Why become a member? ×

Black basses

EdwardHimself

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/11/2021 at 18:15, mr4stringz said:

Felt a good time to contribute to the thread. 

Dano Longhorn

JMJ Mustang
‘76 Gibson Ripper (much modded)

FSR PJ Mustang

1A8214D3-9AE5-4DF8-AB25-5FE1B614F616.jpeg

Time to update, having recently added an Epi Vintage Pro T-Bird to the ranks…

IMG_5744.jpeg

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...

Edit!!!: Damn, that memory.... Forgot I already posted this a couple of pages back. I could have sworn that there was no star, indicating that I already posted in this thread, next to the headline of this thread on the index page of this sub forum.

Odd...

Anyway, I apologize for this spam.

But here we go again :

This just 28.6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that I pulled the stock pickups out of and installed an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup instead, wired directly to the output jack socket, the stock side mounted barrel type one replaced for a regular front mounted jack socket, installed in one of the redundant pot holes.

This is actually my main instrument at the moment, and I have it tuned in tenor bass tuning (which among others Victor Wooten, but especially Stanley Clarke, makes wide use of), that is A standard tuning (as the 4 upper strings on a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning), and strung accordingly with coated Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings, for the strings to not fall through the bridge string mounting holes.

So without further ado: Here it is, Maple neck with a 12" radius Rosewood fretboard, and medium frets (they are slightly smaller than standard medium jumbo frets), an unusually light weight Mahogany body, and with various visual mods, name is "Dud Bottomfeeder" (knob closest to neck is now red though) :

image.thumb.png.6e378bb3ddd33bcc5953744cbbd3f391.png

Love it to bits, and it is such a joy to play.

Ponder on maybe replacing the tuners for the 2 lower strings (A and D (which would normally be E and A)) with the black tuners from the neck of the GSRM20B Mikro Bass that donated the body (that one had horrible fretwork, which I managed to ruin completely, doing a haphazard attempt to level them. The neck that is installed now, originating from my first GSRM20 Mikro Bass, on the other hand had perfect fretwork from stock), as well as replacing the bridge with individual ABM mono rail bridge pieces, milled from solid brass, and in the same instance reduce the string spacing from the standard 19mm of the stock bridge currently installed to 17mm instead.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Faulty memory...
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/08/2023 at 17:31, mr4stringz said:

Time to update, having recently added an Epi Vintage Pro T-Bird to the ranks…

IMG_5744.jpeg

@mr4stringz I'm liking the Dano, is the neck pickup approximately in the same spot as the p-pickup on the pj Mustang? I  have the exact same fsr Mustang as yours, but I do miss 24 frets with good access...

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

1 hour ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

@mr4stringz I'm liking the Dano, is the neck pickup approximately in the same spot as the p-pickup on the pj Mustang? I  have the exact same fsr Mustang as yours, but I do miss 24 frets with good access...

Hey. Afraid not, it’s a fair bit further forward towards the neck on the Dano. They’re fun basses though for sure and certainly a little different to the norm, though I bought this one largely for my 11 year old to mess about on.

• 5 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Interesting photo,  I've always felt the Gibson would look larger than a P, but it's quite the opposite!

You really need a black Rickenbacker to go with them now...20231229_171837.thumb.jpg.7a97f54d1ae1b3fc0456f5cd13e73e8c.jpg

Well the ripper definitely has some Ric leaning sound wise…

im on a buying ban…4 basses and 1 guitar this month. Although one of the basses was a misjudged eBay gamble. 

• 2 weeks later...