Why become a member? ×

Bass inflation

slobluesine

Well, I guess it's his bass so he can sell it for what he likes. It's not really in the spirit of basschat to profiteer this way, but I can understand wanting to get all the value you can from a sale - times are hard after all.

I'd be inclined to ask them to match the previous price, if that was a fair representation of the instrument's worth. Either that or simply say "thanks but no thanks".

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1004939' date='Oct 29 2010, 11:34 AM']so....i miss a Bass on here by minutes :lol: , few days later i get a PM from the guy who bought it offering it to me for an extra £150, Bass ticks all the boxes for him but he's skint

so... do i pay the extra £150 or tell him to F@%k right off :)[/quote]
The latter but nicely!

I tend to cut my nose off etc etc due to the principles involved. He couldn't have been that skint if he actually bought it but only you know what it's worth to you. Maybe the original price plus his delivery costs if there were any.

After all, he's really asking you to do him a favour isn't he?

Is it a good deal even with the extra £150
If it had originally been advertised at the original amount plus the £150 would you looked to buy it

If the answer to both is yes, I`d say go for it, but insist that both shipping and paypal charges are met by the vendor. He`ll still be making a nice profit out of it.

Whilst it may be a bit unethical, after all, we should at least deal with each other respectfully, and save this type of malarkey for Evilbay, unfortunately thats business.

Lord Sugar will probably recruit him for the next Apprentice series!

I think it's a tough call and does depend on how much you want the ass and if it's still a good price.

Blatant short term profiteering is generally 'frowned' on here but it's obviously down to each individual buyer/seller.

I'd sugest that unless it was a super bargain in the first place then it's not going to fetch an additional £150 in the open market if it goes back up for sale. . .

We rarely ever know the full history of such things and there could be a million ifs and buts.

You can only really decide based on what's on the table. Offer what it's worth [u]to you[/u] or walk away.

But there's no need to tell him to "[i]F@%k right off[/i]", that's just plain rude.

I am not a fan of kit that does the rounds here. I'd be thinking either they bought on a whim and it didn't come off....which is possible, or there is something that wasn't as they thought and and selling it on.

I think it is poor form to mark-up the bass, in such a short space of time and I'd be tending to say, no.

It is a buyers market, so he needs to deal with you and make it attractive enough...as since he has left a bad taste, I assume, I don't think I'd pay over what he paid.

There are ways to do this sort of thing..and most just want their money back and that sounds like an honest kind of mistake and fair enough..but the way you describe..???

If you still want it..I'd come up with a price and say take it or leave it.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1005151' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:33 PM']+1

Is it still a good price? Do you still want it?

Start bargaining. If he's that skint he'll probably haggle.[/quote]
My view too. Probably very genuine, first sniff someone isn't & I walk. He may have incured additional expenses.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1004952' date='Oct 29 2010, 11:42 AM']i think the extra £150 is for HIM :lol:

if ur skint why buy a Bass in the first place, cost him £1000 too[/quote]
How much would you pay for this same bass from a dealer.....Is there a saving to be made...would you have paid more to the original owner if he had advertised it £150 more?????..

You pays yer money yer makes your choice.

Is it really wrong for a fella to try to make a few quid?????

It s him or cash corrupters......

Dont see the problem REALLY :)

You have 3 options really Yes, No or Haggle..

Yes, he is taking the piss, but if the re sale price is how much he's offering he's entitled to do that... (but it's not really in the BC karma)

You never know what's happened, he could have just release he has massive tax bill or his boiler just has broke etc..

If I really want it and it's good price, I'd haggle to the the original price

I wonder if the seller is reading this thread ????? :-)

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1005450' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:52 PM']new price for the Bass is around £1500, not a Vintage jobby, dont get why the price should increase £150 when the guys literally owned it for 24 hours?

oh well, should have got there quicker in the first place, it'll show up here soon i think cos i've offered less than he paid for it[/quote]

good man,i hope you offered him £150 less than he paid,after all if he's really skint :)