Why become a member? ×

What Songs in your setlist do you hate playing?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1005332' date='Oct 29 2010, 03:27 PM']Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison, an oft requested song,[/quote]

I don't dislike playing it, I just dislike the fact that we play it.

Also: Sex on fire, but thankfully we almost definitely ditched it. Really. No seriously.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='1005434' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:44 PM']We do Don't let me Down - Beatles. Great song but its really grating on me. We are 3 piece and for some reason it just doesn't work, it doesen't feel fluid enough. So I changed the bass line so it fits more.[/quote]
I put my foot down on 'Don't let me Down' - point blank refused to do it. I don't want to do that too often though, so I just grumble mildly about 'paint it black' and grit my teeth.

I know I'm not supposed to admit to it, but I quite enjoy doing 'brown eyed girl'. At least until the harmonica warbles all over the breakdown where it should go down to bass & drums ruining the effect as the concept of not playing for a few bars is quite a difficult one to grasp.

Many many standards will crop up on the bandstand just because they are an 'easy fix' to a set.
I don't mind them in that situation and context as they become a jamming vehicle for the players.

You need to have something to say though, as solos for solos sake can get as tedious for the band as it can be for the audience.

If someone droppped in 'Heavens Door' and the band could take it somewhere interesting, then that is ok.

For a regular band though, those sort of songs would/should be on the banned list...IMO.

From a bass players point of view

Sit Down

Its more boring to play than sweet home alabama, the drummer even offered to swap instruments for it

But it does get the crowd going, so I just get into it and feel it would be selfish to drop it, I've songs I love in also

To be fair to the band, if I said please no, they would drop it

Playing a 50th birthday tomorrow, and for some odd reason 'Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay' has been dropped in the set.

I'm depping this gig, and have had two rehearsals... the drummer is playing it far too straight, so the usually chunky, warm, rolling bass sounds like a pile of sh*t.

Also, i'll advised 'Ring Of Fire' as an Encore. I hope we don't get that far.

I've now left the band in question - it gradually progressed from just hating "Dance the night away" to include all the UB40 stuff, and then a few others, and then we brought in the most rocky number of the set which was "Summer of 69" which I didn't hate playing but the guitarist didn't grasp the concept of down-down-down-down rather than down-up-down-up so I decided to go back to rock.

Out of the stuff in all the current bands' repertoires, "Gloria" is the one. Now that Mrs Zero is probably the new lead vocalist, that's gone.

I've quit my band now, but I hated playing anything by Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon and I forced them to drop Holiday by Green Day. I hated Sweet Home Alabama too, until I started playing it fretless and put the guitar riff in as the other guitarist couldn't play it. I once did a full solo too :)

Edited by goblin