Why become a member? ×

Who has No Effects?

bubinga5

None for me. For the punk I dig in real hard with a pick by the bridge, for the ska I play fingerstyle right over the pup and the reggae I play up by the neck. Can get three good soundslike that.

I have tried overdrive pedals but they did not work for me so I gave up on effects a long time ago.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1062571' date='Dec 18 2010, 03:44 PM']In that case I'll have your EBS chorus and octave to replace my ageing BOSS units! :)[/quote]

i must admit i had a go of ebs stuff it is great, beats my beringer v amp :-O i have a tc compressor which is very great, but dont use it much

I use a bit of chorus (Boss) and phase (Ibanez) in a couple of places, to add a bit of colour. I use an old Yamaha octaver on a couple of tunes, and some really filthy nasty distortion (Ibanez Phat Hed) on occasion. I also have a Korg tuner and a Boss volume pedal.
Thinking of getting a Bass Pod XT Live to replace that lot, and give me some other possibilities.

boss OC-2 for 2 songs with the wedding band, other than that I just use the overdrive bullt into my amp - I've never found a decent overdrive pedal that did exactly what i wanted either

plus I cannot be arsed faffing about on my hands and knees changing setting or going to night school to get a qualification to be able to work one of those multi effects units competently enough to be able to change effects settings at a gig

Occasionally I have a flanger or chorus but for now its just the octave and all its glitchy goodness

I use a Sansamp Bass Driver, but thats more as my eq, with the amp as a power amp. That way I can DI from the pedal at large venues, keeping full control of on-stage volume, or if using someone elses amp, keep my sound, using their amp as a power amp.

If I could do the above with my amp, well I would, as I prefer the "bass - cable - amp -play" set-up.

I own a snarling dogs bootzilla fuzz/wah. its possibly the best and funkiest pedal I have ever seen. However I never use it.

My amp head has an o/d channel which is switchable. So except from that I dont use anything at all.

I love playing about with pedals and if a multi-fx box turns up for a decent price then am on it like a rash at a whore house.

infact,,,has anyone tried a damage control dual valve distortion pedal????????????

When I use effects, which is rare, I tend to use them as exactly that - to create an [i]effect[/i]. For that reason I am extremely unsubtle in their use and the reaction tends to be along the lines of "what the feck was [i]that[/i]?!"

In a previous life, in a jazz/funk/soul band; I used chorus quite a lot, but I'm not sure anyone really noticed much. I'm not really into subtlety so now I just try to keep my signal path as pure and clear as possible to cut through.

The only effects unit I currently own is a twenty-or-so year old Yamaha EMP100 that I keep trying (unsuccessfully!) to sell. It makes some really silly arpeggio type sounds which I like to play about with but could never use in a band scenario...

None usually but have an EHX bass synth for a few electronica numbers.

Used to use a compressor but wasn't sure how much that was doing given I've a valve preamp that I push fairly hard which is probably doing a bit of compression for me.

I find many effects a bit wearing if overdone. Just my taste.

I have a Zoom multi-effects pedal for when I want to play through my headphones.

I've a half-decent array on my pedalboard, but the wah only gets used as a volume pedal for a couple of bass-heavy intros the band plays and I hardly ever use the rest - bit of an OTT way to carry my tuner around, in fact.

The guitarists in both my bands use a fair amount of effects (flanger, overdrive, phaser in the rock band and spring reverb/echo in the surf band). Perhaps it's another thing that ties us bassists together - love of our own sound?

Effects - what are they, no not at all, not ever. As with some others, bass, cable, amp, cab and playing technique. Trying to use an effects pedal would make me even more likely to forget the chord sequences, and I have enough difficulty remembering them as it is.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063119' date='Dec 19 2010, 12:34 AM']but I certainly think that less is more with effects.[/quote]

That really depends entirely on the music, this for example:

Is I think one of the greatest basslines ever written, it just wouldn't be the same without all the effects.