Why become a member? ×

What's going on in the (bass) For Sale Forum

Lfalex v1.1

As I type, in the "Basses for sale" part of the forum, there are all kinds of exotica!

To wit;
Multiple Ken Smiths
A Fodera and a Fodera-a-like
Overwaters
A Wal
US Spector
Valenti
Alleva Coppolo

and God only knows what else...

Yet few or no Warwick/Fender/MM that are usually the bread and butter of the For Sale part of the board.
What's going on?

Is it another one of those phases during which a given brand becomes deeply unfashionable (as Warwick & MM sometimes do)
except [i]really[/i] expensive?

Answers on a postcard (or even below) please! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='995791' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:08 PM']As I type, in the "Basses for sale" part of the forum, there are all kinds of exotica!

To wit;
Multiple Ken Smiths
A Fodera and a Fodera-a-like
Overwaters
A Wal
US Spector
Valenti
Alleva Coppolo

and God only knows what else...

Yet few or no Warwick/Fender/MM that are usually the bread and butter of the For Sale part of the board.
What's going on?

Is it another one of those phases during which a given brand becomes deeply unfashionable (as Warwick & MM sometimes do)
except [i]really[/i] expensive?

Answers on a postcard (or even below) please! :)[/quote]

I was sort of thinking the opposite, that there were more MM basses than usual on at the moment. Get your point about the Smith's though. None for ages and then, London bus syndrome. Seem to have been loads of Alembics too.

I reckon it's just people realising that they really only play that their Squire jazz most of the time and it's dead money if the exotica just sits in a corner.

Surely we haven't reached the astonishing realisation that a good player can make almost anything sound half-decent, and that the benefits offered by expensive instruments are not only incremental but subject to the law of diminishing returns when compared to the fiscal outlay? :)
What would we do with all our time and money then?!

(Thinks of Bilbo's earlier post and starts saving for a rainy day.)

And the prize goes to:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='995842' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:45 PM']Surely we haven't reached the astonishing realisation that a good player can make almost anything sound half-decent, and that the benefits offered by expensive instruments are not only incremental but subject to the law of diminishing returns when compared to the fiscal outlay? :)[/quote]

Congratulations, you win a weekend for two in February.

There are going to be good players with expensive gear but yes, I believe that you can gig with almost anything as long as its made decently

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='995859' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:57 PM']Congratulations, you win a weekend for two in February.[/quote]

Wow! Cool! Thanks. The Mrs will be delighted!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='995860' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:58 PM']... isn't it just that times are very tough and some people are having to liquidate bass-related assets to raise fund for other things in life which [i]may[/i] be more essential right now?[/quote]

Well at least I won't have to sell my Status and Vigier to pay for a weekend away in February!!! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='995842' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:45 PM']Surely we haven't reached the astonishing realisation that a good player can make almost anything sound half-decent, and that the benefits offered by expensive instruments are not only incremental but subject to the law of diminishing returns when compared to the fiscal outlay? :)
What would we do with all our time and money then?!

(Thinks of Bilbo's earlier post and starts saving for a rainy day.)[/quote]

who knows..maybe that question needs to be answered on an individual basis.
In my case, I have a Sei Flam5 headed tha tI am thinking of selling ..and have pondered over it for months...but since I have had it from a new build, can't quite
bring myself to put it up here. Some basses seem to do the rounds here..for whatever reason, and I don't want to see that for a bass that has a degree of sentimental value.

As I am not desperate to sell, I have in mind a price I would expect and that is it, atm.

As for what I have replaced it with...2 more of the same basses but J5 versions which more suit my needs at this time.

I would think that sometimes when you need a large amount of money relatively quickly it's easier (though no less painful!) to liquidate one 'high-end/high value' bass than try to sell many lower-end/lower value basses.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='995798' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:10 PM']No - its a load of people trying to sell gear before the rest of us lose our jobbs and can't afford to buy it.[/quote]

Perhaps it's testament to my over-use of Facebook that I tried vainly to "like" this post!

I think there's been an increase in the number of overseas basses for sale which has definitely increased the high end quality. There's even been a few USA owned items here.

There's been a few seriously nice things cropping up recently - good news as far as I'm concerned :)

I'm not selling but I'm not buying either... but I agree with all points made thus far - you don't need an expensive bass just talent to sound good and perhaps some people are looking at how many basses they own, and how much they are worth, and thinking do I really need so many? I have three and that's my lot...

There have been 3 basses recently come up that fit all the criteria for a bass worth buying for me (I stick to one set of measurements I know I find comfy and ignore all basses that don't hit all - reduces the amount of basses that induce GAS!). I can't recall there ever being more than one up at once before!

My US P-bass was listed two or three weeks ago. I've hardly pushed it though but rest assured there is a P-bass there to represent the currently under represented Fenders.

I do think the market has changed massively over the last 12 months. Not a recent thing, it's ever since the phrase credit crunch was coined.

There have been some incredible basses on the pages over the past few weeks. There are loads of beautiful basses on there at the moment!

I sold this there the other week:

And bought this:

Perhaps people are waking up to see that the old fashioned stuff like Fender and MM etc etc is good, but a bit out of date and that incredible, high quality handmade basses like these are more affordable than ever. I sold the Alembic for £600, I bought the ACG for 3950. The ACG was handbuilt two hours drive from my house...probably less if I had my foot down!