Why become a member? ×

How long is the bass in your hands each day?

arthurhenry

Could be an intense practice session, playing to your favourite gramaphone recordings, or noodling in front of the TV. How much do you need to do to stay in shape? I do 90mins every day. Used to be 3 hours, before I had kids!

Edit: Replies of "about 40 inches" will be ignored!

Edited by arthurhenry

used to be every day for several hours a day - lucky if its 20 minutes a week now

I use the Sylvester Stallone workout method - concentrated, focussed playing over a short space of time.

I think my playing has come on leaps and bounds over the past year with little practice. I'm not bragging.

My favourite drummer of all time Buddy Rich never practiced ever.

Not as often as I should, and not as often if I want to progress. It probably averages out to be < 10mins per day - shocking.

I will really have to get into the habit of having a bass in the living room to pick up and try to play along to whatever is on the tellybox, that should help train my ear more. When it comes to jamming out song ideas it takes me longer than I'd like to get into what is being played. I think a wall hanger of some sort is in order, as we've no room to have a bass on a stand.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='999541' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:35 PM']My favourite drummer of all time Buddy Rich never practiced ever.[/quote]

I think that's just another part of the myth. Joe Morrello says that him and Buddy often used to sit and practice together.

I usually pick the bass up for at least an hour a day,although if I'm feeling it,I could easily be there from anywhere between 2-3 hours and all day.

Got a baby and a stressful job so not as often as I like. I try and get in at least 3 hours a week plus a noodle in front of the TV. I look back at my uni days and can't believe I wasted so much time getting pissed and not practicing so I try and make every minute count.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='999983' date='Oct 25 2010, 01:30 PM']Got a baby and a stressful job so not as often as I like. I try and get in at least 3 hours a week plus a noodle in front of the TV. I look back at my uni days and can't believe I wasted so much time getting pissed and not practicing so I try and make every minute count.[/quote]

Do what you can man - I know how kids can change your life - and lots of work too!

Keep at it that's the main thing