Why become a member? ×

How many amps/rigs do you have?

ThomBassmonkey

I've just got the one atm, but seriously tempted to get a lightweight rig too for practices and small gigs. My current rig is my dream rig, it's just a royal PITA to lug a 1kw head and a 4x10 to practices, very tempting to get a micro head and 2 small cabs (maybe 2 neo 1x12s).

Please just tell me I'm being stupid and I only need one amp. :)

All older Trace gear: 2 heads (AH250 MK-IV/GP-11, and an AH250SMX), an 1153T cab (1x15), and one Series-6 715-S combo.

[i]Various combinations of above...[/i]
*Easy carting the combo around on wheels, it's plenty loud and present for rehearsals and lots of gigs;
*715 Combo + 1153T ext cab;
*AH250 head + 1153T cab;
*Backup head...

I'm building a Bill Fitzmaurice cab over the winter, an older design- Omni Tallboy 15- to use with the AH250 heads also, for bigger gigs. Though honestly, I don't really think I need to!

You can have "too much gear", but this is relatively spartan, without the Omni cab built yet.

Let me see...

Currently have:

Trace Elliot 1215 GP12-X 300w combo - packed and ready for sale;
Trace Elliot Boxer15 15W combo - for bedroom practise;
Norton KP600 PA amp into home made EV TL606 with EVM15L mounted and a 2-tweter bright box - TL606 waiting for tolex cover so it can sit in reharsal studio;
Waiting for delivery of a Shuttle 9.0 and trying to take the Midget T from Gafbass02's hands wile GASing for a Berg AE112 and a Promethean 110...;

And very recently sold:

Trace Elliot GP7 SM 300W combo;
Behringer Ultrabass BX 1200 120W combo;

Oh! And i'm using a Laney 300W floor monitor for reharsals cause it's lighter to move around until the Norton/TL606 rig isn't fully operational...

Hope this helps for something...

Cheers

If i remember correctly, i have...
At home Orange Terror head and SP210 cab,
One rehearsal space, 2 x Ashdown 2x10 cabs. I take the Orange head.
Second rehearsal space, Ashdown Mag300 2x10 combo and Ashdown 1x15 deep cab.
Somebody's garage(can't remember who) Acoustic 360 head and cab.
Somebody else's garage, Peavey 2x15, HH 4X12 and Crate 4x10.

I tthink thats it.......................!!! :)

You should always have a spare one, two or few?? :-)

I've got four rigs and manage to use all of them :-)

In the spirit of greater detail I'll elucidate further..

Practice with an Ashdown MAG300/15 (Eminence loaded)
Small gig/need to go louder I add a MAJ 1 x 15 or 1x 12 to the MAG300.
Proper rig is Ashdown RPM1/APM1000 and Warwick Terminator cab. As backup I have a Behringer V-Amp XT Pro and Amcron Geodyne II.
Plus other cabs and I can mix and match as needed (or leave stuff behind between practices)..

So in real terms I have two core setups, but I have options is case something goes down..

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1005955' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:07 AM']I've just got the one atm, but seriously tempted to get a lightweight rig too for practices and small gigs. My current rig is my dream rig, it's just a royal PITA to lug a 1kw head and a 4x10 to practices, very tempting to get a micro head and 2 small cabs (maybe 2 neo 1x12s).

Please just tell me I'm being stupid and I only need one amp. :)[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' post='1006057' date='Oct 30 2010, 08:38 AM']You should always have a spare one, two or few?? :-)

I've got four rigs and manage to use all of them :-)[/quote]

Trace elliot series 6 with an avatar 2x10T 750watt delta cab loud enough for anything use it all the time for rehearsals its in great nick
Ashdown LG1000 and superfly 4x8 cab hardly used but not a bad sound used it once live i think, thought this would be a lightweight rig but the superfly 4x8 is not really that lightweight, well it is if you compare it to a concrete block a great cab though.
SMX rack preamp and 300watt floor monitor use this a lot live DI'ed
Sansamp DI use this a lot these days......

In the 'shed' which the misses doesnt know about...................

Trace elliot 130SM series 6 AH200 mint perfect working order
Trace Elliot Hexavalve, finding decent valves for this baby isnt easy
Dead Hartke combo needs new output board..... i will get round to it!
Ashdown ABM500 made in England really early one plus abm 1x15 great
Trace Elliot AH300 SM parts donor
Rack head with trace power amps which i dont use to heavy

the morel of the story is its not how much stuff you got, it how well you can hide it..........

Sad thing is I hardly use any of this stuff any more except my rehearsal rig as most of the stuff I do nowadays is preamp DI and monitor

Edited by dan670844

One combo & used for everything. Practice, small - medium gigs on it's own or as a monitor & DI'd to the PA at larger venues.

I also have a Vox Venue 30 bass combo on loan that never gets used for much other than home use if the MB combo is in the car.
I need to give it back as vie had it for about 5 years!

