Why become a member? ×

What Songs in your setlist do you hate playing?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I play originals and I hate a couple of our older songs. We play death metal and have slowly progressed from melodic death to blackened death so the change is obvious. I, as the songwriter, really hate the change in dynamics between songs in our set. I'm hoping when we release our EP we will abandon the old style. Luckily we aren't having much luck with gigs at the moment so I don't have to play them :)

Sex on Fire,Dakota and bloody Freebird which to me sounds pants as we only have one guitard but every pub we do wants to hear it. Admittedly he's a bloody good guitard and me and the keys try to back him up as best we can but it just doesn't do it for me.

Just started doing Hero, Nickelback/Chad Kroeger and that is starting to grate as well!
Still, the other 30+ songs are good for me :)

From my last band that I quit, that I now dep for! :) ....That perennial favourite 'Mustang Sally', 'Unchain my Heart' , 'Hey Baby', 'Love Me Do' & 'Sweet Home Chicago' - all standard working mens club fodder. :lol:

Edited by nick

The band that I rejoined after quitting have got 'just a day' by feeder,'sweet child of mine'
and some foo fighters to be learnt . But me and Mr. Drums are gonna say ''no!''
The song that pi***s me off at the moment is 'somebody told me' by the killers.

One minute we were gonna do it, then we weren't. I can play the intro fine,but without realising it
I was overfilling the chorus ,making it sound s**te. As for the bridge..?
If we mess this up next gig, then I suggest this goes down on the hate list.

Thankfully ,we're not a 'brown eye'd girl/Mustang Sally' sort of band,
but we do 'pork and beans(which hardly anyone seems to know) and 'tie your mother down'..

Think we'll end up giving 'I predict a riot' a rest too...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1007688' date='Oct 31 2010, 07:02 PM']As much as I like 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number', I've played it on every gig for almost 14 years. :)[/quote]
never played it,ever, even once,... but would love to. what a tune!
count your blessings, my friend
now "Dancin' in the Dark", on the other hand.....GAHHH!!

As I'd only recently joined a standard covers band, I didn't think I'd have a say yet but I've already got "On the road again" and "I'd rather go blind" dropped The latter being so boring , I started to add the hammond with my right hand while the keys player played sax. Still, they're gone now.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1007769' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:06 PM']Our band insists on doing 2 Sham 69 numbers "We're all going down the pub." They seem to be real drunk lads anthems.[/quote]

Are you referring to"Hurry Up Harry?"

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1007769' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:06 PM']Our band insists on doing 2 Sham 69 numbers in the classic punk tribute section of the gig. I bloody hate those songs - "kids r united" and "We're all going down the pub." They seem to be real drunk lads anthems.[/quote]

I'd love to be able to play those two songs in our set...I know they're more drinking anthems than anything, but they're a bit of fun.

On a topical note no one's mentioned the 'C' word yet.

With Christmas coming up and gigs in the offing my function band is again having to gloomily contemplate putting at least a couple of 'Christmas' numbers in the set.

So, my pet hate is playing any 'Christmas' number ever done by any artist - they are all without exception appalling.

[quote name='Martin E' post='1009306' date='Nov 2 2010, 09:16 AM']On a topical note no one's mentioned the 'C' word yet.

With Christmas coming up and gigs in the offing my function band is again having to gloomily contemplate putting at least a couple of 'Christmas' numbers in the set.

So, my pet hate is playing any 'Christmas' number ever done by any artist - they are all without exception appalling.[/quote]

We are working on a couple of xmas tunes funked up to suit us.... 'Walking in a Stevie wonder Land' anyone.... ;p

[quote name='icastle' post='1013974' date='Nov 6 2010, 08:09 AM']Sex on Fire :)

I always have to resist the urge to grab a petrol can and a box of matches to put it out of my misery...[/quote]
I was so glad that that one was not mentioned by anyone to play. In fact the guitarist point blank refuses to put it forward as "it's been done to death".

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1005295' date='Oct 29 2010, 02:13 PM']We have 'paint it black' in the setlist for tonight. What a stupid song with a stupid bassline. Punters seem to like it though.[/quote]

Hate that repeated slide up at the end.

I dread anything by The Doors (I know it was keyboard on the records) and Status Quo. I like a lot of Quo songs but the bass lines are just mind-numbing (and finger-numbing).

The band I joined used to play a cover of Racey's Some Girls, When I say cover I mean they've taken the lyrics from that and mashed a few Ramones tracks together to form some kind of bastard child. I refuse to play it, mainly because I have some metal block and can never remember how it goes.

On the subject of christmas tunes, we have a song called Christmas Sucks.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1013991' date='Nov 6 2010, 09:03 AM']I was so glad that that one was not mentioned by anyone to play. In fact the guitarist point blank refuses to put it forward as "it's been done to death".[/quote]

humph - Wish they'd done it to death before "whoever it was" bunged it on their album "whatever it's called"...

... still, at least it shows that I'm a hop and gravy muso.... :)

[quote name='Martin E' post='1009306' date='Nov 2 2010, 09:16 AM']On a topical note no one's mentioned the 'C' word yet.

So, my pet hate is playing any 'Christmas' number ever done by any artist - they are all without exception appalling.[/quote]

I thought using the C word would get me banned... :)