Why become a member? ×

How many different Basschat Bass Bashes are there?

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks

Just wondering how many different Bass Bashes organised by Basschatters are now taking place, or have taken place, up and down the country?
The ones I've been to or have been involved in are:

South East Bass Bash (4 so far)
National Bass Bash (Northampton, 1 so far)
South Coast mini-bash (1 so far)

I know there's been a London Bash, a West Country Bash..the East Anglia one's coming up etc, etc..but overall - how many are there? if you've been to one or have been involved in running one, please let me know?

Thanks

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1049624' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:29 PM']Hi Folks

Just wondering how many different Bass Bashes organised by Basschatters are now taking place, or have taken place, up and down the country?
The ones I've been to or have been involved in are:

South East Bass Bash (4 so far)
National Bass Bash (Northampton, 1 so far)

I know there's been a London Bash, a West Country Bash..the East Anglia one's coming up etc, etc..but overall - how many are there? if you've been to one or have been involved in running one, please let me know?

Thanks

Nik[/quote]
I've helped organise a couple of big-ish North-East ones, and attended of loads of mini-bashes organised by Warwickhunt...

As a relative newcomer I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever tried to do a national meet-up rather than a bass bash?
Like picking a venue that's right for most - central UK for fairness??? Meeting up for laughs (and to prove that once you get in the same room all of the online scrapping goes out the window - [i]along with a few teeth, chairs & a table or two????[/i] :) )
and just having a few jars & chat rather than ogling basses??
As a scenario - not a suggestion - I'm imagining going to a gig by legendary bassist Jack Bruce at The Robin Nr Wolverhampton?
I know the venue well, it's very accessible with decent cheap acccomodation in the town - and the venue if you're quick. That's just a scenario as I said. The venue & gig could be by popular vote.

Or is an online forum best kept as that; online only???

On the subject of linking to famous-bassist gigs, a word of caution.

I've seen a number of guitar legends over the last few years and I have to tell you that it's running at 50/50 between "[i][b]impressive reminder of why his reputation is so great[/b][/i]" and "[i][b]for God's sake man, give it up, that's embarrassing[/b][/i]".

If you want to link to a Jack Bruce gig, best check him out first and make sure he can still play. :)

As a real piece of kite-flying, though, if we can get >50 easily to the South East Bass Bash then I'm assuming we could get >200 to a sufficiently attractive national bash.

That's an audience.

Don't link the Bash to a gig, make the gig part of the Bash.

For a paying audience of 200 you'd have no trouble at all getting Wilko Johnson along ... with Norman Watt-Roy.

Just saying.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1049635' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:35 PM']there's the Nottingham Bash, and I think there have been some in Scotland?[/quote]

There have been 3 in Nottingham now. The last one just a couple of weeks ago, organised by Tait. There are pics on the thread somewhere.

I also went to the Yorkshire Bash in Harrogate earlier this year, which was an excellent day.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1049670' date='Dec 6 2010, 06:11 PM']If you want to link to a Jack Bruce gig, best check him out first and make sure he can still play. :)

As a real piece of kite-flying, though, if we can get >50 easily to the South East Bass Bash then I'm assuming we could get >200 to a sufficiently attractive national bash.

That's an audience.

Don't link the Bash to a gig, make the gig part of the Bash.

For a paying audience of 200 you'd have no trouble at all getting Wilko Johnson along ... with Norman Watt-Roy.

Just saying.[/quote]
Yeah, that's why I said twice that it was just a scenario. I gave that example only as it was a name that 99.9% on here would recognise & [i]therefore be maybe more tempted to go as a package (????)[/i] & it is an actual event that's coming up.
Any and all circumstances, venue, area, artist were open to discussion as I said.
Just a thought, I was curious.

So..what we've got is:

South East Bash (4 so far)
National Bash, Northampton (1 so far)
North East Bash (2 so far)
Warwickhunt mini-bashes
Nottingham Bash (3 so far)
Moffat Bash
London Bash
Yorkshire Bash
Canvey Island Bash (Essex, South East Coast - first one April 2011)

Guess there's more than this though...?

I agree with Happy Jack; let's have a national bash and invite a couple of big names.. At the Northampton Bash, there was a bar which provided a great opportunity to get away from the basses and just have a chat.

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1049899' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:33 PM']So..what we've got is:

Warwickhunt mini-bashes
Nottingham Bash (3 so far)
Moffat Bash
London Bash
Yorkshire Bash

Guess there's more than this though...?

I agree with Happy Jack; let's have a national bash and invite a couple of big names.. At the Northampton Bash, there was a bar which provided a great opportunity to get away from the basses and just have a chat.[/quote]

Add the Canvey Island Bash (Essex, South East Coast) in April 2011 at Island studios :) with BC'er Dusty on site !

T

Okay..what we've got is:

Warwickhunt mini-bashes
Nottingham Bash (4 so far)
Moffat Bash
London Bash
Yorkshire Bash (Harrogate)
Canvey Island Bash (Essex, South East Coast - first one April 2011)
Dorset Bash
North West Bash
Portsmouth Bash
East Anglia Bash (first one 9/01/11)

So where would we do a national bash?

I'm glad this has come up. I looked into a national bash last year, and had the idea of inviting a few "names" along.
One of the problems is obviously they will want a fee. And the problem will be covering the fee's if not enough members turn up. I think I'm right in saying that the Basschat coffers arn't exactly overflowing ( Ped will duff me up if I get this wrong) :) so who will pay the difference if we don't make enough dosh. I'm not trying to put the dameners on it by any means, I quite happy to get involved in organising this if we can get it up off the ground.

If you charge say £10 a head entrance it may do it. I was looking at venues near where the M1 joins the M69. The A14 junction isn't that far away from there as well.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1050472' date='Dec 7 2010, 01:11 PM']I'm glad this has come up. I looked into a national bash last year, and had the idea of inviting a few "names" along.
One of the problems is obviously they will want a fee. And the problem will be covering the fee's if not enough members turn up. I think I'm right in saying that the Basschat coffers arn't exactly overflowing ( Ped will duff me up if I get this wrong) :) so who will pay the difference if we don't make enough dosh. I'm not trying to put the dameners on it by any means, I quite happy to get involved in organising this if we can get it up off the ground.

If you charge say £10 a head entrance it may do it. I was looking at venues near where the M1 joins the M69. The A14 junction isn't that far away from there as well.[/quote]

How about talking to some of the manufacturers/distributors to get their endorsees along? That number of bass players in a room - they should be falling over themselves to help!

I think that Birmingham, or near there, would make sense..and in general I think it's about time another one happened..though some people may feel that having a local one is more than enough.

Likewise, I'm up for talking about it with anyone who's interested in helping make it happen.