Why become a member? ×

The Best Bass Playing Job

Pete Academy

Nate Watts is Stevie Wonder's bass player. Darryl Jones tours with the Stones. Carol Kaye and Jamerson's day job was playing on classic hits. Someone I know has the contract for the Wogan show and gets to back best-selling artists every week.

Who do you think has or has had the best bass playing job? Do you have it?

Without a doubt, it would be Pino Palladino for me. His style, his quality, the range of music he has been involved with and more importantly, the fact the he looks like he still loves every minute of it!

Let's just say I'm a tad envious of him :)

[quote name='obbm' post='1048089' date='Dec 5 2010, 11:30 AM']I'm going to throw Dave Swift's name into this discussion.

Many many years with Jools, many many Later shows and many different guests to back.

Always something new.[/quote]

On the downside,he has to play with Jools. :)

I'm also going to mention Danny Thompson.

I recently played some live sessions for an upcoming act, and Danny had provided the bass parts for the CD/recordings that we were touring.

Needless to say, the crowd were expecting the legendary Danny Thompson on bass in the live shows too. It appeared that I didn't disappoint, but I have to say the pressure was bloody awful. Never again. I don't know how they can do that all the time!

Pino Palladino or Nathan East. As far as I'm aware Nathan East is probably the highest paid, he was getting close to £750,000 a year for playing with Phil Collins alone, and I should imagine Pino would be fairly close to this also, perhaps more. Ricky Minor, Freddie Washington, Darryl Jones and Will Lee will also have the most profitable session seats.

Edited by risingson

For me it would be the gig with someone like Whitesnake - great players, big gigs, touring & getting to see the world in a certain amount of style and a touch of fame without the intrusion. Not sure if the money would be as good as you might hope, but it would raise your profile in the business that would pay off in the long term!

The new bass player, Michael Devin, used to play in in Kenny Wayne Shepherd's touring band - another gig that I wouldn't mind!