One good amp - Thunderfunk 550

Two good cabs - Aguilar DB12s

I'd love to say that I use my two cabs as a modular system with one cab for rehearsals and small gigs, with the other cab added for larger gigs... but I'd be a liar as I use 2 cabs for EVERYTHING! :)

However to answer the OP. Can I ask what the point is of two (or more) different amp/cab combinations which you use for different sessions? If you reason it out then you'll end up rehearsing with one 'sound' and end up gigging with a different one! BTW this isn't a criticism as I've been down the route of having gear left at rehearsal rooms and another rig for gigs etc. but it doesn't make any sense when you reason it through.

As it happens I've gone down the route of considering what single cab solution I could have that would sound as good as my present 2 cab rig but yet still retain portability. Then I'd have one amp + one cab!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1005955' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:07 AM']I've just got the one atm, but seriously tempted to get a lightweight rig too for practices and small gigs. My current rig is my dream rig, it's just a royal PITA to lug a 1kw head and a 4x10 to practices, very tempting to get a micro head and 2 small cabs (maybe 2 neo 1x12s).

Please just tell me I'm being stupid and I only need one amp. :lol:[/quote]
1 more Mesa than I had at 8-45 this morning.....I will really have to take a sanity check as got stuff in the garage & the attic thats forgotten about...I feels an ebay moment coming on... :)
T

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006271' date='Oct 30 2010, 08:34 AM']...Can I ask what the point is of two (or more) different amp/cab combinations which you use for different sessions? If you reason it out then you'll end up rehearsing with one 'sound' and end up gigging with a different one!...[/quote]

Good point... for my part, I play in more than one gig; I use the combo for toting around to rehearsals on a hand truck, and since the stuff is all Trace product, the differences in gig-rigs are easily tweakable from band to band- I'm using the combo to power its cab and an extension (1153). The heads are back-up, and the cab (ext for combo) is just meant for moving more air; so the 715-S combo is the center of my rig. At a gig the rooms change and the bands tend to change a bit as well, so it's not really a very tight science anyway. Nonetheless, there's a pretty good degree of consistency in my gear, even if I have to mix n' match with heads/cab/combo.

Also I kind of like the adventure of dealing with what I've got in the moment- make the music anyway! It opens the door for a certain randomness that brings a degree of spontaneity into the evening!

But you've got a great point to make there. Jaco would agree with you, for the most part I think.

Edited by Count Bassie

:) :lol: :)
Fancy coming on this GAS-zone and asking if you need more gear!

FWIW, I have an Ampeg combo (that I'm using tonight for a small pub gig) and an Ashdown head + 210 and 115 cabs. I sometimes think about getting an even smaller combo for practice.

But having been lurking and posting here for the past few years I've concluded that my real deficiency is on the bass front. Will I ever be able to hold my head up again if I confess to only owning one? Yes, I know, it's hard to even comprehend isn't it!

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1006399' date='Oct 30 2010, 11:04 AM']:) :lol: :)
Fancy coming on this GAS-zone and asking if you need more gear!

FWIW, I have an Ampeg combo (that I'm using tonight for a small pub gig) and an Ashdown head + 210 and 115 cabs. I sometimes think about getting an even smaller combo for practice.

But having been lurking and posting here for the past few years I've concluded that my real deficiency is on the bass front. Will I ever be able to hold my head up again if I confess to only owning one? Yes, I know, it's hard to even comprehend isn't it![/quote]

If you play regularly, 2 is kind of a given, even if your 2nd is a stick with a pickup installed. Beyond that, well, yeah you should definitely be ashamed of yourself!! :)

EBS Fafner (The big amp)
Trace Elliot GP12 SMX 300 (back up to EBS bought on ebay for cheap)
Two of the new Trace Elliot cabs (the 2x10 and the bigger 1x15, mixing drivers oh no!)
Mesa Walkabout 1 x15 (My 'lightweight' portable rig, its really loud and can fit in taxis no problem)
Trace Elliot GP 7 SM 300 1x15 combo (my main and only rig for about 8 years until I got the EBS and Mesa last year. It now lives up north so I have an amp when I go home).

To be honest, I have been pretty blown away by the power of the Mesa, to the point that I could almost sell the Fafner and use the Mesa to drive the larger cabs. I'm probably going to cross that bridge when I really really need the money though. I will be looking at cabs or a five string bass before I look at any more amps. Probably a 4ohm 4x10 or 2x12 to replace the stack I have just now. It is almost overkill, though it does look cool!

Home practice, rehearsal with 'mature' musicians, acoustic gigs - Tecamp 1x12 combo

Rehearsal with those who think the answer to any problem is to turn it up, small gigs - Eden Metro 2x10 combo

Big gigs - Eden Metro 2x10 combo and Eden 2x15 cab

I can't see me wanting/needing to change/add anything to my amp collection for some time now. The only thing i would change is swapping the Eden Metro for a WT head and 2x10 cab, just to give a little more versatility. But thats nitpicking.. :)