be seen with one of these. :)

Jon.

who one earth designed the pick guard? Trouble with people who design basses...there not designers so have absolutely no concept of what works as a shape or what shapes fit together...

you just end up with some weird shapes that look like they have drawn them in 2 minutes..

Its like the F Bass..The BN5 has a lovely shape....But when they added that Jazz,ish lump of a pickguard, it just looks terrible

IMO

i would still play it though.. :)

Edited by bubinga5

I wonder how many people are knee-jerking about the scratchplate just because it's such an unfamiliar shape? Considering that, apart from mounting the controls on this bass, it serves no purpose other than a decorative embellishment, I think as such it's a pleasing design which gives the bass some character & individuality it would otherwise lack. Likewise the headstock - it's nice to see an inline design that owes little to Fender and is - in my opinion - a more coherent & attractive shape than many other attempts. I think it would give a better impression with a less vulgar logo - but then, this is a Dean!

The only design element I don't really like are the slightly swollen, bulbous horns - they give the body a sort of cartoonish aspect that doesn't really fit with any other part of the design.

J.